Dragonfire Telecaster Pickups

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Bigjoedo, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Bigjoedo

Bigjoedo TDPRI Member

Hello All,

I was updating the electronics on a Squier Thinline telecaster. I like the Telecaster single coil twang but they are sometimes too bright. So I replaced the original single coil pickups with Dragonfire Alnico 5 rails for telecaster. They Definitely need 500K pots. These pickups are more balanced yet still have the tele twang, but not ear-piercing highs. I hesitated to buy "cheap pickups" but did not want to spend $150 or more for a set. These were $60. These pickups are worth the price and sound very good. Hope this helps other people.

Bigjoedo

jjudas, JK202, jimilee and 2 others like this.
  2. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Had dragonfire hexbuckers in a aria bolt on explorer which were screaming and made the guitar sound so good. Had good experiences and considering on buying a bridge pup for the esquire but having tons of trouble on what I actually like.

JK202 likes this.
  3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I have Dragonfires I'm a few of my modest priced guitars.
    And I have been buying sets for future projects.
    They are great PUPS for the price.

djh22 likes this.
  4. JK202

JK202 TDPRI Member

Gotta agree w/ Fendergyrl and others... I installed the Texas Blues pups recently in my Squier Bullet Tele. I also got their Area 52s for my Affinity Strat - the difference there was astounding. And I put their humbuckers in my Ibanez GAX70. Inexpensive guitars all, but w/ DF's pups it was a great improvement over the stock ones and only $50-60 a set.

Cheers,

JK

FenderGyrl and djh22 like this.
  5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

The base tone of the pickups will be different depending on the moddel, and of course, I have no problems believing that these pickups are good.

But if you don't want piercing high end... why do they definitely need 500k pots... As I understand it 500k pots let more highs through than 250k pots....

JK202 likes this.
  6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Adding my 2 cents to the comments of JK, Fendergyrl and others. I am quite happy with the Dragonfire H90s and Vintage Buckers.

Aqua Strat SN-85071019 004.jpg Oscar Schmidt OE20G SN-S16090179 003.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    JK202 and FenderGyrl like this.
  7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I put the same rails pickups in my tele. They sound great. I used 500k pots, and lowered the pickups just a bit. About a nickels width at the apex of the arc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FenderGyrl likes this.
  8. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I picked up a modified Squire 51 with a pair of Dragonfires, makes the guitar.

[​IMG] 20190701_193916.jpg

hellopike, JK202 and FenderGyrl like this.
  9. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Good to know so many happy customers with Dragonfire pups. I've been thinking about upgrading the electronics in my Squeir Bullet with a 4 way wiring harness from Mojo tone. Not sure about what pups to go with. I wasn't sure if the Dragonfires were a real upgrade from the the stock pups that my Bullet came with.

JK202 likes this.
  10. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm very pleased with the Dragonfire Fat Tele pickups that I used to upgrade my $65 Sawtooth Tele. Added a 4-way switch as well, like that tonal option.

They were only $40 for the set. This model seems to come and go on the Dragonfire site, and the last time I saw them, I think they were up $10.

IMG_20181228_104028358_HDR.jpg

JK202 likes this.
  11. JK202

JK202 TDPRI Member

Love my Squier '51!

Cheers,

JK

12. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe TDPRI Member

I have a set on a parts rig utilizing a bullet tele string through body in surf green and a xgp guitarfetish maple neck. I play this guitar more than my modern player plus. Love the pickups and also changed to cts pots and switch. I' m still " playing it in" and will do a refined setup in the future. The ones I used were overwound vintage I believe and they cover slot of tones and ring sweet on clean tones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.