Dragging lyrics. Stop it...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, May 18, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The thought never occurred to me to try, but now, I'll have to brace up and give it a go. I hope my delicate condition can take it!

Chick-N-Picker and william tele like this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm thinking most of us know what "singing with feeling" is compared to "too drunk or too bored or too egotistically artsie to pay attention to what it really sounds like...

3. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

They get to that one perfect line... in the song that haunts your dreams... the main reason you drove 30 miles to see the show... and then they stumble through it like it never really mattered at all...

So disheartening.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I love, absolutely love Tommy Emmanuel, but sometimes when he gets to "interpreting" a song, I just wanna say, hey Tommy, that ain't how it goes!

Chick-N-Picker and william tele like this.
  5. william tele

First, thanks for the live shout out! Bud my dear Chud...that is not dragging lyrics. Not even.

I'll find what really spawned my ire and post it. Nice song!...I'm going to listen to the album version after I post this!

Chud likes this.
  6. william tele

@Chud, just listened to the album version. What a great recording! A really tight band the vocals are beautiful!

But like I said, my idea of dragging lyrics is really obvious...and that live version didn't approach it to my ear.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks! So let's hear some examples of what you're thinking of, because every time I change one note in one of my songs they sound completely different to me. Probably no one else would ever notice, and that's probably why I've lost a few girlfriends while writing/recording/mixing albums - because they think I'm crazy for playing and/or listening to the same thing over and over and over again. Lol

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  8. william tele

This is only one example...and I know this is the way he does the song. But, it doesn't sound as uncomfortable to me when Paycheck sang it. This is bad live recording but just skip to 2:50 or so to get the crux of it...

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I go to a live show (of an established artist) to hear songs played AT LEAST AS WELL IF NOT BETTER THAN THE RECORDED VERSION....if it's not that, I have to assume they can't play it as recorded. And that's very likely. I've heard so many sloppy, inept renditions of songs that I'm sick of them. I haven't heard your inaccurate versions of your own songs, so I'm not saying this applies to you, but if the shoe fits, well........?;)
    A good example would be Steve Winwood.....he plays many of his old "Spencer Davis" hits radically different from the originals, but does them extraordinarily well. He gets a pass in my book....

elihu likes this.
  10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not talking about not being able to perform something that you've recorded. Milli Vanilli and boy bands don't even track here. I'm talking about interpretive license that a songwriter or band can and should take. Have you ever seen an Allman Brothers show? How about the Dead? Very little resemblance of any song to any album version, but they play the **** out of every 20 minute version live that was semi-normal length in the radio version. That's what I'm talking about.

Whether you think a radically different live version is better or worse is subjective to how wedded you are to the album version. I've gone to see bands that sound just like the album, and they just play the album. It's a good show, but WTF did I just spend $80-125 for to see the fricking album being performed?

I want live magic. I want stage chemistry. I want to see risks taken, mistakes made, and souls redeemed. That's my rock and roll. Pull no punches, and take no prisoners. You **** it up, you **** it up.

Boom. :cool:

Anode100 and william tele like this.
  11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I think I read/saw an interview with Willie where said he began doing it because it was easier to come in on pitch if the instruments had already hit their mark. Must have become a style that got out of hand after that.

12. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

This reminds me of the time I saw Van Halen and had to suffer the bizarre, rambling, rhythm-less David Lee Roth just to hear Eddie play.

13. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Willie just talks his way through a song anymore instead of singing. I dislike that as much as dragging.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.