Dr. Z owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by eggman, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

I'm a few weeks in with my new MAZ 8, little brother to my 2004 MAZ 38sr. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454658632.754568.jpg

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I changed the tank to a long 2-springs ( a la Fender). this solved all the reverb problems: noise & it sounds awesome now

3. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

Just wanted to show off my M12. I've been playing it for a few months now and absolutely love it! My first Z.

[​IMG]

4. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I just took de;ivery of Doc's new pedal steel amp, The Surgical Steel. EF86 preamp driving two KT88 for 94 watts. A tube buffered effects loop and ultra-linear transformers. Killer! I also have an early Prescription with Bluebells. I've known Doc for a long time. 25 years? One Saturday, he asked me to stop by the shop with my '57 Strat. He was working on the prototype Maz Jr.. I sat and noodled, playing Gatton licks and stuff whilst he subbed parts in and out. I contributed nothing but music and the occasional comment that "I liked that other cap better." I drove to Florida on Sunday, and called Doc to order one on Monday! Bluebell again. It's the perfect speaker for that amp, if you're a Country player anyway. So the Jr was tuned to me playing my '57 Strat. I didn't do squat, but I can't thank Doc fro the chance to be even slightly involved.
    I have been bugging him for 25 years to design a steel amp, and he's done it! Some famous player are already recording with prototypes.
    Surgical-Steel-and-Short-Cab.jpg

5. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

Great story! Awesome amp!

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Here's mine!
    Dr Z KT45.jpg

billybarool likes this.
  7. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

My new Z-Lux.

[​IMG]

8. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Love my Wreck! DB4 next!!
    [​IMG]

FenderLover likes this.
  9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm the happy owner of a 2001 MAZ 18 Jr Reverb 2x10, purchased locally a couple of weeks ago. It appears to be totally stock in near mint condition with a BrakeLite on board. It also has a cooling fan.

This amp is incredible.

The wife was out for a while last evening and I decided to see what the knobs would do. The amp is still in the bedroom, but the neighbors are “musical” and pretty well insulated.

I was playing a custom-built T-style thinline. (Google Pinup Guitars).

Twisting the knobs on the Brake Lite, Cut, Volume, Master and Reverb, I discovered an incredible range of tone -- extreme mellow to cut your head off. The neck pickup sounds better on the MAZ JR than on any of my Fender-voiced amps.

I’m wondering if I’m going to have to have a spreadsheet for my setlists with settings for all the knobs. Maybe we can arrange the sets so I don’t have to adjust the amp between songs, just between sets.
    I haven’t even tried plugging in my pedalboard. I haven’t done the same routine with my FMT HH Telecaster.

But I’m aMAZed. Incredible amp.

I wish it was as easy to buy great chops as it is to buy great gear. I'm liking the sound from my single coil guitars better than the humbuckers, but everything sounds good. I love the CUT control and I wish I really understood what it's doing.

I've been into the "Big Fender" sound since high school (long ago) and I have a '69 Super Reverb, blackfaced with the original CTS alnico speakers. My grab 'n go amp is an Allen Sweet Spot that I assembled; speaker is an Emi Li'l Texas neo and the handle weight is only 28 pounds. My MAZ with 2 x 10's totes at about 60 pounds. I use a folding dolly.

10. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Just added a new Z to the arsenal - Maz 38 NR head. It's red, with the tone stack cut. Incredibly versatile, not a bad tone in it, and no stinking EF86 in the pre. I loved the tones of my Z's that had them, but that tube is my nemesis.

I've gotten 3 gigs and 5 practices with it, and while it's pretty obvious I'll need to pick up an attenuator, this amp is much fuller and richer sounding than the M18 NR I had (which was great in its own right).

11. Taco John

Taco John TDPRI Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dr. Z Remedy running into a super reverb is to die for

12. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

New Dr Z owner here. I made a deal for a Maz 18 NR 2x10 combo. It's louder and cleaner than I expected but it sounds great with my pedals. I'm going to start looking for a brake lite though.

13. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Placed an order for a new Dr Z Maz 38NR from my local dealer recently. Should compliment my monza nicely.

14. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. What speaker format? 1x12? 2x10? 2x12? Head?

You won't regret it.

1490712415900.jpg

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  15. hovik

hovik TDPRI Member

Put a celestion gold in my Z-28 1x10. Glorious.

Attached Files:

jwp2 likes this.
  16. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

Hi everyone, new to the site. I've had this MAZ 18 Reverb for
    About a year & 1/2. LOVE IT. Bought it used 1 yr old for $1299.00 about $1000.00 less than new in mint condition. I run it in stereo with a VOX AC 10C1. I don't like the MV bypass too warm for me. And I agree with most of you about the reverb. Although I keep my STRYMON BLUE SKY on almost all of the time I keep the mix low. I like it springy sounding but not too wet. I also don't use the effect loop everything in front. Call me old school but amps didn't have loops when I was young. I have a HUGE board but rarely stack more than two or three things at once.

Attached Files:

17. Rideoften

Rideoften TDPRI Member

Love my MAZ 18 NR.

Attached Files:

18. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

Selling my Maz 18 Reverb 1x12.
    Excellent amp, just looking for something else.

Attached Files:

19. sultan59

sultan59 Tele-Holic

Picked this for my first bona fide steel guitar amp, and it was a great choice! I bought a new Eminence PF-350 to go with it, just waiting for my new Mojotone 1X12 cab to get built. I'm currently playing it thru a 1X15 closed back with JBL D130F and it sounds fantastic.

[​IMG]

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Recently got hold of a s/hand Maz18 Jr (with Reverb). I'm not sure what speaker it comes with or whether mine's been changed - but it has 1x12" Celestion speaker and it's fantastic. I had been thinking of strapping a Brake-Lite to it but, as I discovered yesterday, I can get the distortion I want at pretty low levels by using my Colorsound Mk IV Tonebender "Fuzz" (Jake Rothman).

I'm using it with a variety of Guitars - MIJ Tele, Lonestar Strat, Hamer XT and PRS Tremonti. All sound very different but I love 'em all...in a strictly learning amateur fashion!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.