1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dr Z or SF Fender?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Jul 12, 2014.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

My thing with the RI Princetons is they aren't hand wired. They should do some custom shop HW reissues like Vox did. Maybe make a HW Princeton with the bigger transformer and a 12" speaker. That would sell like hot cakes. And I love hot cakes. Lol.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

get a mustang III and just don't look back at her... she'll make all the sounds you want, be pretty small and you can have it all for, like, 329.00.

I'm gonna bring my tone king home in the fall and she'll be a 'home amp' and no more trailer duty... we are going all mustang III in the band (even the acoustic and fiddle AND keys)

3. rudyy_

rudyy_ TDPRI Member

Fortunately, there are good people like George Alessandro, who are willing to do just that with the brand new Princetons.
    You should try his PTP wired Princeton, and ask for it to be fitted in a 12" cab they also make.

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah. I've been looking at his site. I've seen a couple of PRRIs for sale that have his hand wired boards in them. On their site it says they just do the board/pots/caps/etc. I wish they'd put upgraded transformers in there, like TO-20s or something. Then you could upgrade the speaker and have an incredible amp.

5. rudyy_

rudyy_ TDPRI Member

That would truly be an amazing amp, but all the upgrades you've mentioned might bring the price up too much.
    I still like them for what they are; Alessandro amps sound significantly better than the PCB ones, and with a fairly reasonable price compared to the boutique stuff.

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah that's why I'm leaning towards a SF non verb princeton. They're hand wired with lots of headroom and can be had regularly around $700.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.