1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dr Z or SF Fender?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Jul 12, 2014.

1. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I gig with an all original 67 Princeton Reverb. 12 watts of joy.
    In the past 1-1/2 years of playing out with it, there has only been 2 rooms that were big enough that we miced it (Senheiser e609). They were gigs with an actual sound guy, and he miced everything just so he had control of, well, everything.

Get a PR. You will not be sorry. Put a pile of pedals in front of it, crank it up to about 6, and hold on. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

be different. go with a tone king imperial.

3. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I sold my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and Maz 18, but I won't sell my Fender amps or the Fender clones.

4. tryer

tryer TDPRI Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb reissue that Fender put out and I really love it. I would not hesitate to get another Fender. I use my Tele with the DR and it is just something else, it seems to pull playing out of me that I didn't know I was capable of. Having said that, I'm not a country guy all the time so ymmv.

5. rudyy_

rudyy_ TDPRI Member

+1
    My thoughts exactly. In that wattage range, I would choose Dr Z Carmen Ghia over any SF Fender.

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I would love to be that different but in the case of Tone King's I would also have to make a lot more money :)

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

It's a question of money really (isn't everything?lol). I can get a NR Princeton for $600-$700. Any giggable Dr Z combo or head/cab is gonna run me well over a grand. Is it worth it?

8. rudyy_

rudyy_ TDPRI Member

Agreed, there is a signifiant price difference.

If the SFP has the sound you want, and you can save a few hundred $ along the way- I say go for it.
    It's in no way inferior amp to the Z, only different.

9. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't know what kind of gigs you have lined up in Nashville, and it does seem like you have at least narrowed your focus onto a few Dr Z amps, but I still get the feeling that you want a Z for the name based on the fact that some of those amps don't have a common tone and you are pretty positive that the Princeton non-verb is what fits you best.

I had a Z-28 2x10 combo and loved it. The EF86 does something nice to the preamp in a lot of circuits. I borrowed a Remedy for a few weeks and it didn't knock my socks off, not because it wasn't a great amp, but because to my ears it was a modern version of my 1962 Fender brown Deluxe (it's hard to be wowed when you own some great amps because other great amps get compared to them so some of the wow factor is lost because there isn't much different brought to the table).

Amongst my collection I have a '67 drip-edge PR and a late '70s non-verb. With good electrolytics and "better" speakers these amps can hang with a lot of the groups I jam with though I don't get to play out much. Somebody had drilled a hole for a line out in my non-verb and I modded it by using it for a David Allen RAW control which is really nice.

I think that if you are going to play the smaller places and have a PA available if needed the Princeton non-verb is the way to go...partly because I love them and partly because I think your heart knows it but it doesn't seem as cool as a Dr Z.

I was lucky enough to sit in the front row of The Station (I think) for last year's Little Walter Endorsee Jam. Amongst other great players, there were Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Paul Franklin, and Randy Cohrs all using LW amps from 22-80 watts. Everything went through the PA for balance, but everything also sounded great at the front of the stage and I'm pretty sure my slightly modded non-verb would have done fine in that little place.

Don't buy the name regardless of how great the amp is unless it's really the tone you want.

Good luck.

10. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Z-28 2x10 and love it.

Having owned the SF Princeton I have to say that it's my favourite low watt Fender. I can see your dilemma.

I'd get the Princeton. You can always get a Z-28 later if you want more power.

11. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

This is exactly my plan. No venue I've been to seemed like it would be too much for the NR Princeton. So I'm gonna grab one of those as soon as I find a good deal. There's a black face non verb Princeton here locally for $900 but there's a hole in the grill cloth (I assume from a mic) and it's missing the back panel (top or bottom, maybe both. I'll have to look again. I'm not super concerned with the grill cloth hole, it'll give me the Mike Campbell vibe, lol. But I know I can find a SF one for around $700.
    If I start getting bigger gigs I'll pick up the Z then.

12. rcrecelius

rcrecelius Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had a non reverb Princeton for a while, it was weak, no way I could have gigged that amp...there's something about the reverb circuit that adds some gain...I would hold out for a Princeton WITH Reverb if I were you.
    I'm also a Z fan and have owned my fair share but when ya get some bigger gigs, also look at Allen amps...absolutely love my Accomplice!

13. johnnyelgato

johnnyelgato TDPRI Member

Z28 combo would cover ya well for gigs down on broad and 2nd ave. I usually just drag my deluxe downtown and it's plenty powerful if needed. Light and portable because important too when doing doubles or triple shifts all over. I find myself eyeballing a maz 18 for myself honestly! See you downtown bro!

14. OlRedNeckHippy

^This^

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

The SF Princetons with Reverb are like twice the price. From $650 for a NR versus a SF PR for around $1400.

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sounds like you need a PR and a DR, if you need to be super dialed-in for every situation.

For less dough, have you tried a Super Champ? 15 watts, nice modeling choices, tube-hybrid. I've got one with a Celestion A-10 gold, It's great for smaller rooms, sounds good miked.

17. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I'm trying to stick with hand wired stuff. Every amp I've ever loved has been HW and I think that's a big part of it. Plus easier to work on and all that stuff. I'm probably going to have to wait a bit as I've booked some writer's nights and HAVE to buy an acoustic electric. Uggggh! If a guitar gig pops up I can borrow an amp probably. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll get a huge publishing contract and then I can buy whatever amp I want ;)

18. OlRedNeckHippy

It there a reason the BF PR RIs are not part of this conversation?
    I have not played one, but I would think the difference between the RI and the original BF would be minimal.

This add is very typical of what I see the RI's going for:
    $800 http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4522698544.html

I have this fantasy of getting a BF PR RI, a ABY switch, and using my old my sterio chorus, and running two PRs. Ooooo....

19. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

There's a sweet BF PR on your local CL there in Nashville Gary.... Well worth the money.
    If size isn't an issue, have you considered a Super Reverb? I love the Princetons, but if your playing clean and don't mind the size, you'll never find a cleaner clean, from 1-10 on the dial. Then you're covered at any venue! I picked up a 74 SF SR for the same money I see a lot of Princetons going for......

20. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah it's wild. Everyone wants small amps nowadays. I've seen banged up but fully functional SF supers for like $500. I love them, a Princeton is just more convenient right now both at home or on stage.
    I'm not sure what BF PR you're talking about but if it's vintage it's probably out of my range. There's a vintage BF NR Princeton for $900 on CL as well but it's a little beat up. It'll be a bit before I NEED a stage amp and like I said, if gigs come up sooner I can borrow or backline.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.