1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dr Z or SF Fender?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Jul 12, 2014.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

What would you do? Z-28, M12, maz 8 on the Z side. SF Princeton Non Verb on the Fender side(this should be plenty loud for gigs). Maybe even a silverface deluxe reverb or something.
    What would YOU do? I'm having a hard time deciding.
    I play mostly country with single coil teles so I'm clean to almost clean most the time and use nice OD pedals for dirt. 99.9% of gigs in Nashville are mic'd but an unmic'd princeton is prob loud enough as most the rooms downtown are pretty small.

2. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I've never owned a Dr Z but I have heard people that have traded their Fenders in on them. They said they missed their Fenders. Not saying the Dr.Z is bad, I'd love to own one. I just get the feeling that they are two different animals.
    Now, as far as a Deluxe Reverb goes, I have also heard that they break up around 4.(volume). So if your wanting to play clean and unmic 'd. That might not be the best choice. Hopefully someone can chime in with some good advice about the Princeton.

I have been using a Twin Reverb reissue and have been satisfied with it.

3. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

The m12,while not a vox seems to lean tonally in the vox direction. Never played a z28. I own a maz 38 and a RxEs. These two amps seem to have their own voice IMO. Not really fender and not really vox. I guess the point I'm getting at is,you need to decide if you want a more fender flavor or a more vox flavor and go from there.

4. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

i own a SFTR and a Dr.Z maz jr 18 2x12" and a Z28 and my take on these is:

the most versatile amp is the Maz jr. you get almost every kind of sound from fender tones to early ac/dc crunch from it......
    if you want pure clean with lots of punch ...the Twin is the way to go for honky tonk and Dale watson sounds......
    the Z28 is more a blues amp, for it tends to break up earler then the Maz jr.
    the only reason i would get a PR or DR is a weight issue....but soundwise my favorites are by far the SFTR and the Maz Jr. As long as i can lug them around or as long as my bandmates don´t refuse to give me a hand....i stick with these.......

5. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

The Princeton is not very loud but stays clean. If you play with a band you will probably have to mic it up.

6. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I would personally go for a Deluxe Reverb or better yet a Vibrolux Reverb(these always sound excellent with a Tele). Others have suggested a Twin, and I would concur that they are an excellent amp. I have seen some of the early silverface ones going for under $1K on ebay. Around the Nashville area, you should be able to find them even cheaper. They are heavy though.

You seem very fixated on Dr Z amps, so maybe you should hold out for one.

7. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

In my experience, a pro jr has been plenty so I'd say get the princeton. You said most venues were mic'd anyway. I'd go for lightweight. Put a very efficient speaker in it (like a red fang) and a Princeton will make your ears bleed

8. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Dr-Z! They're built like tanks!

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

70% of the amps at the last festival I worked were Princeton Reverbs.

Deluxe Reverbs accounted for most of the rest.

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

People, especially downtown In Nashville where the rooms are relatively small, think you need I big pro or twin reverb. Every band I see like that, the guitar player is way too loud IMO. Especially within 15 ft if the stage. The guys I hear that always sound the best are playing Pricetons. Usually the PRRI, and even un-mic'd a lot of the times and it's plenty loud. Or some boutique amp but generally something between 15 and 22 watts(DRRI)I think I'm gonna get SF NR Princeton. Maybe put to TO20 in to be safe.

11. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I don't konw what style of music you are playing, but I do see you reside in Nashville. I can tell you that if you are going for that classice tele twang, you are better off with the Fender.
    I always thought it was kind of ironic that Brad Paisley would buy a Dr. Z and then completely rebuild it to get the twang and drive he needed. He could have bought a
    custom build from Fender at the same price.
    Buy the Fender.

12. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

A lot of the bands with a guitarist using a Dr Z, the guitar player seems to be too loud. I've heard this from a few of my friends that are pro drummers or bass players. They say stuff like that. Like "anytime we play with a guitarist using a Z, we always have to tell them to turn way down. If they're not too loud then they're too bright or something. And people don't like to be told that here." Lol. Zs are just so loud. I honestly think the 22w Z28 would be too loud for most rooms in town. I saw a guy gigging Maz 8 with a full band. Not a Maz 18, a Maz 8. And his volume wasn't even up to 10 o'clock.

13. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

One more thing about the Z28. I played a 1x12 combo for like an hour using pedals and everything. It definitely had more of a tweedish, deluxe type thing going on. The at higher volumes it got kinda Marshally. Not a bad thing at all, just saying. I like the Remedy the most sound-wise but it's wayyyyy too loud. The one I played was an earlier non-master too so it was crazy loud. Even on the "lower" watt setting. Maybe I'll check out some more lower watt Zs like the Maz8. The M-12 I didn't like as much. Maybe I could get into the Maz18. I only played that one for like 10 mins. I'm just super partial to 6v6 amps. I realized that's why I liked both the z28 and the Remedy. Both 6v6 amps. But the 28 has that EF86 front end which I'm super unfamiliar with. I'll have to take another trip to Rock Block (maybe the coolest store with the nicest staff I've been to, and I've been everywhere) to check out all the Zs again.

14. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I used to play a blackface Princeton non-reverb. It will stay clean most of the way up with single coils. As others have said you might need to mic it up. They are great sounding amps. They don't sound like a Z.

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I don't think I'll need to mic a NR Princeton for 90% of the gigs in town. The rooms are small enough.
    For reference, I play country with a Nash T-63. It's got 2 single cool Lollars in it. I use pedals for drive too. I think the NR Princeton is perfect as I've been getting use to playing without verb lately. My Wampler delay sounds so good I forget I don't have reverb. Maybe later if I start getting bigger gigs I'll get a Z.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Princeton NR are great amps, but as mentioned they just don't have quite the cut/presence of a PR. But close enough for what your doing I think most the time.

To bad you don't still have the champ, they would make a good, small, dual amp/wet/dry setup, just need a vol pedal to use with champ to bring it forward for more grit/OD or wet sounds when needed. A delay run into a small amp like my Ric m-8 sounds awesome at just below edge of breakup. It so analog'y and present without being overbearing mixed with a more full range clean like Princeton and it's 10" will yield. 8" Tone Tubby alnico now in little Ric instead of Jensen in pic, that speaker was shot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

let's see. Maserati or vw. tough choice. z is like a tank. so.

18. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Get a Fender Vibro Champ and mic it!

19. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I'm a big SF (early ones, that is) fan and I would go for a Dr Z.

If something like a Dr Z had existed in the late '60s early '70s I would have owned one.

20. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

A Princeton non-reverb is my go-to bar/small room gigging amp. Has plenty of volume for bar gigs. Stays clean pretty much all the way up the dial. Sounds great with pedals.

I replaced the stock Oxford (or whatever it was) with a Ragin' Cajun, a very efficient speaker, and that gave it more volume and presence. I also hit the front end, most of the time, with a Tech 21 Boost RVB, for a little bit 'verb and a very slight amount of boost to liven things up.

For bar gigs, I've found that a DR is a little too much, that by the time you turn it up to where it gives up the goods, it's way too loud.

Can't address Dr. Z amps. Have very limited experience with them and have never gigged one. Generally, as others have said, they sound very good, but if you're looking for Fender cleans...well, you know the rest...

Edited to add: And you can still find non-reverb SF Princetons for pretty decent prices. (As far as I know...) I got mine a couple of years ago, trading a Les Paul Studio for it and some cash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.