Dr. Z.....*drool*

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by snake_charmer, Jun 8, 2014.

1. snake_charmer

snake_charmer TDPRI Member

While searching through this section of the forum I kept hearing about this Dr. Z amp. I decided to check some different model demo's out on youtube. OMG!!! Amazing!!! I'm really loving on the Maz 18 w/reverb. The price is a little steep but I'm not ruling out a used one. :D

2. TexasTim

TexasTim TDPRI Member

Can't say much more than I agree. I would love to own one.

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to Z-FEVAH!
    I've got a Dr. Z Z-Best 2x12 cabinet...It NEEDS a Maz Jr. NR on top of it.

4. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I used to own a Maz18 (with reverb).
    Amazing amp, ultimately too loud for home use.

But in a band context will really cut through the mix! Built like tanks, fantastic customer service, even on used ones.

Can't say anything bad about these.

5. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

I went through a lot of amps ... settled on the Maz18R. With the brake lite installed it's great for home and with a group. I really cuts through the mix and sounds great with pedals. I find myself playing without any pedals except delay and a boost for solos.

Check out the Z forum for some deals on used Maz18's

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I recently sold several big and "just ok" amps in favor of buying a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. It has a volume knob and a tone cut knob and it's 18 watts into a Celestion Green Back.

It's nice. I can hear every note in a clean chord chiming. I don't know if you play acoustic a lot (I do) but it was like going from a big dreadnought where the tones blend into a warm mix to a OOO fingerstyle guitar where you suddenly hear each note in a chord with clarity. When I turn it up the gain is beautiful.

The voicing in the Z amps is very nice.

A Mini Z that was minty came up on Craigslist after I bought the Carmen Ghia and I got that one also. I was happy that I made a "past middle aged" leap of faith and started selling all the big nutty stuff that I had in favor of two nice amps.

The Dr. Z stuff isn't cheap but it's not horribly expensive either. A new Deluxe Reverb is $1000. New Carmen Ghias are $1350 (they list at $1450 but dealers knock off $100).

I'm just saying that a Dr. Z is not insanely expensive. They're worth it.

7. snake_charmer

What exactly does the brake light do?

8. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

I do love my maz 38sr 212 with reverb and my RxEs!

9. studio1087

It's a mild Attenuator with 5 settings. It won't bring the volume down to a whisper but it will reduce the volume by 15db which lets you turn up a bit higher without ringing your ears. A small white metal box is secured in the speaker cab and it goes between the powered output and the speaker. The Mini Z has one built into the front panel.

Mini Z with Attenuator..........

10. snake_charmer

What a great mod! This is exactly my complaint over the blackstar ht-60 sitting in the living room. Sure it's great for gigs/rehearsals but in home settings the user has the volume set at about a 2.

11. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking at the Maz 8 and Carmen Ghia. Hm....

12. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

After trying many amps I settled on the Maz18. What I really like is the wide range of styles that still sound great. It's a swiss army knife of an amp. All my guitars, all my pedals sound great. Very minimal knob turning to dial in the tele, P90's, and buckers for clean to mean tones. the brake lite really lets you get some dirty stuff going at lower volumes.

13. studio1087

The Maz 18 is the most popular model followed by the Carmen Ghia (I think).

The Maz's have master volumes. A Carmen Ghia is like a Pro Jr in that it has two knobs (volume and tone cut).

I have band practice tonight. I usually take my Blues Junior to practice because I have a cover for it and it gets me by and I bought it (cheap) on craigslist. It's my grab n go amp. Last rehearsal the BJ was really noisy and I think it needs new power tubes. I packed the Mini Z in the car last night. I know that it will be loud enough but I don't know if I'll be able to stay clean-ish. The other guitar player practices with a Marshall tube 1 x 12 combo and the bass player has a compact Ampeg rig. The drummer is a moderate volume drummer.

It sure was easy sliding the Mini Z into my small SUV. I might get buried by the other guys tonight. We'll see. The Mini Z is the only amp that I have ever had where my wife came all the way down to the basement to ask what the &%#@^ I was doing (she said it was the loudest that I've ever played at home). It does sound really good cranked but it's 5 watts for crying out loud.

Tonight will be interesting.

14. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Remember all of you who may wish to knock Cleveland, that's where they are made. (Maple Heights). Cleveland Rocks!

15. studio1087

I love Cleveland. Why would anyone knock Cleveland? I'm the short ugly guy in grey. We have a business branch in Cleveland and I enjoy visiting the city. Me & my favorite co-worker.......

[​IMG]

16. snake_charmer

Based on all my research of Dr. Z amps this one meets my needs the best. Like you said it covered a multitude of tones, has reverb, a brake light, and works great with pedals. Now I just need to pay off my CS and move into debt on a Dr. Z. Lol it's worth it

17. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I like the Z amps a lot. For most gigs My #1 amp is a Z Wreck
    (if I remember right it's SN #12)
    and I also have a Ghia head that I pair with a 2 x 12 cab which works well for pub gigs.

18. studio1087

By the way, the 5 watt Mini Z worked well at band practice. I was able to stay clean-ish with the band.

They are robust amps with good speakers.

My first Dr Z was a 45 watt Prescription head (the original Brad Paisley head) and I was amazed at the great deal that I got on eBay. Then I turned it up to two and it almost made my face rip off. I sold it after 6 weeks.....I decided that I couldn't really make it work for me. I was using an open back Avatar cab with an Eminence Red White & Blues 12". LOUD!

I think that unless you need remarkable clean volume that the 18 watt Z's are plenty loud.

"Plenty Loud" is a scientific measurement patented by Gene Simmons. He owns the saying. (Sorry).

19. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

I own vintage fender amps only but if I were to buy something newer it would be a DR Z. I hear nothing but good things about them.

Congrats on your new Z.

20. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

I've had my Carmen Ghia (w/ matching 1x12 cab) for 5 years now and it's fantastic! For any of you wanting to gig with it, remember: It sure sounds louder than any 18 watts. Paired with a matching Dr.Z 2x10 or 2x12 cab (ideally with AlNiCo speakers) it'll keep up with any heavy-handed drummer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.