1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DR strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by justjazz, Jul 29, 2017.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My eyesight isn't all that great either, I've had that same issue

2. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

I did like the Tone of the string's but just to many bad Strings in to many sets.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a dozen sets when they were on sale a couple of years ago. Within 3-4 months those still in their packages had started to rust.
    I won't be buying any more.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have only tried DR strings ( occasionally) on my Martin acoustc, just out of curiosity/change up from the GHS or D'ADDARIO Phosphor bronze lights I normally use.
    I recently tried the DR Veritas ( also a PB light) and though the tone and feel was fine, they seemed very quiet, by comparison, which for someone who plays a fair amount of Bluegrass ( not pure, but in that style) was just not a good fit for me. I took them off after a few hours...

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

If you want to use pure nickel on a round core, try John Pearse strings.

I have switched back to bass, but I used this set.

john-pearse-nickel-wound-jazz-acoustic-electric-guitar-strings-9.jpg

Put a bend on the wound strings before you cut them and don't stretch them. Just install them and tune them to 440 and let them settle overnight. Retune them and enjoy.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Every time there is a thread about DR strings there are lots of people that love them and have used them for years without issue and there are always a few people that had a problem with them in the past. Some of the problems usually listed are breakage, intonation and corrosion. I have tried other brands of strings and some of the brands posters switched to I tried and I had problems with them. I did not like GHS, they just didn't sound as good, Another brand Dean Markley broke on installation and the manufacturer and the shop where I bought them both refused to do anything. There are many others I tried and did not like and I went back to DR. I play one or two gigs on most weekends and own more guitars than I probably should.

Some years ago DR changed their packaging to help prevent corrosion and reduce packaging material. The paper sleeves have 2 strings in each sleeve and there is no way to not be able to tell the difference which is which. Because of this I change 2 strings at a time and it seems quicker than one at a time to me. I use locking self trim tuners and split post tuners and never had an issue with the tuners, I use Wilkinson and Callaham bridges with the facet cut brass saddles on my main gigging Teles. I have used them on a couple of guitars with Bigsbys, and on Gibson, Kay, National, Fender, Supro and many other brands and I never had any intonation issues after the initial setup of the guitar.

7. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

My go to electric strings D'Addario 10-46 for years. I put a set of DR Pure Blues 10-46 on my Baja Tele a few days ago and like them quite a bit. They seem a little less stiff and maybe a tad warmer sounding. No negative issues so far.

I use DR Rare 13-56 on my Martin D-18. They play a little easier than D'Addario and Martin PB stings to me. For jamming situations, I often switch to D'Addario EJ-17 or MSP4200 Though, as I feel like I get a little more volume.

Wyzsard likes this.
  8. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Can't recall what I thought of their sound, but a few months ago I tried a set and in a week or so the G string had come unwound (I could move the loose winding up and down the string)! I've never had that happen before.

9. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

I've used the DR Pure Blues several times and I like them, but they're not that much better than my trusty old EB Regulars, so I usually opt to save some money and stay with EB.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.