1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DR strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by justjazz, Jul 29, 2017.

1. justjazz

justjazz TDPRI Member

Anybody use them? I tried a cool blue 46-10 on my tele and they sound, well, cool. It is very weird to see blue strings, but I really like them for the jazzy stuff I play. Thoughts?

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Long time user of DR Pure Blues 11's and 10's... I buy them by the dozen. (they are cheaper by the dozen)

elmoscafeo and Cheap Trills like this.
  3. Texasjtl3

Texasjtl3 Tele-Meister

I've used DR Tights Fits on all my electrics. Regular 10's all around with heavy bottom sets on the Les Paul.

4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I was using Pure Blues on my Gibsons but changed to EB. The DRs are good strings but I dislike strings that aren't individually packed anymore. I just want to go from E to E and not putz around making sure I have the right string in the right slot

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    sad99 and Cheap Trills like this.
  5. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

DR Pure Blues are my go-to string. I've like to try others from time to time, but I always go back to them.

elmoscafeo likes this.
  6. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Gold Supporter

Pure Blues are my go-to as well

elmoscafeo likes this.
  7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I used to use them all the time. Got me away from my lifelong standard, GHS Boomers. But then I had a lot of bad strings from them. It was weird. They just wouldn't tune right. At first I doubted it, but then it happened several times. Went back the GHS Boomers about 5 years ago.

JayFreddy and Ricky D. like this.
  8. irie

irie Tele-Holic

I'm DR Pure Blues fan as well, some of the best strings I have used.

telenator, I have heard of people having tuning issues with them specifically on the wound strings. Were you crimping those strings like the instructions note? I never did for years and then I had a wound A string refuse to hold pitch. Been doing the crimp between the tuner/nut ever since and it has remained a one time thing.

jackinjax likes this.
  9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Were you using Pure Blues with the round cores?

Are you sure your problems weren't related to slippage? With the round cores, you have to make sure they have a good bend in them, and enough wraps on the post before cutting, otherwise the cores can slip, and do what you described.

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I use DR strings on my acoustic, and for a while I used DR Pure Blues on my electrics. I loved the sound. However, I think I started to have some issues with rattle that my guitar tech said he'd experienced with those strings, too. I may go back to them at some point. I have a few packs of Pure Blues on hand in 11s, but I now use 10s. I love their acoustic strings. And their strings last just about forever.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Same thing here. I was having trouble finding my customary Fender 150's a few years ago, so I switched to DR pure blues. Liked the strings just fine, except their QC stinks. I'm back to Fender, and I won't waste another penny on DR.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. Telenator

Personally, I find that more than two wraps around the post cause tuning instability. I've been gigging for 40 years with several guitars that tune perfectly and stay in tune all night. Sometimes, I'll take them out of the case at a gig two weeks later and they're still in tune from the last gig.

It was the strings. They actually would not intonate properly and therefore wouldn't tune on the guitar. I know this is hard to believe and I gave the strings several chances because I really liked the way they felt and played. Soon as I went back to Boomers, the problem stopped. Never figured it out, and I gave up trying. Some things just aren't worth spending the time on when you have something that works. I've sure they've resolved the issue by now, but I've moved on.

Controller, Jakedog and JayFreddy like this.
  13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Glad I read this thread. Never tried the DR Pure Blues but from what I'm reading, I think I'll stick with my D'Addario EXLs. They always sound great, stay in tune, don't rattle, are inexpensive and last as long as any I've tried. I guess I don't like change.

watercaster, Ricky D. and JayFreddy like this.
  14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm another "Used to use DR strings until..." customer.

I used them for several years with no problems, and then about 4 or 5 years ago, I got a couple boxes (12 sets each) of bad strings... Frequent breakage, poor intonation, etc.

I spoke to the two sales reps at the Dallas Guitar Show about it at the time, and they were less than accommodating... So I switched to GHS.

A couple years ago, my local GC had a $1/set blowout on DR colored electric guitar strings... I got a bunch of those to give my students, but I wouldn't put them on a nice guitar. Over time, the colored coating flakes off and gets on the pickups and frets.

It sounds like they have corrected the problem they were having with breakage and intonation, but I don't trust them anymore.

Ricky D. and Jakedog like this.
  15. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Pure Blues on my Tele and Semi-Hollows. GHS Boomers on my solid bodies.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The DR strings are possibly the best sounding electric strings I've ever used. Also the most inconsistent. At least they were when last I tried them, which was about 15 years ago. I just never knew what I was getting from one set to the next.

Got uneven windings, dead strings, mismatched sets. Not every time, but enough to piss me off. They also died quicker than anything else I tried.

But a good set, for the first set? Nothing like 'em. Really great strings for about that long if you get a decent set.

Telenator likes this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

DR Blues here for about a year, but like many, I always had to re-intonate the guitar after every change. This happened on several instruments, so I thought it must just be me. I spoke to my tech and said the same thing, even told the sales rep. his experiences to no avail. He will not carry them any more and I don't buy them either.

If you can get them to intonate properly, they are a very good sounding string, but not worth the hassle to me.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

That's why I stopped using D'Addarios. They're all wound together in the pack. And I'm a little color blind so I don't like the color coding. Just put each string in its own sleeve.

stratoman1 likes this.
  19. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

For me, poor customer service = no more business.

JayFreddy likes this.
  20. Telenator

I'm with you on the D'Addarios. Hate their packaging. Good strings, and I'll buy them when they're on sale, but I've been playing GHS Boomers since 1980 or so, and they've been great every single set. And their packaging is still one string per envelop.

I'm with the rest of you here that DR's really do sound great when they're right, but too many defective sets made me stop using them altogether. I have 24 guitars, so I go through A LOT of guitar strings. If there is something wrong with my strings, I know it.

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.