Dr. Strange...should I go see it?

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Should I go see the new Dr. Strange movie? I didn't see the first Dr. Strange movie and most of the other Marvel movies, but I read Marvel Comics and I love Dr. Strange and I love 3D movies.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
A devout Marvel fan buddy of mine loved it!

I finally got caught up with most of the Avengers franchise this past year buying most of them for $5 at Walmart.

While I've not seen it I'm sure there's enough connections that you'd miss a LOT starting here.

You'd at least want to see the first Dr. Strange and the Infinity War/End Game at a minimum. These on their own will still have a LOT of gaps in the story line.

I think the three Capt America seem to have a lot of background. Guardians Of The Galaxy too!

Plus you'd want to see the Ironmans....and Thors....and....... :D

There's a lot of goofy filler in most of them. The humor in Guardians of the Galaxy is great but the wise cracks from Ironman and Capt America get old.

As good as the franchise is I wonder how much better, or worse, it would have been to take a darker approach ala the Batman Trilogy. Despite some dark characters and situations it always seemed cartoony.....

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
you should probably get caught up on the Strange storyline in the new Disney/Marvel world first. At the very least this ties in to Wanda/Vision and the Dr. Strange “What If?” animated episode. Possible the Spider-Man multiverse stuff too.

This has spoilers but breaks it down pretty well I think:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Well worth watching if you watched Wandavision, and if you're prepared for a new level of darkness from the MCU. Directed by Sam Raimi and has his comedy / horror fingerprints all over it.
I felt it could have picked up the pace a bit towards the middle, and I don't think Benedict Cumberbatch really sets Dr Strange alight (by contrast Benedict Wong really is Wong), but I enjoyed it very much.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
I religiously watched every Marvel movie, because I loved the comics as a kid and little me would've loved to see these films. But now it takes me longer to get round to watching each one, the excitement of seeing them play out on a big screen has faded, and it's an obligation, like going to see a relative that you don't really like too much. I used to love the Jack Kirby Eternals comics, and that movie was a huge disappointment.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I religiously watched every Marvel movie, because I loved the comics as a kid and little me would've loved to see these films. But now it takes me longer to get round to watching each one, the excitement of seeing them play out on a big screen has faded, and it's an obligation, like going to see a relative that you don't really like too much. I used to love the Jack Kirby Eternals comics, and that movie was a huge disappointment.
My wife is a huge Marvel fan but she hated Eternals and has been telling everyone not to waste their time with it. (I haven't even seen that one.)

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I'd suggest seeing the second of these two movies based on these reviews.

My son and his friends saw Dr Strange last weekend and they were unimpressed. It's not quite bad enough to be a campy B-movie hit ... and the 'horror director' input seemed to be focused on gross mutilation deaths that made them wonder how it got a PG-13 rating (they are all adults but they wondered, they guessed there was not too much swearing...).

BCblues55

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I went to the theater to see Doctor Strange 2, and I’m glad I did. The special effects were outstanding on the big screen.

as others have posted, it’s a good idea to watch the first Doctor Strange movie first for the back story. Not essential, but a good idea.

and, as jvin248 pointed out, Everything Everywhere All At Once is an incredible movie. I preferred it to the Doctor Strange movie. Unlike Dr. Strange, it will probably play well on TVs at home.

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
I enjoyed Dr. Strange despite being a bit 'Marvel'd out' so to speak. I don't think you need to see the first Dr. Strange, but watching the Disney+ mini series Wandavision is a prerequisite to understanding the story line.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Be aware that it is a hard PG-13. It's pretty scary and it times graphically violent. It's much more intense than any of the previous Marvel films. I think they broke the brand a bit with it.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
I liked it a lot .. It's a comic book in movie form... You can't expect deep thoughts or plot.... It's an action movie and it fills the role....yeah it's fun, as it's suppose to be

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Should I go see the new Dr. Strange movie? I didn't see the first Dr. Strange movie and most of the other Marvel movies, but I read Marvel Comics and I love Dr. Strange and I love 3D movies.
My stepson, who is 17, didn't have many nice things to say it about it.