DR Pure Blues

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Someone gave me a couple of packs of these. I've heard mixed reviews about their QC. Is this still the case? Worth trying or should I just get some Mangans or Pyramids?

clayville

Tele-Meister
fwiw, DR Pure Blues have been my preferred string for most of the last decade. Never had a problem, always liked the sense of added warmth and slinky feel.

But this year I've been using Stringjoy Broadways (also pure nickel). I like the sound fine and like the seemingly enhanced longevity compared to DRs (which offsets the price difference). On the other hand the Broadways seem a little stiffer. The good news from that is that they tune to pitch and stay there within minutes. The less good news is that .010s feel almost like .011s playing lead. I've got a set of their .0095s to try at next string change to see if that matters...

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve been using the dr pure blues for maybe 15 yrs, last year I heard someone here talking about pyramid strings. So I gave them a shot . By far the best electric guitar string I’ve ever used. .I love em. I was looking to order some acoustic strings from them as well ,
But could t find them on the site I was ordering from. Anyway, both great string I think , but pyramids are the best I’ve used , for me at least . And I have impeccable taste…

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
If you are concerned about quality- premature failure, perhaps?- you might like to put a set on your porch picker/fireside special, first?
They were free, right? Sounds good, to me......

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
If you are concerned about quality- premature failure, perhaps?- you might like to put a set on your porch picker/fireside special, first?
They were free, right? Sounds good, to me......
Yeah, I'll probably put a set on my #2 and test the waters.

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’ve used DR strings on and off for years and have never had issues them. In fact, I only recall having 2 QC issues with strings over the past 38 years of playing. One was a set of Ernie Ball Colbalts that were visibly dead and corroded locking right out of the pack. The other was a set of D’Addario Chromes that one of the strings unwound as it was being installed. D’Adarrio said they would send me a replacement string but ended sending me an entire set for free.

I say it’s worth trying especially if they were free!

bluzkat

Tele-Holic
I tried DR Pure Blues in the past, didn’t care for them.

I use Pyramid Nickel Classics… love ‘em!

I can’t believe the difference.

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
Love them. My only drawback is that if you are a hard bender, the D string won't last long. Tends to be the case with all pure nickel sets of any brand with me. But man they do sound great.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Love them. My only drawback is that if you are a hard bender, the D string won't last long. Tends to be the case with all pure nickel sets of any brand with me. But man they do sound great.
I bend a lot but rarely break strings. I always used Slinkys but gave the NYXLs a try, and though I like their sound and feel, it seems they went dull fairly quickly. I've always wanted to try pure nickels and remembered a local shop had given me a few different packs of strings. Gonna give em a whirl.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
I switched to them about ten years ago. I got three sets with a defective string over a three month period. I’ll never buy another set of DR.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve been playing another brand consistently for a couple years. My son gave me a set of Pure Blues and I put them on and they felt good, sounded good. I love DR strings on my bass so I’m not afraid to try them.

But after about 3 weeks I noticed what looked like a dent that lined up with several frets on the D string. When I looked close the winding was actually broken in several places so the coiled sections were just hanging on the core like springs. I’ve never had that happen before.

But they played great up to that point and the tone was nice and balanced and not too bright.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Tried them for about a year, they sound great, but I had to re-intonate after every single string change. I spoke to my guitar tech about it and he told me he had the same experience and told the company several times about it. Now, that was about 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but I never went back.

Intonating isn't that big of a deal, but it is annoying. If you don't mind that step, give them a try.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
They are the slinkiest (a good thing to me) round-core, roundwound that I have ever used (compared to Pyramid, Stringjoy). Though they may not have the longevity of a comparable Pyramid, Thomastik or Stringjoy. And, of course, they have a sweet and rich pure nickel/vintage tone.

One mistake people make is cutting them (they will unravel) before they are wrapped around the capstan and stretched.

1656808615747.png

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Consistently either A or D way off on intonation.
(and I cut/crimped the strings correctly).