1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dr J, by Joyo--woah

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Luthier Vandros, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Afflicted

Now that I'm not performing as frequently as I used to, I decided to focus on a modest home/practice rig--something that doesn't require me to drive to storage with the band van. This is purposed to be a small, grab-and-go rig for neighborhood and garage jams.

On a whim, I picked up a Dr J Shadow Echo. The Dr J brand is Joyo's hand-wired line, so it's a little step up. This was intended to be another delay in a line of admittedly more expensive delays that have inhabited my live board. At a price of sub $70, I wouldn't be at much of a loss if something happened to it. I wasn't expecting much at all.

For reference, here are the others that were dual lock worthy.

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Hand-Wired
    DD20 (remains on my pro board)
    DD500
    Diamond MLJr
    Source Audio Nemesis

Outside of this list, many others came and went, along with many dollars. I don't hate the game.

Alright - this little gem is a keeper. I'm not impressed due to the price point's imposed expectation; I'm genuinely impressed by how musical this little box is. My biggest gripe with most of my former delays' modulation circuits was an obvious lack of control over the two key parameters. This little purple guy lets me tweak both depth and rate. On top of this, the repeats are gorgeous and the true bypass switching is clean and artifact free.

I'm now feeling rather protective of it--something I didn't want or expect to feel. It's also opened my eyes to the usefulness of "low-endy" fx for musical inspiration. If you can find a used one, give it a whirl. You'll prob spend under $60 for it and it may impress you.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Chunkocaster and 24 track like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sounds cool you should post some pics if you can , a good find is always apreciated!

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I picked up a Dr J box for my bass amp sim, it has done all I wanted it to do.

24 track and Luthier Vandros like this.
  4. Luthier Vandros

I had a look inside. The pcb is nicely done, as well. Will try to find time for some pics soon. In the meantime:

5. Luthier Vandros

Here's the beta version of my mini rig. Will go on a Metro 24 board. Hoping the One Spot will prove noiseless daisy chaining these. The Deja Vibe will have to use its own ps.

[​IMG]

24 track likes this.
  6. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

I picked up the Sparrow bass DI recently when I was looking for a volume boost at the end of my board. Does a suitable volume boost with an EQ stack to focus *how* I want it to boost, AND I now have a bass DI should I need to pick up a gig.

Not sure if it's Tech 21 derived or not, but it does the job real nice.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

I am curious so I bought a Shadow Echo unit yesterday.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  8. Luthier Vandros

Definitely post up your thoughts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.