1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Doyle Dykes.......WOW

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by vtcyclist, Nov 12, 2008.

1. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

My boy and I had the pleasure of listening to Doyle Dykes and his daughter Haley play tonight. It was a performance sponsored by Taylor Guitars at our local Mom/Pop guitar store.

I can't say I was familiar with him before tonight. But I will never forget his playing and stories. His played a T-5 for a while with a twang that would make a Tele jealous. He played his signature guitar and several stock guitars off the wall in over 2 hours of solid playing. His daughter sang "When you say nothing at all" in a way that would send Allison Krauss back to school. Doyle has Chets thumb and classical guitarist precision.

Obviously I embelish a bit in my descriptions....but not very much. Inspiring, humbling, amazing.

2. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

I've had the pleasure of hearing Doyle a few times, at my local music store like you, at the James Burton Guitar Festival and a couple of times at my church. The guy is a monster guitar player and such a neat, genuine guy. I don't think I could ever tire of listening to him . My only problem is that everytime I hear him, I feel a need to go home and put all my gear up for sale.

3. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I saw him in a store also, a few years ago. I wasn't familiar with him at all except for seeing him in GHS ads but I thought it would be interesting to check out. My wife and I sat maybe 6' away from him. Wow! The playing was incredible to say the least, especially that close. Interesting stories too. He also picked Taylors from the wall to play and pointed out the different attributes of each model. Although I was primarily an electric guitarist at the time I left with a renewed appreciation of acoustics and fingerstyle.

4. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. His appearance at our local shop has grown so big that they have moved it to a big church in town to accomodate a Taylor "clinic." I'm sure he played Yellow by Coldplay, the best thing about Coldplay is that he covers their song...lol. The man is phenomenal, I took my son and one of his shredder buddies and they had to pick their jaws off the ground when we left. Haley is great too, she does have a great voice.

5. sdcb27

sdcb27 Tele-Meister

Chet Atkins said Doyle was the the player he would pay to see.. says it all.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

My son and I saw Doyle at a Taylor clinic in Milwaukee about three weeks ago.

He was fantastic.

I made a movie of him playing Batman with my cheap digital camera.....this this three weeks old.....

John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.