Downsizing your gear (*gasp!*)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Minivan Megafun, May 11, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I'd add a third category, Tinkerers. One reason I've ended up with so many guitars is that I like to buy (usually used and cheap) guitars and parts to tinker with.

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm still in the process of upsizing.

nicknklv and rangercaster like this.
  3. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

I'm actually OK with music equipment. The area I really need to keep in check is knives. I have enough knives to last me at least 50 lifetimes...

4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

The most guitars I ever had at one time was four electrics, an acoustic, and a bass. More often it’s just been one electric and one bass, which is what I have now. Maybe I’ll get an acoustic at some point, but I almost never play them when I have them.

I like to keep it simple. I’ve never had a desire to have a big collection.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I agree with you overall, but some irregular folks like Billy Gibbons, Keith Richards and Joe Banananana prove a person can be both a player and a collector...

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I had three. Sold them all. Now I have one.

7. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

She said", your granddaughters " Barbies go here, the Barbie accessories go here, your grandsons balls, bats,
    gloves, hockey nets go here. We have to make room. some OF THIS "MUSIC STUFF" HAS TO GO. It went...
    ha, ha...Then the fight was over.

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

all my gear is the perfect size...no need to downsize

9. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I play bass as well as guitar. When I was playing mostly bass I wound up with over 20 basses. I went on a purge and now I own 3. I don't miss the ones I sold, well maybe one. Now I've got too many guitars. When this current situation is over I'm going to downsize again. I've already got a handful picked out to sell. I'll still have a ton, but I have some I don't play and never will. No reason to keep them around. I actually just swapped 5 for two at the local music store, so I'm down three already!

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm going through that as well. Sold off the old amps I had-BF Tremolux, Ampeg Jet and Reverberocket-and now on to guitars. I gave my son a 6120 (another thread) sold a Starfire IV and Jazzmaster. 3 more to go. Than I need to sort through all the other stuff I've accumulated over the years. It's a pretty good feeling. I still have plenty.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  11. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Gigs have all but dried up for me. (Thanks Covid-19!) Downsizing is starting to become a necessary evil.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Parlors.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

A lot of us have too many guitars, me included. Good for the guitar makers. Not much point for the rest of us. If I got rid of all mine but the dread I'd still be having fun.

The dread stays.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"does this bring me joy?"

YES. I did at least quit waiting for the small Carvin catalog.

15. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I'm struggling with your arithmetic...

Kloun, bart303 and teletimetx like this.
  16. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Im still upsaling, too! :D
    4 electrics and 1 acoustic so far, and I plan to try to keep it under 10. I try to keep it under control by setting specific goals for my practice, and I'm not allowed to get another until I reach that level. So far it's been kind of working for me.

I think one of the difficult things in this regard is that guitars just look so darn nice. I've been looking at hollowbodies lately, and they're just works of art to me.

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I would like to sell some stuff but I'll keep it before I give it away. Not trying to make a big profit, just fair value.

18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Regarding the topic...

I am no longer gigging very much. Very rarely at all in fact.

While I was busy gigging about 15 years ago, for instance, we were also raising a kid and building a house. I never owned a guitar unless it made us money so I tended to have a main guitar and a spare at any one time. That's all I could justify.

Now I'm essentially retired and the kid is grown up, and I find myself with about a dozen guitars. I've downsized my amplifiers...a couple of speaking volume practice amps and one smallish amp that I can use for jam sessions and gigs.

But the guitars are because I like having them. I play each one regularly and I like looking at them on the wall(s). I tinker a lot too. None of them are particularly valuable so it's not like they were a big financial burden. And if push came to shove it wouldn't break my heart to let most of them go. Pretty well any one of them would be ok as an only guitar.

I feel very fortunate.

Sneaks and Minivan Megafun like this.
  19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t drink too much I don’t smoke I don’t gamble I’m not violent I work hard my family are catered for my kids are balanced and well educated... music and guitars especially are my only real vice. Yes I have too much kit but I love it.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

At one time I had 18 guitars. It was a burden in someways and many were rarely played. I’m now down to eight plus a bass.

I like all the guitars I have now but I often think I should reduce my collection further. I just can’t decide which ones to part with. It kind of reminds me of the old Lovin Spoonful tune “ Did you ever have to make up your mind and pick up on one and leave the other behind“.
    On the other hand, there is a “unicornl guitar out there with my name on it. The one guitar to rule them all but I can’t seem to find it.
    The bottom line is that my rational mind wants to have 3 to 5 guitars but my emotional attachment to those I have won't let that happen.....(at this time)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.