Downsizing, tried it, not for me

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Aug 5, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

N+1 forever!!!

2. DrPepper

Actually, I've tried twice... (I'm hard headed) But, my next purchase (after today's) will be after my BD next May)

3. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Holic

It is a pathology I share as well.

DrPepper likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Babylon of music gear acquisition, I think is designed to seduce me via G.A.S ATTACK
    with all the other folks around. I suspect in that I am not unique.
    It's never enough
    It's never enough
    It's never enough
    oh ....
    It's never enough
    sing along

VULTURE   6.jpg

DrPepper likes this.
  5. DrPepper

000-18 incoming...

Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 9.40.54 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Holic

Sweet. A player quality 1956 got away from me in the midst of a depression episode I had a decade ago. That won't happen to my beater 1951 00-18. Here they are:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Nelg, lowatter, Treehouse and 2 others like this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Each time I add a new guitar to my quiver it is enough different from what I already have that it adds a new voice or playing style. Its fun to change from playing an OM to a parlor to a resonator to a Weissie... Its fun to change woods and hear their different voices. Its fun to pick up a broken bottle neck and play some blues, fun to hear the jangle of 12 strings. Adding an archtop to the herd forced me to learn music all over again. I keep certain guitars in certain tunings because they just seem to be happy that way.

And because I build each of them I learn something new with every one I make.

Ps - my problem as a builder isn't GAS, I can satisfy that. Its TSA - "honey, can I get a new router?"

Treehouse, Gabrielle84 and DrPepper like this.
  8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I seem to be in an acquisition phase right now, but I don't feel good about it. As much as I like my new guitars, I feel like some perfectly great old(er) guitars are getting ignored. There's only so much time to play...

Treehouse, Deathray and Boreas like this.
  9. DrPepper

I envy your talent Freeman.

10. DrPepper

So... play on... :)

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have not once felt guilty about buying a guitar or an amp. Nope, not once. There’s no other activity that brings me pleasure like music.
    Ok, maybe one, but not for this forum.

I’ve learned how to manage my GAS and a lot of the criteria I now use to evaluate gear has come from very helpful folks here. Sure, some of my GAS has come from here as well, but so what?

I have been thinning down the inventory, but slowly, and trying to upgrade in the process. That works for me.

What also works are the excellent NGD and NAD stories here. AFAIC, it’s all good. Win-win.

Deathray likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

In the past I went through cycles: buy, trade, sell, rinse and repeat. At the peak I had 17 or 19 guitars and then down to 7. I’m back to 8. I think I’ve traded or sold 20+ guitars over the past 12 years and I only say that I regret about letting 3 or 4 of those go. Many of my acquisitions were like a kid collecting toys. I wanted my favorite guitars in my favorite finishes. Pure eye candy.
    I get tempted from time to time but haven’t taken the bait....yet.
    The same is true for selling any of my current guitars. I’ve thought of getting down to my 3 or 4 favorites but I truly like all the current line up so I’ve taken no action.
    Truly, at this point, there is no current production model guitar that I would buy. If I ever buy another guitar it will likely be a built-to-order.
    I make no value judgements of folks who keep acquiring new gear.
    I often think I could have been happy if I would have stuck with my first Strat and my Gibson acoustic. Oh well.

DrPepper likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

14. Freeman Keller

000-18 (or 28) would be high on my list of good guitars. I prefer longer scales so I would be inclined to go with a OM-18/28. However Pepper just bought a spruce over mahogany short scale wide neck guitar for 1200 bucks, now he is buying almost the same thing for twice the price. As I said up in my previous post, I would be very inclined to select another size or woods or style of guitar rather than buying repeated copies of the same thing. Obviously its his money and he shouldn't care what I think but I would probably keep the Martin and get rid of the Yamie,

I own a lot of different guitars, but that is the key word - they are different. Each one wants to play certain songs, each one has its own voice. I'll add that I have built several pairs of guitars but there are always differences, thats how I learn, but I always get rid of one of them, Here is the ought family, Lutz over Mad rose single ought, all mahogany double, sitka over EIR triple (with a long scale neck). Very different voices

IMG_5636.JPG

This is another example - sitka over mahogany OM and cedar over coco. I kept the coco, its my daily player and if I had to own one guitar that would be the one

IMG_5300.JPG

I didn't bond with my old Martin 12 string so I built two others. They are as different as night and day, one of these days I need to sell the Martin

IMG_2023.JPG

There are others, but you get the idea

Boreas and Treehouse like this.
  15. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

About three or four months ago I decided to bid bye-bye to a bunch of guitars and live by a two out for every one in rule. I ended up letting four acoustics and my last remaining electric walk out the door. No, I was not overjoyed about parting with two of the acoustics but it was what it took to seal the deal on a trade I wanted to make. I presently have my eye on something but to obtain it and not violate my oath, I will have to part with one more guitar. Stay tuned t see if I remain an oak.

Boreas and loco gringo like this.
  16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I own enough guitars now that I always have to stop and think about what the count is up to currently. If memory serves, it's 16.

Out of that number, there are a few that I would not be grieved to part with, but my wife and I have discussed moving from the city and downsizing our dwelling, which would necessitate a downsizing of my collection. We may be a few more years removed from such a move, but it's a serious consideration, and therefore the issue of downsizing my collection is more than just a random thought or theoretical concept.

I have an MiK Peavey Raptor Plus that I decided to sell months ago, just haven't gotten around to it yet. It has a nice neck, but I'm not liking the pickups that much. And mainly it's because I'm just not a strat guy (the guitar is strat-ish).

I have a Gretsch Jim Dandy that I bought mainly as a beach guitar. I've also taken it on camping trips, and also play it on our deck in the back yard. It's good for the purpose of an outdoor/camping guitar, and it looks a little like the 1961 Stella by Harmony H-929 that my Dad had back in the '60s, so it would hurt a little to let go, but other of my guitars are more important, so it would probably wind up on the auction block.

I have a 3-string cigar box guitar that was given to me by a friend. It's kind of a fun novelty for slide playing, but I don't play that much slide. As a guitar I'm not overly attached to it, but I'd almost feel disloyal to the friend if I sold it, so I hesitate.

I have two Breedlove acoustic/electrics: a dreadnought I bought in 2008, the other a Concert model, in 2016. I don't want to sell either one, but I no longer (or rarely ever) gig with them, so they'd probably be next on the list. And I'd sell the Concert before the dreadnought.

From there, I don't know what I'd do. I would have a very difficult time selling any of the others. As in extreme hardship/gun-to-my-head difficult.

17. DrPepper

Okay, I have two very similar but, different guitars (one about the price of an American Telecaster and one much less then a custom shop Telecaster). How many here have more than one Telecaster?

Boreas likes this.
  18. Freeman Keller

Which I don't understand either.

Masmus likes this.
  19. DrPepper

Well, I do have 2.. partscaters one is Esquireish... :)

20. DrPepper

On paper and in videos the Yamaha was a winner, when I got it I realized I missed my Martin (sold a nicer Martin to pay some bills).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.