Downsizing to One Car

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
We considered a hybrid, but:
1. It’s 500 miles each way to Boston. We fill up in Connecticut, which takes about 6 minutes vs how long to recharge once or twice? We don’t want to make a 7.5 hour trip into a 9 or 10 hour trip.
This makes no sense. You do not recharge a conventional hybrid vehicle.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't understand this comment. What is the difference if you are stranded in a conventional gas powered car or a hybrid/EV due to accident or inclement weather?
Yeah, and I commented on that.

-At work we have Ford hybrids near or one now maybe at 300,000 miles. Some are 2013 models.
-Two exec Teslas have survived all seasons and do 300 mile trips. Except for tires, the 2017 Model 3 hasn't had any of the repairs or maintenance the Ford Escape and Fusion hybrids have had and the Jeep SUVs operations staff insisted on getting are shining examples of craptacular automobiles no matter what Jeep/Chrysler/Daimler/Fiat/Stellantis corporate name they put on it.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The range of the Toyota I mentioned is 600 miles. The Highlander is less at just over 500 miles.
I hear you and see your point. I have a new Outback. I need all wheel drive and ground clearance for snow. This Outback, and the hybrid Sienna and Highlander all get basically the same real-world gas milage per Car and Driver reviews. I get 28/29mpg average around town. My car cost 31K. Those two cost 10-12K more. A Tesla 3 Long Range is awesome and costs 56K. I see no advantage.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Even with the wife retired and the kids in college, not sure we could live with just one car.
The wife's car was recently in the shop for 3 weeks after a tree fell on it, it was a HUGE PIA :eek:

20220116_135722873_iOS.jpg 20181217_174613907_iOS.jpg 20211224_222854151_iOS.jpg

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
@CharlieO @bobio - I should have been clearer - the conventional hybrids we looked at didn’t have the features of the Forester. To get the size, shape and stuff we wanted, we’d have needed to get a plug in hybrid, and that would t have worked for us.
A plug in hybrid would not work significantly different from a conventional hybrid in the long trip situation. When the plug in hybrid runs out of charge it runs on gasoline.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I hear you and see your point. I have a new Outback. I need all wheel drive and ground clearance for snow. This Outback, and the hybrid Sienna and Highlander all get basically the same real-world gas milage per Car and Driver reviews. I get 28/29mpg average around town. My car cost 31K. Those two cost 10-12K more. A Tesla 3 Long Range is awesome and costs 56K. I see no advantage.
There are a couple of AWD versions of the Prius ;)

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We're retired and live in a small town in the Philly exurbs and I can walk or bike for most errands. We could easily get by with one car around here, but we spend 3-4 months a year in North Carolina during the winter - combination of much mellower winters and we have a daughter, son in law, and granddaughter down there. And there, we rent a place that's not close to anything, so we pretty much need both cars. For years when I was working I was cycling to work 3-4 days per week and almost could have done with one car, but our daughters were coming into driving age, so it made sense to have one car for my wife, who worked driving distance from home, and one for my daughters and I to share as they started driving. So we've never actually been down to one car, but there have been times we lived as if we were.

-Ray

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
We have my wife’s 06 Accord (looking a bit shabby but runs well) plus my 21 Forester Limited, which we got a year ago — still got a great deal on it, and it’s now worth more than we paid. We visit our daughter in Boston from here in Virginia 5 times a year, and we’re usually bringing and taking home a lot of stuff. Plus i wanted something that works for going to gigs.

We considered a hybrid, but:
1. It’s 500 miles each way to Boston. We fill up in Connecticut, which takes about 6 minutes vs how long to recharge once or twice? We don’t want to make a 7.5 hour trip into a 9 or 10 hour trip.
2. At home, a plug in is out. We’re in a middle of the row townhouse, no garage, no outside outlet.

If the Accord goes, we’ll stick with one car - too hard to replace it now, anyway. We both work from home, and if needed, there’s Uber or Lyft.
I'm not saying replace something inappropriate for your own use but several EV owners close to me are not adding 1.5 to 2.5 hours to longer road trips. My boss has made so many Indianapolis and twin cities trips that he's absolutely certain on Tesla SuperCharger claims of 200 miles for 15 minutes. A very close friend who makes trips across 2-4 states says he still spends more time peeing and eating than charging.

On occasion they do have some extra matters to deal with but they point out it never exceeds the core utility of usually leaving home with a full tank (battery) and lots of other advantages. It's why my boss is waiting for his electric pickup to arrive and replace his full-sized GM pickup.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
fyi...you can get the dealer to install aftermarket heated seats. I almost went with the base model because I dislike their "infotainment screen".

Yeah, I know, but I went for other upgrades that I needed instead.

One of the nice things about Subaru is that during the inventory shortage, pretty much every vehicle is built to order at the factory. I was able to order the exact options and color I wanted, but had to wait about 12 weeks for delivery.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
A Model Y is $10,000 more than our first considering one with delivery 9 months out. Buying any desirable vehicle right now is rather madness.

I'm fine with our Outbacks but my wife has finally come out saying she can't stand driving them. Last week I tried to buy another Outback among a few vehicles and found they will only take orders for loaded turbo models now. The dealer sales manager said his info has him fearing 2023s will be late to arrive. Thus, I was happy to put maintenance/repair money in ours with 77,000 miles and wait out the industry issues. We'll sell the older Outback when all the kids are in college at end of summer.

It's kind of extra funny that my wife finally said she only liked the Subarus as a safe boring appliance because our daughter loves them and I think they've been perfect for the use. She could buy any of a few really nice vehicles but can't get herself to do it.

I don't think our German AWD wagon with manual trans could stand up to what the Outbacks have.

Edit: Maybe @JL_LI needs to work on my wife. One of our boys points out she wants a BMW M but doesn't really know it. Except for travel, food, drink, our house and zip code, my wife has a hard time spending on nice things.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We only have one car. Our garage is too small for two. If we had a larger garage I would get an EV for trips around town. 90% of what we do anyway.

I have to larf at myself. We have a two-car garage and neither of our cars has ever been inside -- too much crap stored there. My wife talks about cleaning it our but then I say, so you want to get rid of X -- "no", how about Y -- "no". Yeah, right.

Maybe you need to garage your cars for security. We aren't even good at locking our doors.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I don't understand this comment. What is the difference if you are stranded in a conventional gas powered car or a hybrid/EV due to accident or inclement weather?
Thirty degrees and stuck in traffic for a prolonged time like happened in VA or PA recently. Sliding off the road and getting stranded. An electric heater in an EV/Hybrid, I would assume, would suck the juice out of a battery relatively quick. At least a hybrid has an ICE. And if my Outback does run out of gas I'd imagine it's a lot easier to dump a few gallons down the tank vs charging a battery.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thirty degrees and stuck in traffic for a prolonged time like happened in VA or PA recently. Sliding off the road and getting stranded. An electric heater in an EV/Hybrid, I would assume, would suck the juice out of a battery relatively quick. At least a hybrid has an ICE. And if my Outback does run out of gas I'd imagine it's a lot easier to dump a few gallons down the tank vs charging a battery.
You assumed incorrectly. The anti-EV BS related to this concern has been conclusively debunked.

Last edited:

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
To the OP...sorry we highjacked your post. Being that kids are involved and all...keep the CRV. Trade the Passat while the offers are good, and get the vehicle that fits your needs. Pre-order if you can. That would be my advice. I feel bad for anyone that needs to find car asap in these times.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
You assumed incorrectly. The anti-EV BS related to this concern has been conclusively debunked.
Well excuse me! Let me know how it works out for you next time you get delayed during a snowstorm in sunny Florida. In the meantime, I'll stick with my PZEV. Gees I tell ya. Peace. I'm outta here.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Since the thread has gotten a bit off track, I will now respond to the original post. My wife and I have three cars and I cannot imagine getting down to one car until we get to a point where one of us can no longer drive. We live in an area where mass transit is infrequent and everything we need involves driving. Sure, we could use Uber, but both of us enjoy driving. My wife drives a 22 year old Toyota Celica that isn't worth anything and costs almost nothing to maintain, and it has a manual transmission. She loves driving stick shift, and will probably drive this car until the day that she dies. She is quite independent and has a routine that is quite different from mine. Neither one of us would be happy if we had to give up any of our activities to drive the other one to appointments, social activities, or whatever. Many of our retired neighbors have downsized to one car. We have observed how they manage to get by, and have decided that we do not want to live that way.

I think that the right way for us to do it would be to just downsize from 3 to 2 relatively inexpensive and reliable cars. I will always have an EV or plug-in hybrid, and what I really need is an EV convertible.