1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Down sizing to multi-efx unit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Dec 3, 2020.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Need some help. Older rocker from the 60's. I need to down size to a multi efx unit. Can't justify $$$ for
    latest multi efx. Play jazz, early rock, blues. Like Steely Dan, Stones, any 60's to early 70's sound, no metal necessary. Interested in Boss GT-8 or possibly ME80, or possible Line 6 alternative. Playing through a MMRD50. Great clean amp. Actually bought NUX MG300 but lacks capability to change on the fly. Any help opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Boreas likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

NUX Cerberus can change on the fly and sounds awesome
    Older BOSS multis are great, can be had cheaply, and many of them feature knobs for quick editing as needed

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

These also sound great and you can find them available for very little dough
    (I have two)
    [​IMG]

4. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

The zoom g3 is also a good option.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I highly recommend the Boss ME series. I loved my old ME50. Super simple to use, no menus to scroll, lots of options but not an exhausting amount, good tone.

MilwMark and teleteej like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Would something like this work for you?

https://www.sonicake.com/

I use the Twiggy Blues and it works fairly well. Certainly compact, simple, and inexpensive.

7. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

+1 on the Boss ME80. Easy to use and quite affordable on the used market.

badger51, MilwMark and naveed211 like this.
  8. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

When I ditched my peddle board for a multi I was looking along the lines of the GT1000 but my local shop owner knowing me as well as he does told me don't bother as you'll never figure it out and even if I did wouldn't use a fraction of what it can do and pointed me to the ME80. Probably the best advice I ever took. I still don't use a fraction of what the ME80 can do but even a tech dummy such as myself can figure it out.

9. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I guy I used to play with at Chiricahua used an Boss ME80 and it sounded pretty good. Didn’t seem all that complicated either. I had a Zoom G3X and wasn’t a huge fan of it but that’s just me. I did like the Digitech RP-360, pretty easy to use and the sound seemed more natural to me than the Zoom.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I've had the ME70 and several zoom units, including one of the newest ones, and absolutely hated all of them. I think I'm pretty much in a similar playing demographic as the OP, and I decided that quality single pedals are the only thing thing that will satisfy my ears.

In my opinion the best way to go the digital multi route is to buy one of the amplifiers that has everything built-in. That way everything is designed to work together and you don't have all the variables of trying to make the pedal sound good with your particular amplifier and speaker.

Even my $99 Fender Champion 20 sounds worlds better than those pedals to me.

gabeNC likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think if your frame of reference is individual stomps, there is no easier multi interface than the Boss ME series.

I had and was very, very with the ME80. It was just larger and had more options than I needed.

I've never tried the ME50. It seems perfect. I don't know if the sounds in the 50 are the same as the 80. Maybe someone else here does.

But the sounds and feel of the ME80 were superb IMO, and it was as easy for me to use as a board of individual stomp boxes.

12. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

HX Stomp is a great unit. Easy to navigate and very small. Tons of effects and amp and cabinet models. Works great with headphones and as a digital interface.

Fluddman and RyCo1983 like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

You can pick up a decent used Line 6 unit on eBay for a great price. Even the older stuff sounds good.

14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Budget is probably the big question. For very little, a used zoom G3 or G5 probably gets you there.

3-Chord-Genius and kLyon like this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve gigged for the last four or five years with a TC Electronic Nova System. I use it in “manual” mode so it works just like a regular pedalboard. I love it.

Wyzsard, Rocky058 and blowtorch like this.
  16. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Yes, these Tonelab's can be had fairly cheap, are durable and sound great. I paid $100 for mine a couple years ago. Excellent and it's all I'd need for 90% of the territory I need to cover gigging...it's the other 10% that requires a few more things.
    At home and for most everything, this nails it. I run in front of an amp and direct into pc with it.

Attached Files:

blowtorch likes this.
  17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve jumped that fence and back too many times. I’ll stick with my pedals. The alternatives are better than ever but I like knobs and switches.

SRHmusic, Rocky058 and MilwMark like this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've heard some great sounds from people using the ME-80.

3-Chord-Genius and MilwMark like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I recently bought a Line 6 Pod GO via a super great deal on price through a friend. It's cool-- an affordable Helix, but ultimately I went back to my analog pedalboard. IMO the digital solutions tend to fall down most of all on dirt pedals. The digital approach to creating dirt just isn't quite there yet, not to my ears....at least not for lower levels of dirt for classic rock, blues, etc. Also the fuzzes don't sound very good. Super heavy metal-- sure, no problem.

If you really need a multi-effects solution, I would consider a hybrid solution-- one or two good analog dirt pedals (plenty of cheap clones out there), combined with a multi-effects in your price range that handles everything but dirt-- reverb, echo, chorus, tremolo, phaser, flanger. Zoom might be cheapest and easiest. If within your budget, the Boss MS-3 would be a very deluxe solution--

upload_2020-12-3_10-44-53.png

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ms-3/

I've never used one of the Zoom multi-stomps, but my bass player did. I could totally see having one good dirt pedal of my choice going into a Zoom multi-stomp to handle all non-dirt. Would make for a very small rig. The interface with its tiny screen would be my only concern, but I'm told it works well and isn't hard to understand.

upload_2020-12-3_10-49-39.png

Tornado, privatesalt, kLyon and 2 others like this.
  20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Buy Last year's technology.
    I HAD a POD, rack mount POD, Boss fx units , all crap to my ears. . . . . .
    So what did I do? Used Eleven Rack.
    The Eleven rack is the Protools guitar interface, don't need protools, just program on the unit or use the eleven rack editor.
    Amps, speakers, mics, up to 8 fx in 1 patch, downloadable patches
    As soon as I plugged it in it knew it was waaaaaay better than the pod units.
    I have 2, 1 to travel (in a 3 space rack case) and 1 for home, USED with the expansion pack upgrade ---->>>>> $200
    Can't beat the sound quality
    Just sayin

Mikesk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.