Down-and-dirty music videos?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Jun 5, 2020.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I've gotten drafted for a virtual "festival" spot, one song, and I'd like to do a backing track with subtle bass, drums and acoustic git, with live vocal and Tele through a tiny 5W amp. What's the best bet for audio? I know iPhones/iPads capture good video, but I'm skeptical about the audio quality.

The backing track would be a piece of cake, but I'm clueless at video, although I've dabbled with iMovie doing Ken Burns-type music videos. Is there any affordable solution that combines passable video with decent audio? The SMPTE route (marrying up separate audio and video tracks) is probably over my head for this deadline (July 20).

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Don’t need SEMPTE to do audio added to video. It’s way easier than that.

3. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I’m not sure what you’re asking. How to make the backing track, or how to film you playing? Or something else?

drmordo likes this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

A usb mixer / audio interface should plug and play with a phone to get pristine mixed audio with the video. You might need a ‘camera connection kit’ for the apple device.

i assume you want to film a performance with the backing track?

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

No need to use the live shot audio from iPhone. The audio from the iPhone video can be replaced by the backing track + vocal and guitar done in your studio. They are perfectly synced if you can play it the same twice. You have to play it the same if playing with a backing track. So most free video editing software will let you paste in the studio audio and slide it left or right to sync with the video. There won’t be extensive video editing, just paste in the new audio, trim video start and ending. So build the track and record guitar and vocal while practicing. Practice, practice, you need to know the song well enough to play and sing it the same. Then finally shoot the video, load it up in to video editor and replace the audio.

++ If you were recording live audio with an audience, pull the iPhone audio into DAW, use voice cancellation (or not) use it for background ambience mixing it with studio audio. Then paste mix to video.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  6. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I suggest start with which non-linear editor to use. There are free versions of Avid Media Composer and Davinci Resolve which are more than enough. It can be installed on same system as your DAW with any luck.

Working with video tends to like your audio being sampled at 48khz and some popular apps like GarageBand on iPhone are set to 44.1khz.

I’d use the same DAW you’re using to make the backing track to overdub ‘live’ vocals/guitar, in takes, while simultaneously recording video on whichever camera device you decide.

When setting up the camera you should choose 1080p30, as you are in North America (not all of us are!), and use the same settings when setting up your NLE project.

As Pineears said, once the video and audio media is inside the NLE it’s pretty much drag drop and a bit of slip slide to get audio in sync with pictures.
    If getting an entire performance down from top to bottom is an issue one trick is to use different camera angles. Say a wide shot, close up of your strumming hand, side shot of face etc. This allows you to cut between different video takes while still listening to the best audio comp, if that makes sense.

Reach out if you need more details. :)

7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I need a free simple vid editor, since I killed movie maker when I did a dejunking Windows 10 reload.

8. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Davinci Resolve is free (there’s a paid studio version with more features). It has fewer limitations than Avid Media Composer First but definitely not a toy. It’s commonly used for colour grading, but also has pretty sophisticated video, audio and VFX tools.
    Download button is at bottom of the link:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve/

9. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I've downloaded Movie Maker recently and run it on a couple of different spec Win 10 machines

10. woodman

My original down-and-dirty idea was to simply make the backing track (drums and bass, a piece of cake as I mentioned in the first post), then do the live performance (vocal and Tele) in front of my big studio monitors, facing an iPad running in movie mode.

My thought was: Maybe I could mute the audio from the performance, drop the video into iMovie per GuitarPix's method, and sync the audio to sweeten up the rhythm section portion. I dunno, sounds harebrained when I write it out. All the other participants are just using their smartphones for the whole shebang, so maybe I'll just run with the herd.

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

You can buy an adapter and go direct from mixer or DAW into iPad.

12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Lip-sync it. Probably the only way to get a really good sound.

I've been seeing all kinds of garbage on FB - pro local club players with a really useless sound from a cell video.

Showing-off on social media but inept at actually making a product.

13. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Name change from Woodman to Vanilla Wood ??? :lol:

woodman likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure how far in advance of July 20 you need to be completed, but if you otherwise have more than a month, you have plenty of time.

Here's a link to a video that I produced for a friend; combination of photos and live video. All of the video singing and playing was done lip-synced to the original track. The original song was studio recorded and included more instrumentation than you see in the vid, but all in all, it works ok.

Gratutious content warning: the vid was produced for a political campaign, although that part of the message doesn't come until the end. It was something my friend wanted to do.

The video was all put together and edited on a laptop macbook, using the apple iMovie free version. Not fabulous for multitracking and limited bells and whistles, but enough for an ok music vid. Feel free to disagree or use this as a reason not to attempt something more than an iPhone video. But at least the sound quality was good and with minimal effort, you have titles, credits, and fades, dissolves and other scene changes without looking too much like a Power Point Ranger.

Just food for thought.

woodman, Biffasmum and Bartholomew3 like this.
  15. woodman

Well, I went with a variant of Plan A ... the audio from the iPad was utterly atrocious, unacceptable. So I built a little backing track and recorded the vocal and Tele simultaneously, with the iPad video running, as if I were playing with an invisible band. So the vocal is somewhat editable as long as I don't deviate radically from what's on the video track. ... Once edited, I'll drop the whole shebang into iMovie, sync it up and call it a wrap.

This project embodies the old saw "no good deed goes unpunished!"

teletimetx, Martin R and suthol like this.
  16. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

OMG, don't start with Composer. iMovie will be good enough for what you're doing.
    There may be a sync issue. I'm not sure what the sample rate for iMovie is. It should be 48KHz, and if I remember right you record at 44.1.

17. woodman

Yeah, Martin, iMovie did the trick just fine, although it's changed a lot since my fling with it seven years ago! ... And thanx for the 48KHz tip, that accounts for the video slowly slipping out of sync. But it's sufficient unto the day as is — everybody else is just recording thru their phones.

Martin R likes this.
  18. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I learned that the hard way. We had been recording in GarageBand and mixing in Logic. I imported some of the tracks to a 48KHz project...well you know what happened.
    It took me about a year to learn what the problem had been.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.