Dove Canyon Studios Pickup Winder?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ranjam, Jan 27, 2020.

1. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Hey! If this is the wrong spot to ask, let me know, and I apologize ahead of time.
    Has anyone tried this pickup winder? It looks cool, but as soon as I see the kit includes rubber bands.....o_O
    It's a !@#$ of a lot cheaper than the Schatten, which doesn't get great reviews....... so.....
    Anyone? TIA!

2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

There is a video on youtube and I did find this on ebay I assume that the power is with DC but there is nothing about this on the sale. If a AC DC adapter is included it does not say.

If I had a monkey I might buy something like this. 30 dollars :)

[​IMG]

3. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the housing appears to be a laser cut finger joint box that you get to glue up, no big deal, most likely done for ease of shipping. not sure from the pix if the counter is optical or magnetic. i don't see where it lists the RPM and that is an important consideration. the platform disc, where the bobbin goes, has no central mounting machine screw, so that means using double stick tape - yuck.

[​IMG]

a good hobby winder will run variably from 0 to about 2000rpm (to 4000rpm or more for a commercial winder), mount the bobbin with a central machine screw, employ an optical turn counter, there is no need to reverse the motor direction and no need for an adjustable coil wire guide. an excellent winder can be made using a micro or mini lathe, adding on an optical digital turn counter.

DSC03377.JPG

CFFF likes this.
  4. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Yeah, it doesn't list the RPM, and you do use double-sided tape to attach your bobbin. I thought that was kind of cheesy. It's a 12VDC adapter, and I don't know if that is included.
    I had Jason Lollar's book and plans, but damn I'm lazy. I really want to just buy a winder, but not for $500 if you know what I mean. Patience is a virgin, or whatever the saying is. :D

5. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

There is a video on YouTube it shows a DIY winder for 50 dollars. In the description it has links to the parts. It all looks similar to the sale you have here. I read some amazon reviews of the motor used. Some said that that the maximum measured rpm was less then 100. This for a motor avertized at 1000rpm.

I would seriously consider the advice by @Rob DiStefano

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.