1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Doug Seven Videos

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tsa16, Oct 3, 2009.

1. tsa16

tsa16 TDPRI Member

Hi Folks,

I'm a new member trying to get started in chicken pickin' and country guitar. I know the basics of guitar; and my fingers are pretty limber from playing mostly mandolin the last four years. I just got a Tele so I can learn to play country. I'm trying to immerse myself in that world and get to know the in's and out's.

Anyway, I came across Doug Seven's site and was wondering if his series of DVD's is a good place to start. Does anyone have these and recommend them? Is the entire set pretty comprehensive? What do folks think?

I know there are postings on other videos; and I apologize if this is redundant. I just wanted to ask specifically about this series. If there is something else that I MUST have for getting started, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Tyler,
    They are a very good place to start.
    Unlike some of the other vids out there, Doug actually takes the time to give a little explanation of how the mechanics of the riff are done.

3. polishcomedy

polishcomedy Tele-Meister

Definitely a good place to start. Get the whole set, you won't be disappointed.

4. gtrdave71

gtrdave71 TDPRI Member

Thumbs up!

5. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

+1 - Lots of info on these. Good stuff.

6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Doug Seven rocks. He's just great to listen too. I have the first two videos. They are heavily riff focused. I would recommend getting them and wear the frets off your guitar running them. BUT, they are not focused on theory or playing around changes or anything like that so they are not a total answer to all your guitar playing prayers.

There is another guy out there producing chicken pickin style videos but I don't own them....yet, Sol Philcox. Those look good too.

I would highly recommend the Albert Lee videos.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  7. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

The Sol Philcox DVD's are amazing... :)

8. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

SOME of doug's vidoes are very riff based, but others focus on mechanics and where the stuff comes from. Vol 4 has alot of usable basic rythm stuff and playing in circles really does do some playing over changes and if you sign up for his newsletter he gives you access to his free videos wich deal with more basic playing out of positions type stuff. He has alot of material and its not all riffs.

9. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

The combination of Sol Philcox DVD's and D7's stuff is a great combination. I bounce back and forth between the two. There is crossover and that is good for getting the style concept.

10. beejay493

beejay493 Tele-Meister

i just got the doug seven stuff-man,he talks a lot!

11. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

True he does talk alot. And he is not mic'ed on his first video which makes him hard to hear. The quality of the second is a little better.

12. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

Haha - no kidding. His first vids are the lengthiest in terms of rambling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.