Doug Seven Alternatives

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by sgappa, Sep 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sgappa

sgappa TDPRI Member

I've been cautiously checking out Doug's site the past few months after seeing some bad reviews on users not getting refunds for undelivered courses. Just got a new tele and really wanted to dive head first into more technical country stuff, so I checked his site out and it looks like it's completely shut down.

Anyone know of some good alternatives to Doug that cover country licks and the positions they come from? Also hoping to learn more of the Paisley style.

2. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My favourite is Jason loughlin, he won’t grate on you

artdecade and matrix like this.
  3. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Yeah, I have found my money to be well-spent on truefire courses. Jason Loughlin is one of the best instructors.

I have also been working through Corey Congilio's modern country licks recently, which has been surprisingly rewarding

teletail, artdecade and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I've got 3 or 4 of the Jason Loughlin courses from Truefire also. I like them, and have learned a thing or two from each of them so far.

I believe Truefire has a 30-day free trial deal whereby you can access all of their material, so you could at least do that and get an idea if they appeal to your style/level/etc.

5. Titletone

Titletone Tele-Meister

I really like Active Melody. Great lessons on just about every genre, not only country. He writes a song every week that uses the full fretboard and explains the chord shape that he is using in each position. He usually breaks the lesson in half and the first half is free. Some of these free lessons span a half hour. For $67 a year, you get access to the full lesson along with tabs, jam tracks and slowed down play alongs. There is also a huge library of lessons going back years.

pixeljammer likes this.
  6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

TrueFire all access is well worth the money I spend each year. Look for the once a year Black Friday pricing. All genres/ excellent lessons.

7. BigbirdPhila

BigbirdPhila TDPRI Member

Take a look at Ken Carlson's site:

https://countryguitarchops.com/

He has some technically challenging arrangements. The problem I've found is that his tabs rarely match his arrangements -- especially the difficult sections. I usually have to re-tab them. Ken is also very light on theory.

I second the recommendation of ActiveMelody:

https://www.activemelody.com/

Brian's lessons are divided into two parts. The first part is free and the second part is available to members. You can try a few lessons for free and decide if you want to join. Brian does explain some of the theory, but not so much as to put you to sleep. I think he is best guitar instructor on YouTube.

Titletone and historicus146 like this.
  8. sgappa

sgappa TDPRI Member

Wow, thanks a ton guys! Any idea what happened to Doug? He always seemed to have a lot to offer despite the cheesy sales pitches.

9. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted

I've been at ArtistWorks for Guthrie Trapp for a couple of months now. Really, really good imo.

Appreciate the recs from others... great suggestions.

sgappa likes this.
  10. sst69

sst69 TDPRI Member

in my opinion Jason Loughlin is the absolute best when it comes to country especially classic, western swing and Rockabilly. However if you are look for the more modern Braid Paisley/Brent Mason stuff he might not be the best choice. Corey Congilio is a great teacher but he only has a few country course. Most of his stuff is blues.

Ken Carlson stuff is good and really helped me to get into the chicken picking type of but agree the tabs are pretty screwed up and times and you can tell he is self taught and he doesn't really understand correct timing in the notation so the tabs can be very difficult to correlate with the tracks. He also mainly plays with a thumb pick (except on his Brad Paisley course) Not trying to sound too down have gone through his chicken picken, Work man and Folsom course and they were all good.

Johnny Hiland has some decent course on truefire. He has a lot of flashy, difficult and cool licks but he is not as good a teach as someone like Jason Loughlin or Corey Congilio.

I have a ton of Doug Seven and have found it very hard to get into his stuff because there is so much rambling. He is a great player but I almost never go to his material as the organization is terrible and it's just way too much rambling and rambling.

I also am member of active melody. His lessons are good and he really does focus on "melody" and not just riffing. However he does not do the flash Brent Mason type of stuff. He is really good for country ballad type of stuff.

Another option is SixStringCountry. They have some good stuff and you can pretty much download every thing. This focuses much more of modern country. T

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Jason is the man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.