Doug Sahm

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Mar 19, 2013.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Back when he died a lot of people here were going on about how great his music was, I knew really nothing outside of "Mendicino", so I thought I'd keep an eye out. Just yesterday my copy of "Best of Sir Douglas 68-75" came in. I've only listened to maybe half of it so far, but all I can say is "wow".

This guy sure could write a song.

2. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

He's one of those guys I'd heard about for years but never really checked out closely. Probably because he wasn't 'mainstream'. He was on an Uncle Tupelo track. Back when you download music for free, I had a bunch of his music.

3. blowtorch

Yeah, one of the original "Y'allternative" artists, along with Graham Parsons, Flying Burrito Bros, Commander Cody, etc etc

A real genius, I think.

Dan R, Jim W and drlucky like this.
  4. Quarterpounder

Quarterpounder Tele-Meister

I saw Doug Sahm sing "Give back the key to my heart" with Son Volt at Liberty Lunch in Austin. It's the song off of Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne record that Joe above mentioned. He sure had some mojo.

Johnson johnson likes this.
  5. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

+1 for Doug Sahm - his two lps for Atlantic records are great as are the Last of the Real Texas Blues Band and Juke Box Music. Also the Formerly Brothers with Amos Garrett and Gene Taylor are also fantastic. I like all his records both solo and with the Quintet. He also shows up on Willlie Nelson's Shotgun Willie.

One of the truly great musicians and leaders.

6. blowtorch

I wonder, how is it that outside of the knowing few, he never really got his due?

Was it that his writing, and the sense of humor and irony incorporated within, was too offbeat to bring about much mainstream success?

7. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Get the Sir Douglas Quintet live on ACL. It's one of my favorite "car CDs" .

Johnson johnson likes this.
  8. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I really loved the guy, not only because he was a genuine decent person, he was very much an innovator. Most of the bands that he played with started about 10 years before his time.

9. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Sixth grade. In my room with the record player all the way up playing along to "She's About A Mover". Singing at the top of my lungs.

Dad opens the door and gives me the look. I smile and keep singing. He shuts the door.

Doug was always one of my favorites. He owned that rock/blues/country wheel house that I grew up on. Only got to see him a couple times and I still really miss him.

MickM and drlucky like this.
  10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I've been a fan since I came across "Sir Doug and Band" in a cutout bin in about 1977. Got to see the Texas Tornados back in the 90s when they were hot!

Doug was way too real, and way too unpredictable, for the music industry to do anything with him.

Tim

11. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

YES!

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Freakin' great singer...thanks for bringing this album up Jim W. Doug did so many things and all of them well.

13. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

If you look real close on the back of "Doug Sahm and Band," you can see Bob Dylan peeking out from behind some other guy. If Bob is playing rhythm guitar on your record in 1972, you're probably a pretty cool dude.

xafinity and drlucky like this.
  14. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

Doug, Augie, and the boys have been a staple in the San Antonio music scene since the 60's. Since Doug's passing, his son Shawn has taken the reins and has the Texas Tornadoes back out on the road and in the studio. I remember seeing the Quintet, Augie Meyer and the Western Head Band, and several other Austin and San Antonio based acts several times in the 72-75 time frame. Doug and Augie were standouts at the free concert to save radio station KEXL, an outstanding FM album rock station in SA. Unfortunately, KEXL later shut their doors anyway.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

He could put on a show.
    When I went to UT in 78, I'd see him at the Rome Inn.
    He was a natural musician, he seemed unable to play something
    that didn't fit.
    He kept the dance floors full, too.
    Doin' the work!
    Another story:
    I sold him a stereo system (my day job), in 77.
    He was funny, quick and completely unassuming.
    I became a fan then and there.

Dan R and drlucky like this.
  16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

One of my favorite albums. From Country, Blues, TexMex,.. all the good stuff. Plus the artists playing on the album are a who's who of American music. It's the first place I found out about Flaco Jiménez. Ray Charles' sax player, David "Fathead" Newman was on the album. DR. John, David Bromberg,.. Bob Dylan,.. Wayne Jackson. Plus tunes by The Delmore Brothers, Willie, T Bone Walker,... Bob Dylan. Absolutely great stuff.

I bought one album by Sahm, I think it was called Gulfport Bound, can't find any info on it, but it had a jazz/pop feel to it. He was all over the place musically, not an easy artist to promote.

Doug was a child prodigy, played fiddle and pedal steel, on the radio when he was 5 years old. Here's a promo pic of "Little Doug"

[​IMG]

Doug Sahm is an American treasure, the real deal.

Here's a historical footnote, Huey P. Meaux aka, the Crazy Cajun, a producer and a promoter from the gulf coast was the guy who convinced Doug and Augie Meyers to become the Sir Douglas Quintet and pass themselves off as an English act to get on the charts.

I have a bud who did a year on the road w/ Doug playing bass in the 80's. He reports it was a fog, literally. It's no secret Mr. Sahm enjoyed the left handed cigarettes.

[​IMG]

Dan R and Johnson johnson like this.
  17. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

My story is similar to Tim Armstong's. I found the Doug Sahm and Band album in the cut-out bin of Atlantic Mills in Olneyville, RI in 1974-75. I bought it on the strength of the cool looking cover and the assembled musicians. I was floored...LOVED IT!! It felt like you were in on the sessions, it has such a great live feel.

I saw Doug and The Quintet in 1983 in Providence to, sadly, a less than packed room. MY GAIN! He/they put on a SPECATULAR show. One of my all time favorite concerts.

Here's Doug with Bob during the DS&B sessions....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan R likes this.
  18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think I've ever come across anyone who has heard his music and doesn't like it. There is something perfect about it.

Playboy After Dark...

In younger days:

Dan R, xafinity and drlucky like this.
  19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Sir Douglas Quintet + 2 "Honkey Blues" LP among his best. Horns, jazz, soul, psychedelia, and all Doug.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Doug seemed to always be in control of his musical destiny.
    He just did what he pleased, with whom, and when he pleased.
    He also appeared to be perfectly at ease with that.
    The coolest!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.