Doubling, Tripling Up On Your Favorite Pedals

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
All things must pass. I don't buy backups. If something fails and I can't replace it, I'll do without or get to try new things. My old, first gen Fulltone Supa Trem has chosen a particularly mean time to become unreliable. I like that thing, the speed and hard/soft buttons, the big radio knobs. I may find someone to fix it, but if I can't, I'll get something else. I don't like to cling too hard to any particular things.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Only pedal I've doubled up on is my Catalinbread Topanga... My first one started acting up so I bought another (B-Stock) as well. Since then the first one has fixed itself, but good to have a backup. One needs one's Topanga!

bowman

Friend of Leo's
The only time I bought a duplicate pedal was because I forgot I already had one. But lucky for me, it was just a cheap Behringer thing bought on a whim so I didn’t waste a lot of money.

Captdan61

Tele-Meister
I’ve done that on a few. Spent nearly 30 years looking for the perfect overdrive for me. Found it. Then bought a second. Almost bought two more but they were too pricey even used.
So a telecaster and what looks like a tweed deluxe. If that is your rig. I would be very interested in your choice in overdrives. I keep buying pedals trying to really find that sound in my head. I use a tweed deluxe and a esquire or some kind of les Paul p-90’s or humbuckers.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I am thinking of buying another Bad Monkey, before they become too expensive

This is a a case where I'd seek out the CM-2 - Same circuit albeit minus the mixer out, better built, 'better' sound - I like my Monkey but at inflated prices I'd look for better alternatives.

The only time I can envisage having the same pedal twice would be if I wanted a second board and absolutely HAD to have a specific pedal on both.

A more likely doubling up situation will be me upgrading from a cheap clone; for example I picked up a cheap Behringer Blues Overdrive and have since had my eye on either the BD-2w or Angry Driver. Similarly my multi-effect unit has got me interested in a few stand alone vintage devices but here I feel more inspired to try a few kits and build them myself.

Last edited:

John O

Tele-Meister
i don't buy backup or duplicate pedals. i've never had a pedal fail (yet). i'm sure that happens, but i've bought maybe 20 pedals since 1975, still waiting for that. i still have my maestro phaser from the 70's, works great but i don't use it much.
[i learned last friday night that a backup mixer is a good thing to have as our 12 channel mackie failed at a gig. i have a backup carvin, usually don't bring backup mixers to gigs but that night i did for some reason and it came in way handy!].

i've sold a few pedals along the way like a boss DD3 back in the '90's when i started using a digital multieffector that had a bunch of delays on board. when i came back to pedals in 2000 i bought another dd3 (used) because it is good at what it does.

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
So a telecaster and what looks like a tweed deluxe. If that is your rig. I would be very interested in your choice in overdrives. I keep buying pedals trying to really find that sound in my head. I use a tweed deluxe and a esquire or some kind of les Paul p-90’s or humbuckers.
Yes, that’s mine. A 1952 Telecaster and 1959 Princeton.

I have a few Fender amps: ‘66 Deluxe Reverb, ‘83 Super Champ, ‘78 Pro Reverb, etc. I like a mild to moderate overdriven tone for blues, something that sounds and cleans up like an old tube amp.

For guitars I use pre-CBS Teles and Strats or a 1980 ES-347.

I dial in the sound I want using a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive.

I’m no pro, so that simple set-up suits my noodling perfectly and has for many, many years.

Captdan61

Tele-Meister
Yes, that’s mine. A 1952 Telecaster and 1959 Princeton.

I have a few Fender amps: ‘66 Deluxe Reverb, ‘83 Super Champ, ‘78 Pro Reverb, etc. I like a mild to moderate overdriven tone for blues, something that sounds and cleans up like an old tube amp.

For guitars I use pre-CBS Teles and Strats or a 1980 ES-347.

I dial in the sound I want using a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive.

I’m no pro, so that simple set-up suits my noodling perfectly and has for many, many years.
Thank you for the reply that is a paddle I’ve never tried I keep searching for my sounded yes I stack and I use low to medium game pedals kind of an OTR one type thing nobles and I really like the Kingsley page which is just a tube preamp pedal but it sounds amazing but I’m always looking for something else that magic that I haven’t found yet if you know what I mean it’s a horrible addiction thanks very much for your reply

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
54afba_db13f7587a8b42b6805992a1eba6ad39~mv2.jpg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sure, and at times there are exactly zero examples of a favorite OOP pedal for sale anywhere on earth at any price.
Plus many are 30-35 years old so even parts cannot be bought anywhere.
I might have 20 pedals with the old reticon bbd chips in them.
Those old dogs act up too, some are extra noisy or a clock stops working etc.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Only for something really specific and special. Honestly, there aren’t a lot of pedals that make the cut for me. There are pedals I really like that I’d also be ok with a good stand in that was similar. I think generally for me it’s the oddball pedals that there aren’t good substitutes for that I tend to stock up on. Or oddball fragile pedals like behringer clones of out of print boss pedals.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Robert Quine is one of my favorite musicians. Apparently, he bought multiples of gear that he thought would eventually go out of production. I found this list of his gear on the web - it's incomplete as it only lists guitar, basses, and amps, but you get the picture. :oops:

Gotta love how he had a million '52 reissues and like 10 DRRIs. And yet everybody thinks of him as a strat player.

Last edited:

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I have kind of an addiction for Barber pedals, so, I tend to buy them anytime I can. So, I have definitely more than one version of the LTD, DD and Burn Unit variants.

Besides that, I have a deep love for the Digitech Digidelay (set to Mode 5 and all controls at noon, that is just the million dollar sound!) and have 3 of them at the moment, because I am afraid, one may break down and cannot be repaired due to SMD parts or parts being not produced anymore.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
There are some Ibanez Tone Lok pedals that I have more than one. Ibanez is a typical brand for this sort of thing happening. They are big and accessable but very inconsistent. A pedal might be all over the place and then be cancelled. Then the next one is not quite like the old one. They keep a variation (and other manufacturers pile up more) of tube screamers on shelves but they've forgot about loads of great products.

I think the same is already happening to Digitech pedals. I have two of a certain pedal they used to make. I hope someone picks up the brand and keeps the legacy alive.

I wonder if this is happening to the smaller brands whose product prices have been pretty high from the beginning, discontinued Chase Bliss pedals for example?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been around long enough to know that when something special comes along don't expect it will be in production forever. I've owned pedals that I just knew were magnificent yet, when they finally gave up the ghost, found they were no longer in production. To add insult to injury I found that used versions of many of my favorites were price from 50% to as much as 400% or 500% more than what I paid for them brand new. Depending on how many were actually made of a specific model or version X when the masses finally realized how good they were, (during or after production), pedals like the Tim, Klon, etc. can gain so much in value that a player wanting to replace one they bought new can't afford to. Some of these pedals become investments rather than guitar tonal effects. Example .... my Korg SDD-3000 Pedal, (Delay), was originally purchased brand new for just under $300.00. I knew after the first month of owner ship that I had scored big time, but ... I had no idea at the time that they would only be in production for a year or two. Mine is still in perfect shape but I wanted to buy a second one for one of my other pedal boards a few years back and found them out of production with used models selling for $450.00 t0 $550.00 in fair to good condition and models in "like new" condition ranging between $800.00 and $1200.00. I was floored. What the ****! I took this badly because when I find something that's me I want it to be around for my use as long as I'm alive. I'm not interested in the latest and greatest or something similar in clone form. I take these effects seriously.

Since that time I've, when funds are available, purchased seconds or even thirds of effect pedals I want to have at my disposal until I'm in my grave. To some this will sound extreme but, I work hard on mastering these very special pedals and never want to have to replace them with something that takes me back to square one or doesn't truly deliver the tone of the original. SO far I've doubled or tripled up on ........

A/DA Flanger. The finest, in my opinion, Flanger ever made.
JAM Pedals Wahcko Wah. The finist, in my opinion, Wah Wah ever made.
Mr. Black Eterna Gold Modified. The best dedicated shimmer effect I've ever found. The voice of an angelic choir. Rather than just part of a reverb pedal a truly dedicated shimmer effect pedal.
Mad Professor Hand Wired Tiny Orange Phaser. I've loved phasers since they first became available and the Hand Wired Tiny Orange Phaser from Mad Professor is, in my opinion, the finest ever made.

I still have a few I need to double up on but it's not always easy. For example .... to get an identical brand new version of my original Tiny Orange Phaser it took 2 1/2 years of looking all across the internet before I found a mom and pop store in Pensylvania that had an NOS model in stock.

Does anyone here understand were I'm coming from?
I know what I love. I don't want to go through anymore learning curves. Maybe there are new pedals that equal or beat what I'm looking for, (although I doubt it). I don't care. I want what I love on my pedal board forever.
I keep my pedals at waist height to protect them
never stepping on them, for exactly the reason that I don't want to to have them break and only to find out the pedals are no longer available and that the existing originals are priced like treasure, at several time the cost of the original.
Josh Scott of JHS pedals has been helpful at pointing out new pedals that will duplicate the sound of the old pedals and not at collector prices.

The Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster fortunately has started to be manufactured again for example However there are several Treble boost pedals available that will do as much and more than the 1965 Dallas Rangemaster,

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
I've been around long enough to know that when something special comes along don't expect it will be in production forever. I've owned pedals that I just knew were magnificent yet, when they finally gave up the ghost, found they were no longer in production. To add insult to injury I found that used versions of many of my favorites were price from 50% to as much as 400% or 500% more than what I paid for them brand new. Depending on how many were actually made of a specific model or version X when the masses finally realized how good they were, (during or after production), pedals like the Tim, Klon, etc. can gain so much in value that a player wanting to replace one they bought new can't afford to. Some of these pedals become investments rather than guitar tonal effects. Example .... my Korg SDD-3000 Pedal, (Delay), was originally purchased brand new for just under $300.00. I knew after the first month of owner ship that I had scored big time, but ... I had no idea at the time that they would only be in production for a year or two. Mine is still in perfect shape but I wanted to buy a second one for one of my other pedal boards a few years back and found them out of production with used models selling for $450.00 t0 $550.00 in fair to good condition and models in "like new" condition ranging between $800.00 and $1200.00. I was floored. What the ****! I took this badly because when I find something that's me I want it to be around for my use as long as I'm alive. I'm not interested in the latest and greatest or something similar in clone form. I take these effects seriously.

Since that time I've, when funds are available, purchased seconds or even thirds of effect pedals I want to have at my disposal until I'm in my grave. To some this will sound extreme but, I work hard on mastering these very special pedals and never want to have to replace them with something that takes me back to square one or doesn't truly deliver the tone of the original. SO far I've doubled or tripled up on ........

A/DA Flanger. The finest, in my opinion, Flanger ever made.
JAM Pedals Wahcko Wah. The finist, in my opinion, Wah Wah ever made.
Mr. Black Eterna Gold Modified. The best dedicated shimmer effect I've ever found. The voice of an angelic choir. Rather than just part of a reverb pedal a truly dedicated shimmer effect pedal.
Mad Professor Hand Wired Tiny Orange Phaser. I've loved phasers since they first became available and the Hand Wired Tiny Orange Phaser from Mad Professor is, in my opinion, the finest ever made.

I still have a few I need to double up on but it's not always easy. For example .... to get an identical brand new version of my original Tiny Orange Phaser it took 2 1/2 years of looking all across the internet before I found a mom and pop store in Pensylvania that had an NOS model in stock.

Does anyone here understand were I'm coming from?
I know what I love. I don't want to go through anymore learning curves. Maybe there are new pedals that equal or beat what I'm looking for, (although I doubt it). I don't care. I want what I love on my pedal board forever.
I do. I would really love to have another Barber Small Fry, Tone Press and Direct Drive. But now the originals are becoming expensive, and I'd rather not have compact versions, as you *always* lose something in those. The presence control in the DD, the trim pot in the Tone Press, and the Small Fry is out of production, leaving the compact Burn Unit as a close second. I have vero layouts for all of these, and will eventually build copies of all of them.

I have two Blues Breaker clones (pedal, not amp) and I *had* an OD-3 spare, which has disappeared. I have done a trade with TDPRI user Lies and Distortion for an OD-3, and in the process came to understand those are now SMD, which means I can do the mod to those that makes such a great pedal PERFECT.

My Chase Tone Secret Preamp, I suppose I'd better buy one while I can. Freaking unbelievable device, but I don't expect those to be around for a long time.

So yes, I understand.

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Bearing in mind that holmfirthnj is 122 then I'd say arlum is looking good for a while yet! Playing guitar clearly brings longevity - and an eternal quest for tone/gear
Blimey, I didn’t realise I was that old!

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
All things must pass. I don't buy backups. If something fails and I can't replace it, I'll do without or get to try new things. My old, first gen Fulltone Supa Trem has chosen a particularly mean time to become unreliable. I like that thing, the speed and hard/soft buttons, the big radio knobs. I may find someone to fix it, but if I can't, I'll get something else. I don't like to cling too hard to any particular things.
Bad luck on the timing- I had been pondering buying a back up for my Supa Trem but not at the current prices 😐

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, I've had similar experiences with pedals being discontinued and used ones becoming too expensive. The Klon for example, but I don't want to open that can of worms. Anyway, I've gotten doubles of a few of my favorite pedals that I use a lot just in case. Boss Slow Gear SG-1, Boss Chorus CE-2, Keeley Compressor (2 knob), Boss Blues Driver BD-2 and Ibañez AD-9 Analog Delay.

View attachment 1033528

I had to look up the Slow Gear, you have a small fortune there! I looked them up on Reverb and they are selling for between 500 and 1300 with and average of around 650!

I have a Maxon Rotary Phaser that is love to have another of but they are selling for 500 a piece so that's a no go.