Doubling, Tripling Up On Your Favorite Pedals

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I've been around long enough to know that when something special comes along don't expect it will be in production forever. I've owned pedals that I just knew were magnificent yet, when they finally gave up the ghost, found they were no longer in production. To add insult to injury I found that used versions of many of my favorites were price from 50% to as much as 400% or 500% more than what I paid for them brand new. Depending on how many were actually made of a specific model or version X when the masses finally realized how good they were, (during or after production), pedals like the Tim, Klon, etc. can gain so much in value that a player wanting to replace one they bought new can't afford to. Some of these pedals become investments rather than guitar tonal effects. Example .... my Korg SDD-3000 Pedal, (Delay), was originally purchased brand new for just under $300.00. I knew after the first month of owner ship that I had scored big time, but ... I had no idea at the time that they would only be in production for a year or two. Mine is still in perfect shape but I wanted to buy a second one for one of my other pedal boards a few years back and found them out of production with used models selling for $450.00 t0 $550.00 in fair to good condition and models in "like new" condition ranging between $800.00 and $1200.00. I was floored. What the ****! I took this badly because when I find something that's me I want it to be around for my use as long as I'm alive. I'm not interested in the latest and greatest or something similar in clone form. I take these effects seriously.

Since that time I've, when funds are available, purchased seconds or even thirds of effect pedals I want to have at my disposal until I'm in my grave. To some this will sound extreme but, I work hard on mastering these very special pedals and never want to have to replace them with something that takes me back to square one or doesn't truly deliver the tone of the original. SO far I've doubled or tripled up on ........

A/DA Flanger. The finest, in my opinion, Flanger ever made.
JAM Pedals Wahcko Wah. The finist, in my opinion, Wah Wah ever made.
Mr. Black Eterna Gold Modified. The best dedicated shimmer effect I've ever found. The voice of an angelic choir. Rather than just part of a reverb pedal a truly dedicated shimmer effect pedal.
Mad Professor Hand Wired Tiny Orange Phaser. I've loved phasers since they first became available and the Hand Wired Tiny Orange Phaser from Mad Professor is, in my opinion, the finest ever made.

I still have a few I need to double up on but it's not always easy. For example .... to get an identical brand new version of my original Tiny Orange Phaser it took 2 1/2 years of looking all across the internet before I found a mom and pop store in Pensylvania that had an NOS model in stock.

Does anyone here understand were I'm coming from?
I know what I love. I don't want to go through anymore learning curves. Maybe there are new pedals that equal or beat what I'm looking for, (although I doubt it). I don't care. I want what I love on my pedal board forever.

andy__d

Tele-Meister
I bought a color sound wah dirt cheap (35 GBP, if I remember correctly) from a store that was getting rid of excess stock sometime around 1990. It died after about 15 years of hard wear. Now they cost a small fortune second hand, and a cry baby just doesn’t do it for me. I wish I’d bought every one they had in the store…

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
Still in my collection, not counting stuff I cycled out over the years

Ages ago - Two Tech 21 Comptortion pedals - four Digitech Crossroads pedals (I have posted many times about these- much maligned on the internet) - Two Digitech CM2 pedals - Two Sansamp2 pedals - Three Digitech DF7 Distortion - Two Zoom G3

More recently - Two Mosky spring reverb pedals - Two Pigtronix Disnortion Pedals - Two Joyo Splinter pedals - 4 each of the Horse brand TaiChi/Tauren/Zip Amp/Uzi/California Sound/British sound (They were 12 bucks - I literally gave 2 sets away as gifts) - Two Saphu Analog Delay and Chorus (each) - Two Donner Yellow Fall Delays - 2 Ymuze TS clones (handwired) - 2 Flamma FS07 - Multiple ABY and Loop switching pedals by EX - crazy cheap for routing and very clean - Multiple Mosky/Ymuze Pure Buffer pedals

Planning to buy a second Amp Academy and Mooer RADAR.
Possibly a second:
Bogner La Grange
Hotone Ampero II
Caline Crazy Cacti

When the used price of the Vox Nutube pedals drop through the floor, I will buy as many as I can afford at the time. Some day the guitar playing world will realize what they missed.

Just decided, gonna buy the Bogner while I can still get one new..... yup

Last edited:

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
I have/am trying to fight a similar inclination to buy duplicates. I have four pedals that I completely love and would want to replace if anything happened to them. Other pedals, I’d be happy to try something different. In trying to fight the instinct to buy a duplicate (just in case!) I’ve rationalised it as, given my age and the general reliability of pedals, they’ll probably outlive me. If by any chance one of them broke and I needed to spend four times the price to replace it, it wouldn’t cost any more than buying duplicates of all four now. Also, after my sad demise, my family wouldn’t be wondering why I had collected all these duplicate ‘switches’ (as they call them).
All that said, a few weeks ago I could have picked up a spare of one of my pedals for not very much, but now the manufacturer has decided to stop making pedals, and they are suddenly super-desirable, and I’m stalking them across the internet… so I kind of think ‘buy it when you see it’ is a good strategy too.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I get it. I have have two examples of a few pedals. Sometimes to have a backup, sometimes both are on my board with different settings. There are quite a few dirt pedals I enjoy for low and high gain.

Lies&Distortion

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a second EPH-3 delay when they were $50 from a Lovepedal sale.
Not because "it's vital to my sound", but because it was a good deal. Was going to gift it to someone but they didn't seem interested. I use one of them regularly tho

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a Nocture Brain Seltzer and traded it for an Atomic Brain.
Since then I acquired a Mystery Brain which has that circuit, but I still have the Atomic Brain.

Also I have the Nocturne Jr Barnyard despite having acquired an El Pescadoro, which includes THAT circuit plus the coolest Chess-era sounding reverb

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I only have dupes of the Mesa Boogie VTwin. For some reason I thought one might break. Good Lord, they are built like a 5ank!!

I wish I could afford another Maxon Rotary Phaser but they are crazy expensive. Here's a review from Caitlinbread (sp), a competitor of Maxon:

Maxon PH-350 Rotary Phaser​

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
All the more reason to learn to build them. You end up with a cost effective way to try vintage effects, and if you ever find something you like you can build more.

Also agree with you about the A/DA flanger being special. It's pretty great. Have you heard the mutron flanger? Also very special.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I am actually selling my entire pedal collection that I have built up over the past 12 years and going with a multi-effects unit. Leaning heavily towards the BOSS GT-1000. :eek:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
oh yeah I've got two of these
1663671378323.png

I've since moved on (currently using Neural DSP Quad Cortex) but this one's very good, and at one time it seemed sensible to have a backup

scottser

Friend of Leo's
nah. i don't have golden ears and i don't have any pedals that i couldn't pick up again for 50 bucks.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I've done it a couple of times. Two Tech21 BassDIs (not Bass Driver) which sound amazing with my baritone and have been out of production for 10-15 years or something. I also picked up a second Ibanez LF-7 for about 5x what I'd paid for the first one at a flea market. Both of these things I also wanted to be able to run in stereo, but the idea of a spare is part of what made me give up the cash.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a spare for a reverb that was recently discontinued and a specific high-voltage tube device that I happen to know is astounding and has been out of production for at least 15 years. I'm not naming names. You vultures have to find your own magic boxes!

Oh, and I once found the most comfortable pair of shoes I'd ever tried at a warehouse of discontinued shoes. I went back and bought the second pair they had in my size. I got compliments on them all the time, too. I've spent the rest of my life chasing that shoe-high.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Hmmm... I guess I should have bought more than one Klon when I got mine for $400 in ages past, when they were new. But no -- I don't double up. I have a phobia against accumulating stuff, and I also avoid major dependence on any particular piece of gear.