Double P90's and a string-through.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Booman, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

Obviously a rookie question. Planning a 1st build. Can the standard string through alignment accept the double P90? Obviously the standard tele bridge plate is out. Is it more common to top load a beast like this?:confused:

2. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

You could use a hardtail Strat bridge, or there are a few others that would work too... Have a look on Stew Mac's website for other options... Would be a really cool set up I reckon...

3. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Howdy,

For the more traditional tele style you can go with the glendale 1/2 plate tele bridge http://www.glendaleguitars.com/halfplate__tonering.htm (big bucks).

Taipan tone makes one too http://www.taipantone.com/pages/half%20bridge%20T.html

So does Wilkinson (all over ebay). Those would all use the (more or less) standard string through holes. Of course you can hack off the pickup part of a regular one with a dremel... :idea:

There are also a ton of hardtail strat bridges all over ebay, both top loader and string through. Many of which can be had for < $20. Just search for hard tail in the Musical Instruments > Guitar > Parts & Accessories > Guitar Parts > Bridges section. Lots of good ideas there.

I'm doing a string-through one with a strat like bridge.

4. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

Thanks so much mkhhunt! Great info.

Boo

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

When you say "build" does that mean you are drilling the string through holes and the mounting screw holes yourself? If so, all the options are available of course. But if you're using a predrilled body, note that both the string spacing and location of mounting holes will vary depending on type, in which case you will have to figure out a match and might be limited in your choices.

My Tele Jr, which is 2 P90 string through, for example takes a modern hard tail strat bridge, the vintage type Glendale half plate won't fit it.

6. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

Thanks stevieboy, I will have the body (Mahogany) cut and drilled with standard Tele string-through tolerances then find out what fits. I figured a hardtail strat bridge might be the way to go. It seems like all the 2-P90 teles I've seen have what looks to be a strat hardtail bridge. Thanks for the heads up on the Glendale. Nice Tele Jr you have there. Does it have a "round butt" at the output jack or flat? I can't quite tell from the pic. I have to decide on round or flat for the CNC program.

Thanks again,

mark

7. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Hi Mark,

A toploader would solve all your placement problems - no string through drilling.

Cheers,

Murray

ps. If I'd gone that way I wouldn't have needed - just wanted - a drill press. But then tools are like guitars, they're all different and one can never have too many :D

8. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

I just finished this guitar a couple of weeks ago, it was my first build. P-90s in a thinline. Sounds like yours will be simaler.

[​IMG]

It has a recessed tune-o-matic, not much taller, if at all, than a fixed bridge. Those are P-90s, despite the wood covers, they're the same size and shape. And yes, you should be able to string through a body on a regular fixed strat style bridge. But I'd suggest posing this question to whoever is building your body. If you're cutting and routing it yourself, then you should ask yourself. But suffice to say, I've seen it done before.

The link to the thread has more fun pics and info.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/145855-double-f-hole-bubinga-topped-thinline-done.html

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Strat hardtail with 2 P90's. The first one is string thru and the second is a top loader.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only issue I had was string spacing. The Strat bridges had a slightly narrower spacing than the pickups. So you have to be extra careful to get the strings and poles lined up just right.

10. scottb

scottb TDPRI Member

My avatar shows how I did it with a bridge from guitarfetish (I think, it could've been Stew-Mac)

But of course I used p90s in humbucker cases from guitar fetish

Attached Files:

11. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Tele-Meister

Booman ,I find the Hipshot hardtail bridge to be a very good one for guitars such as this.The P90 poles line up well with the string spacing.They can be had in 2 plate thicknesses ,and the saddles and screws are SS. Oh yeah,they sound as good as they look.
    good luck on your build

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.