1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Double Overdrives

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GuitarsBuicks, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Big fan, as i like a tiny pedalboard and you use only one power input and often it is a smaller footprint than the same two pedals stacked with jacks. Especially the ones where you can determine the stacking order with a switch are extremely versatile and fun.
    Con- You have to find the perfect one, often you will like one side better than the other.

2. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Always liked the Les Luis, but I ended up building a Tweed Princeton for that sound instead. Bit of an expensive alternative mind you haha

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

On a whim I bought an Old Blood Noise Endeavor’s-Fault the other day used at my local GC. It sucked through the Fender but the Peavey 6505MH/Class112 roared! I still don’t think it’s for me. Overall I’d rather have single pedals to mix and match but that’s just me.

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I tend to be in the middle between having separate overdrives to get the sound I want (EHX Hot Tubes(Overdrive set to 1:30 or so) between the two sides of a Route 66 into as SRRI), and what is practical to take on a gig. I don't use an actual pedal board, I usually just put them on the ground somewhere between my amp and where I am standing and hope my cord doesn't drag them too far out of line. For a long time all I had was the Hot Tubes and I couldn't get everything I needed from it. As a Matter of fact it I have almost completely retired it from my gigging board because it has a tendency to be extra hissy and annoying.

5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Treble booster into muff fuzz=gritty distortion with girth!

loopfinding likes this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

for sure. the tendency to copy amp style tone knobs to cut treble is wrong and we’ve been doing it wrong for 50 years. They’re absolutely useless on most gain pedals (I thought I was trying to add upper harmonics??). but a pre-gain bass cut, that’s the secret to unlocking any gain pedal.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

V3 Route 66 has both a bass and treble knob as well as a clean mix knob on both sides. Makes it a nice set and forget...until you go from a vintage tele to a Humbucker and you forgot to turn the volume down. Then the front row all has to go buy wigs and fake eyebrows.

Festofish likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

The idea of a double overdrive or a double delay makes a lot of sense and should be awesome. I'm old fashioned and I think I just like to stack overdrives separately. It's nice to drop in something new every now and then and enjoy the difference.

Festofish likes this.
  9. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Rat Deucetone anyone?

10. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

yes

I currently own these

Snouse Blackbox Duo - new to me, still figuring it out. appears it wil be excellent
    VS Audio Royal Flush - awesome
    TRex Moller - very, very good

i have also owned

VS Jekyll & Hyde - liked both sides - would have preferred the TS in front of the Shredmaster
    Fredrick King of Klon - really very good; sold to fund something else

they are typically smaller than 2 pedals, esp as you don't have to put a patch cable in the middle; they only take up 1 spot on the power supply

IMG_20210121_210040776.jpg

11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

The right bass-cut is the key to some heavenly crunch and notes that really cut through the mix. My Yamaha Revstar has a bass-cut switch that came stock. I’ve replaced the pups with a 498/490 set. The bass cut combined with the 498 is excellent for any crunch tone I want.

loopfinding likes this.
  12. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

At the moment my pedalboard is Tuner-->Z-Drive-->Delay. Good sounds from the Z-Drive, no doubt. And, yes, the 3-band eq lets you shape the voice just the way you want.

bigben55 likes this.
  13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Another newer, unique dual OD that i wanna try is the Wilson Effects Angry Goat. Its a Dumble type(his Lotus drive) one one side, and his Klon clioe on the other, with the Klone stacking into the Lotus. Basically a Zendrive and a Klon. Wilson Effects are awesome, ive had 5, still have 2, a wah and a univibe. I just got away from fuzz, but he does killer fuzzes if thats your thing.

snottyboy likes this.
  14. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Mosky XP into a Timmy...

What is the amp/guitar you're using?

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Another really good one is the Xotic AC Plus, especially both sides stacked.

16. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Not easy to find but I like the Barber Direct Drive Dual Channel (DD/DC).

1/2 Gainer is really good too, works the same way, but the DD/DC offers more gain.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Wampler Dual Fusion that does everything I need stacked overdrives to do.

Years ago I had a Way Huge Camel Toe that sounded really great, until a pal made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and sold it. Those originals are commanding stupid money these days. I think Dunlop owns Way Huge now and they have a few modern versions out.

18. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

This has blown my mind, though honestly it doesn't really count as dual overdrive since the two sides run in parallel rather than in series. It sounds bonkers good though, and you can mix clean signal back into the output stage!

19. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

For Fender amp overdrive, I often run my elMo or TS808HW overdrives into my Wampler Black 65 OD pedal.

The Black ‘65 adds bass, openness, and smooths the tone of the two TS type pedals. SRV tone at most any volume.

D437F67E-9CC4-4078-9958-14CC759E9AFB.jpeg

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I had a King of Tone for a while, but the two sides were too similar. You can fool around with the switches inside, but still.

Now I have three separate overdrives in a row, and they all have different jobs: boost, presence (on all the time), and hair.

I have much better luck than I had with the King of Tone, even though it was a truly magnificent pedal. Silver lining: I made over $100 when I sold it, hee-hee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.