1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Double Overdrives

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GuitarsBuicks, Jan 20, 2021.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Danelectro made 2 in their Wasabi series, a distortion and overdrive (that's what they were called anyway), a friend of mine used the OD (which was an OD/Boost pedal, I think) on his board, with Blues Driver at the end of his chain as a final goose. I really liked the Silver one (the OD/Boost) but the dark colored one, the distortion, had way more gain than I liked.

I also have a VS Route 66, which is a compressor and TS Clone, but I spent an hour dialing it in and discovered it made almost the exact same tones as my Rivera did with it's functions engaged, so I don't use it much.

If you're willing to accept an OD/Boost pedal, there's also the MXR/CAE drive/boost pedal, and probably lots of others..

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

The Keeley Workstation is my recent favorite. You get a Katana Boost, a 1962 blues breaker style od and a Oxblood Klon clone together with 8 types of modulations. It’s discontinued but can be found used for a decent price. Great pedal for Deluxe’s and Princeton’s A9AFACC9-89B8-4515-AEEF-A5B1F8352D81.jpeg

BigBillow likes this.
  3. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Menatone fish factory gets my vote.

sanfi4u likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too bad it wasn’t Mod-Delay-Chorus.

For my admittedly idiosyncratic needs that would have hit the spot.

5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I just got on analogmans list. Better late than never?!

tah1962 likes this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I was very lucky, I got mine in mint condition from a seller on Reverb for less than $400. At that price I knew if I didn’t like it I could turn it for a profit. That made it worth the risk and not getting on the 3 year waitlist. Hopefully they will catch up and shorten your wait. Cheers!

7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

3 years? Lol. Oh well, makes sense. I'm pretty happy with my board, otherwise I'd probably consider doing reverb.

Interestingly, I tried a couple of BB style pedals that didn't stick around. I'm running Maxon od9 into Turbo rat, into distortron (plexi style).

Getting killer tones. Throw some Keely comp on early or clean boost post, and it covers a lot of ground really well for what I do,.. sludge rock lol. Cheers!

tah1962 likes this.
  8. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Some additions to the list.
    - Nordvang Trio Series: '83 Drive, Gravity, Wingman
    - Kingsley Jouster
    All of them are high quality dual overdrives. Don't forget to check them out.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I'm not a fan of double over drive pedals. The only kinds I like have a flat boost function. I think it's more interesting to stack overdrives rather than have a pedal that stacks for you. I discovered some cool sounds running my Boss OD1-X into my SD-1.

10. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Barber 1/2 Gainer. Its an awesome pedal, but I think I would rather have (2) separate pedals.

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

7520BE05-857B-4B86-8600-47801CF4ECBD.jpeg
    I actually like the idea of “dually” overdrive/distortion pedals. Currently I have two on my board and they perform two different functions.

The Jackson Audio Broken Arrow is basically a TS style pedal with four different gain structures and four levels of gain boost within all that. It also has an independent gain boost with four different types of boost and also a knob to control the level. I use it on just the rhythm side to play the slower songs in our set list. I’ll kick on the boost side, which I set up more for a gain boost than a volume boost, to play stuff like the Stones and the other classic rock tunes we do.

The Wampler Pinnacle is a beast of a pedal. So much versatility and it allows my vintage style Strats and Tele to easily cover the heavier 80’s radio rock tunes. It also does some very nice Stratty grit on the lower gain settings. I could probably get by with just this pedal alone for my drive needs. But I like a little variety so I don’t get bored with my tone.

The GMD Luther drive is an 808 with added treble. I use that as a global boost or on it’s own. Again for some variety.

I also own an Exotic BB+ which is another great dually TS style pedal but on steroids. It sounds good and cuts through, especially with single coils. I’ll probably build another smaller grab-n-go board around the BB+.

12. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

add this to your list
    Suhr Eclipse... one of the best
    https://www.suhr.com/electronics/pedals/distortion/suhr-eclipse-pedal/

13. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

+1 on the King of Tone. Worth the wait.

14. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I'm 39 months into the King of Tone waiting list so hopefully I'll be getting one this year.

Ive tried a ton of dual ODs and currently favor the Dr.Z Z-Drive. Not many folks have them, and they're not perfect. If you could stack the 2 sides and change stacking order, it would be. Its 2 different sounding drives with an ALL POWERFUL global EQ. It makes a simple single channel amp into a 3 channel amp, seriously. And that 3 band EQ allows you to tweak the amp and speaker EQ to just how you want it. Great under the radar pedal!

I also still use my 1998 FD2, but thats not "really" a dual OD. Its a GREAT OD with a boost that adds gain, but really only sounds great in comp cut mode. That said, NOTHING is better in front of a BF Fender!

15. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I’d rather go for a fuzz in lieu of a second overdrive. But you have to make sure the fuzz plays relatively well with a buffer before it. I find there is a world of stuff from gated to cutting distortion you can add with some boost or active eq.

In something like a fuzz face, you can stick a 10-25k resistor on the input, though there are fuzz faces out there with input series resistance pots (e.g, “smooth” or “sweet” knobs). A TS style drive can really open up an FF in this configuration.

northernguitar likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Me too

In one band, I use two Tube screamers, one is always ON

In the other band, my main band, I use one Tube Screamer always ON (same one 21 years ago) and a Marshall Drive Master stacked for leads

Also had a KOT for many years but I missed the Tube screamer thing

17. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I love mine! Especially the ability to put something between the two sides. It is almost always on for both sides. I'm just looking for something with two overdrives instead of a compressor. Although I wouldn't get rid of the Route 66 for anything. However, having another pedal (or two) with more gain on tap is important too when you are playing everything from Buddy Holly to Brad Paisley and Lynyrd Skynyrd. A double pedal and especially a double overdrive seems to be the most logical option for me as I prefer not to have a lot of power plugs. If I can get two pedals with one power supply I can save room on my power strip or isolated power supply. I ask because sometimes I wonder if there are compromises being made with the pedals contained within...even when you have one of the "better" ones. With the obvious exception of the Route 66 and Jekyll & Hyde, which were always designed as a double pedal (as far as I can find), most are two separate pedals first and later put into a single housing.

18. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Is that what a Fender Pugilist is?

28BFD28C-341B-4CAC-9AFE-951094D423CA.jpeg

19. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I think it is. If I'm not mistaken it's an overdrive/distortion and a boost. Although both are either on or off with that one foot switch.

20. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I'm on the KOT waiting list like most of the other guitar players in the universe, I got a King Of Clone in the mean time from 68 pedals as a stop gap, which is pretty good but I'm not 100% happy with.

I haven't used either of these but I have been toying with the getting one of them to replace the King of Clone:

Ceriatone Horsebreaker- Klon and Bluesbreaker.

Browne Amplification Protein- Bluesbreaker and a Nobels ODR-1

But to be honest I am thinking of moving away from a double OD and instead getting a Bluesbreaker style pedal which is basically my foundation (And there are loooooads to choose from) and then getting a few other mini OD's to stack with it. Tube screamer mini, Nobels ODR mini, Wampler Tummnus and maybe a Timmy mini. Just feel like I can change around a bit easier that way and it still takes up the same amount of room on my board as a double OD in a 1590BB case

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.