1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Double Overdrives

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GuitarsBuicks, Jan 20, 2021.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Okay, so the more research I do the more I notice people talking about the various double overdrives. What is the forum thoughts on this concept?

Some of the more notable ones I have been looking at and researching are as follows:

Wampler Paisley Deluxe
    Wampler Hot Wired
    JHS Double Barrel
    Truetone/VisualSound VS-XO
    JHS Sweet Tea
    King Tone Duellist
    Wampler Dual Fusion
    Dr.Z Z-Drive
    Crowther Double Hotcake
    VisualSound Double trouble
    Analogman King of Tone (all variations)
    Truetone/VisualSound Route 66 (not really a double overdrive but I think it needs to be in this list)

Again just looking for thoughts on double overdrive pedals mainly, although thoughts on double pedals are welcome as well.

doghouseman, tah1962 and stormsedge like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have 3 OD's on my board, I use a switcher to allow using them like a double OD. It's nice to switch from low gain grit to high gain with one push.

For the switching:
    - my main OD I use 80% of the time is the middle switch.
    -With one push I can go to the OD on the left or the one on the right of the center switch.

So yeah, a double OD is useful.

3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’ve tried quite a few of them, many on your list. None of them worked for me. Seems like there’s always some sort of compromise from one channel to the other.

I like the concept of Suhr’s Eclipse: a dual OD that’s basically two of the same circuit in a single enclosure. Unfortunately, it wasn’t for me.

I use a loop switcher with multiple drive pedals and it works way better for me than any dual pedal ever has.

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Cool! I personally run a Route 66, but I'm looking to get something else to put with it and am considering another double pedal, likely a double overdrive. I figured I would put the question out there to see what the rest of the world has to say about double pedals and double overdrives.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I GAS' for the two Wampler ODs you have listed for the longest time...but couldn't get next to the price. Over the course of time, I stopped looking at them, because I had acquired four other OD pedals :eek: (two do two different ODs...so six?) for about the price of one of the Wamplers. I do not foresee a circumstance where I might physically test them side by side against what I have...so, unless a real slash/burn sale happens, I'll not be a proud owner.

6. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Love 2 ODs. One clean, one dirty. Sometimes a third if she's game. Lol! I seriously do like stacking ODs. Gives a lot of options/layers to play around with.

RockinforJesus and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I have been gassing for the original Paisley since I first started researching overdrive pedals. Specifically a V1. I missed my chance. Now they have changed the design. I may yet buy the PD although it will be a long while. The Hotwired on the other hand is quickly loosing its place in my wish list.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

My “dual overdrive“ is actually two overdrives… A Klon clone running into a Les Lius clone. The Les Lius is effectively a dual overdrive in itself, the Klon adds a third gain stage. Both pedals are built by Smokin’ Amp Co.

I’ve had several Klon types... mostly mini pedals and Chinese copies… This current one is the best to date.

The Les Lius has limited controls...just a global volume and tone, but its boost side stacks nicely with its drive side to go from subtle breakup to full-fledged overdrive… Adding the Klon takes it up a notch, depending where the Klon’s Gain knob is set.

The three switchable “tweed” settings on the Les Lius are all very usable sounds.

willholt92 likes this.
  9. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Pretty happy with my Truetone VS-XO, especially the ability to change the stack order.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

More stuff to sell that you cannot live without.

You really need a triple with an extra solo boost to be truly practical... stacking ODs can often just add more compression.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m super fond of the Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive. It’s a dual overdrive. So fond that I bought a second and stacked them.

But surprise! They didn’t stack well. Didn’t gain (excuse the pun) anything.

On the other hand I have a pair of old Vox Valvetone V810 Overdrives that stack together wonderfully. But then they aren’t dual overdrives.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'd generally rather just have the single od, then ram it with either a tubescreamer or compressor.

Dual pedal could be nice if you don't want to have a pedal board.

I'd probably just get the Keeley workstation if I had to start over.

northernguitar likes this.
  13. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve tried several, Wampler Dual Fusion, Mojo Hand FX Odessa, Keely D&M Drive, and the Analogman King of Tone. I don’t see the KOT coming of my board. I have one channel set up as an overdrive, and the other channel set up as a clean boost. It’s the only pedal I’ve found that sounds great with all of my guitars and amps. I usually just have both channels on and use my volume knob to clean things up, or goose it for leads. YMMV.

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Currently ....
    Boss BD-2
    TC Spark Boost (full size version)
    Tech21 Boost/Overdrive.
    But, thinking of putting a Fuzz in place of the Tech21.

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

You might want to add the Truetone/VisualSound Jekyll and Hyde to your list.

That’s the one I’m most interested in having had good experience with the Route 66.

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I've been contemplating a Dirty Duo from ModTone. Left side is their Bohemian OD, right side is the Dallas OD. The price is right (100 bucks) and I think their stuff usually sounds really good. I have their Harmonic Tremor tremolo and love it.

https://www.modtone.net/mt-duo-dirty-duo.html

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  17. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

Have the hot wired and paisley from your list and they both have a lot to offer. Really enjoy the marshallesque side of the hot wired ,the paisley has a lot of neat things going on as well. They both are great for building base tones, add a delay and or an eq or compressor and there are a TON of sonic options to be had. My $.02.....

18. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

King of tone. One side is overdrive, the other is high gain overdrive which I use for solos. With one stomp I can hit both switches and shut one side off and turn the other side on.

19. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I think dual overdrives that are two different circuits that are complimentary are great ... not much for two of the same thing in one box

20. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I love my Rangemaster clone into my Bad Monkey into my dirty Orange.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.