1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Double F Hole, Bubinga Topped Thinline, DONE!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Vol. Knob, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Runn3r

Runn3r Tele-Meister

...love the wooden knobs and p/u covers!

...nice warm colours tele

5. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

Very nice! I'd call those art instead of just guitars. Tell me about the neck on the double.

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

VERY nice!

7. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Wow!!!! :eek:

8. Scott McCray

Scott McCray Tele-Meister

That is just all kinds of beautiful! Outstanding!

Scott

9. steve gibson

steve gibson Tele-Holic

Stunning.

10. XinTX

XinTX Tele-Meister

Outstanding. Makes my effort look like something from Wal Mart.

11. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

Glad you gents approve. This one had to be built. I've had it pictured in my head since the early '90s.

The body is from Warmoth. Mahogany and Bubinga. Double F hole and recessed tune-o-matic bridge. The double F hole kills a wrrantee, and they won't drill contol holes.

All I did for finishing was to wipe it down with Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil three to eight times a day for several days. Then I plolished it with some bees wax and orange wax polish. My plan from the start was to keep it as simple and natural as possible, for better or worse. It was hard to force myself to do this since I was NOT happy with what I saw when I opened the box from Warmoth. The Mahogany was white and the Bubinga was pink!!!!! But, after taking a deep breath and getting to work, I'm very glad I stuck to the plan. The Bubinga has a great shade of reddish orangie brown that looks different in different types of light, and the Mahogany has a light brownish yellow that compliments the top wood.

12. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, didn't know that Warmoth does double-F-hole Teles on custom order - that's why I got my body off Ebay from a different builder:

[​IMG]

Many kinds of wood do indeed look a bit paler, less interesting, before being finished, and specifically oil/wax finishes tend to bring out the color and figuring in the wood (mine is finished with boiled linseed oil, and a pre-mixed oil/wax product) - here's what mine looked like before finishing:

[​IMG]

Do you have pics of yours before finishing?

13. Cosmic

Cosmic TDPRI Member

Beautiful! Gosh, I wish I knew how to do that...Bet it sounds the way it looks, too! Curious choice of bridges (You've made a tele archtop!). I love the wood finish! BUILD THREAD BUILD THREAD! Tell us how you did it!

14. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

The neck is from Larry Karosa. He's not building any right now, according to his ebay store, his son is in the hospital and that has the majority os his attention, and rightfully so. It also appears that his website is down.

If you look on dis-Harmony Central's user reviews, you'll see some brutal comments on his work. I snagged one on ebay for $90 after shipping and ended up sticking it on my '69 Thinline instead. Then I got another one from him for less than $80 after shipping.

The neck I wood is Goncalo Alves, the fingerboard is Indian Rosewood. I was initially worried about the tuner holes, they aren't positioned quite right and my first attampt to put the tuners on was a disaster. But after some tweaking I got them to line up. Other than that, I've not had any negative issues with the neck. Once I bolted it on and filled the slots into the nut, its been trouble free. I've not even had to touch the truss rod. The profile is beefy and the frets are a nice medium jumbo.

15. Douglas Ingram

Douglas Ingram Tele-Meister

That's real tasty, like good chocolate.

16. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Beautiful! I always wanted to try a Karosa neck, he makes some awesome pieces. Hope his son is OK and he's able to get back to building again one day.

17. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

Yes it does.

Unplugged, its loud for an electric, very resonant and vibrant. But it is semi hollow, however louder than my MIJ '69 Thinline RI.

Plugged in... I used over the weekend at band practice. To give you an idea of what my needs were... I play in a cover band, among the songs we do were "Truckin" but the Grateful Dead, "Surrender" and "I want you to want Me" by Cheap Trick, "Ballroom Blitz" by the Sweet, "Oobla Di oobla da" and a punk-rock style "Let it be" by the beatles, and "Rock this Town" by the stray cats. Plugged into a Vox Tonelab SE, dialed in as Plexi with a trebble booster, no other effects. Gritty natural drive that cleaned up as you roll the volume back... This guitar excells. Those P-90s just bloom with sound as you even gently touch the strings. Great lower mids without being too woofy and overpowering. Still plenty of clear highs. Really smooth. Me happy boy.

Its frickin easy. I just wiped it down 3 to 8 times a day with Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil. I lost count of how many coats, but somewhere between 20 and 40. Hit it with some steel wool after letting it sit in a warm dry basement for two days, wipped it down with some bees wax and orange polish, then bolted it together and wired it up. I got lucky, very few unexpected suprises and weird issues. Though on a latter post I'll bust myself on some stupid and bone headed things I did wrong.

Its a flat-top. Warmoth doesnt make a carved top or arched top Tele style. USA Custom, however, does. The bridge is a recessed Tune-o-Matic. Warmoth does it for $15. If you get your bridge from them too, they'll set the post screws in for an extra $10. All in all, this guitar came in waaaay under budget. More on that in another post....

18. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    That looks absolutely fantastic.

19. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

The Double F Hole is one that you have to ask for. But they won't drill any control holes. Its too easy to accidently crack the top once its all togeher. So when I drilled the holes, I started with the smallest bit I had, the the next largest, then the next, until I got all the way to the size I needed. I also tried to keep the largest hole (toggle) as far from the hole as possable and near the side. Hence the funky location of my toggle.

yes I do. So totally not what I expected. But, again, I'm extremely pleased with the end results. Even though the Mahogany only changed to a light golden brown, its a shade of light golden brown that looks purdy. I want an entire guitar, top and all, made from the same stuff. I think someone said it might be "Sapwood".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Really nice! Love that natural wood look ... I'm missing the part where you tell about the pickups? What kind; did they come with the wood covers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.