Double cut thinline tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bamboofrog, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Hi all

I have always had a hankering for a thinline tele so I thought I would have a go.

First I needed some wood. A while back when I first thought about building my own guitar I bought a piece of Korina and cut out a tele shape, but it was a bit too thick but while trying to thickness it my router bit slipped down in the collet and so instead of taking a 1/4" off, it gouged a meaty chunk out the neck area. So at the time I gave up and threw it into a corner.

I dug it out yesterday and thicknessed it down a bit more with an electric planer to get rid of the gouge. I then flipped the tele template over and made something a bit different, a double cut tele.

[​IMG]

I then routed some chambers and glued on a 1/4" Myrtlewood burl cap, voila! thinline double cut tele.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking about adding a traditional f-hole, but I like the symmetry of the topwood. I am undecided about hardware yet. I am thinking about twin
    p90s.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the neck pocket. Any suggestions?

I suppose what I meant is that if I rout the neck in the traditional tele manner, there is not a lot of wood left on either side to support the neck. Unless perhaps I rout a little further into the body, towards the bridge. Hmmmm :confused:

2. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

I think twin P-90s, a TOM and adding a refinforcement via two horizontal screws located in the pocket of the neck pickup.

3. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Definitely twin p90s, I like the idea of the ToM, not sure how to do the neck angle. Do you mean 2 horizontal screws on either side to reinforce the pocket?

4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I dont think you need to do anything special to reinforce the neck pocket area; unless your planning to use it as a club. There are a lot of double cut, bolt on neck guitars in the market, and they seem to do OK.

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Very cool.

6. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Very cool! I like that shape a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about the neck reinforcement; the bolts give it more than enough strength.

Cheers!

7. iansmitchell

Nope, horizontal going through the neck pickup route pointed toward the nut. Basically, another point of metal connection of the body and neck, and in effect an extension to the neck.

8. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Started a bit of work on the neck. Korina neck with Mac Ebony fretboard (24.75" Scale). Installed the trussrod, gonna glue down the fretboard tonight and then hopefully do a bit more work on it tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking about a wraparound bridge like the the tele-sonic.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  9. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

The fret board glued on well. No fret rattle this time:D

I have been thinking about which bridge to use, I am not sure about using a ToM or wraparound bridge due to the neck angle required.

Seen this one at WD music that looks pretty nicehttp://www.wdmusic.com/fixed_bridge_humbucker_black.html, similar looking to the hipshot hardtail bridge. Any suggestions or ideas for bridge options would be great

10. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Right got on with the neck this afternoon, starting to look a bit more tele like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have noticed a small split in the fret board near the nut and it extends slightly into the first fret, not sure how it happened but I presume it was a weak point. Would a drop of superglue be a good idea to bond this and potentially prevent further splitting?

11. iansmitchell

Recessed TOM.
    Route the body for it, neck angle is less of a problem.
    That, or shim the neck pocket.

12. Gascat

Gascat TDPRI Member

G'day Bamboofrog,

I just happen to be doing one also!

I'm also concerned about the look of a bolt on neck but not so much about strength. I just think looking at the whole neck join from the top would be a bit weired.

I'm thinking about a set neck. I'll watch with interest to see how you go.

cheers...Wayne

Attached Files:

13. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Very nice, good luck with the build.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.