Double Cut build (video content)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by brandonh, Jul 26, 2019.

1. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

I had enough fun building my first guitar that I've decided to start my second build, a double cut thing. The general design is derivative of Gibson and Collings junior models: wraparound bridge, single P-90, no binding, etc. The plan is to build some skills here and tackle a Lester in a guitar or two.

I'm teaching myself to make videos, so that's how I'm planning to document the build. Here's my first, going from electrons to plans to parts on a table.

Designing on screen really helped me get my head around the neck angle geometry. I settled on 2.5 degrees to get me where I want to be with my bridge height, nut, and desired action. I'm going to scarf the peghead at 17 degrees. The measurements and placements are specific to the parts on hand that I'm using for the build. Everything printed out well when I went to the copy center. The only surprises were a misplaced center for one of the bridge anchors and a mis-measured truss rod cavity length. Easy fixes, and I'm only out a few bucks and 10 minutes to get new prints made.

I'm using walnut for the neck and body. The wood is leftover from my dining room table and a recent stereo stand. The body wood is just a shade over 1.25-inches thick. I think the two areas where this will give me trouble are the jack hole and the neck pocket. I did a test drill on scrap walnut and got a 7/8" hole dead center using my brace and bits, so maybe not a problem after all. SGs are pretty thin so I borrowed some ideas from their design for my neck joint. Maybe the thickness won't be a problem, after all.

Here are the parts I'm using. All hardware is nickel.
    • Hipshot tuners
    • Graphtech nut
    • LMII truss rod
    • LMII pre-slotted fretboard, 24.625" scale, 22 frets, ebony
    • Wolftone Meaner P-90 pickup
    • Mojoaxe compensated wraparound bridge with Tonepros studs
    • Schaller strap locks
    • The only thing I haven't decided is material for pickguard

All for now...

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9254.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

I want a big ole printer now lol

brandonh likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Looks cool. Glad the wheel has been reinvented.

brandonh likes this.
  4. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Update #2: Prep work

I got a little bit done in the past week. I'm happy with how the scarf joint came together. I had it in my mind that it would be harder to figure out. It just came out of clamps and will need a little cleanup on the glue squeeze out and some leveling (I kept the peghead piece a little proud so I can flush it up before I do the truss rod slot).

I'm having a lot of fun with this little project!

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

cool, nice video

I love the double cut design. It's the most tele-like Gibson!

brandonh likes this.
  6. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Is that AutoCAD?

7. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

It’s an old version of Adobe Illustrator (CS4).

8. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

It looks just like what I've been looking for. Inkscape and other 2d drawing tools I've tried recently aren't doing it for me. Seems like I had far better options 20 years ago!

9. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

I'm playing around with the shapes in the real world to gauge their potential. On the body, I feel like I either need to widen the waist curves or bring in the hips.

I don't like the bottom left quadrant of the pickguard. I think the belly-into-leg curve doesn't look quite right, and some of the screw holes need shifting around.
    DCrough1.jpg
    I was thinking of leaving the pickguard off entirely, but the grain isn't that compelling and I want to hide the tenon/neck pocket. I'm still deciding what material I want to use here.
    DCrough2.jpg

Arch Stanton, PingGuo, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You COULD do the neck tenon from the back like a Ricky,never show from the front :twisted:

11. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Another Friday, another update. In this installment, I shape the neck. One disclaimer: In the video I test place the truss rod in the slot, only upside down. I didn't actually install it upside down!

I received a fret press rig and a few cauls in the mail today. I hope to put them to use this weekend.

I thought about Dave's idea to do a Ric neck pocket all week, was pretty tempted, but finally chickened out. I still haven't decided if I want to angle the neck pocket or the tenon. I was initially thinking of tapering the tenon. My hope is to do a Les Paul style down the road, so part of me says practice by doing an angled neck pocket now. Either way, I've got some scrap lined up for trying things out.

ETA: I realized I had enough material around the scarf joint for a volute, so I left it alone for now. I'm thinking of rolling with it. Belt and suspenders?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Arch Stanton and PingGuo like this.
  12. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

This Dillion DC copy has a nice shape, almost like a Ricky?

Attached Files:

brandonh and fenderchamp like this.
  13. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

love the way you did the taper.

No nonsense. simple, no jigs. no muss no fuss.

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It's from the school of alternative methods not regurgitated repeatedly on the internet..:)

brandonh and PingGuo like this.
  15. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

That is nice. I like how there's a little more neck set into the body. I'm not doing anything to my body blank until I get the neck carved and fretted, so I've got a little longer to think it through. Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks. I'd do it on the band saw, but I don't have one. This is leftovers from the walnut I used for my dining room table legs a few years back. I shaped the legs with the same hand plane, so I knew what to expect. It sure is satisfying to introduce a nice hunk of wood to a sharp tool.

I'm also fairly well attached to my fingers and sufficiently motivated to keep them attached to me.

PingGuo and guitarbuilder like this.
  16. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

It's a rainy morning here, but I stole away to the garage to carve the neck this morning. It is starting to look like a neck now. I'd be remiss if I didn't link to guitarbuilder's excellent tutorial on making a neck, since I'm mostly following him chapter and verse. Thanks Marty!

I am using an LMI pre-slotted pre-radiused fretboard. I was glad to pay for their robots to do the tedious and technical parts. I roughly dimensioned the fretboard to size. I set registration brads and glued the fretboard to the neck blank. I planed the fretboard flush to the neck with my trusty block plane. I carved the neck with a chisel, block plane, and scraper.

I'll let this sit for a few days to see if the wood moves. I'll be happy if I can fine-tune the neck carve, get the frets installed, and get the peghead looking like a peghead in the week ahead; it's going to be a busy one.

PS: Here's my fancy video recording setup: cellphone rests on the peghead of a screwed up Telecaster neck, clamped to my bicycle repair stand.
    IMG_9526.jpeg

guitarbuilder and PingGuo like this.
  17. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

I got the neck shaft smoothed out and the fretboard brought down to final thickness--it was at 0.27 from LMI and I brought it down to .25 to help out the action at the first fret.

This thing is a baseball bat: 0.985 at first fret and 1.035 at 12th. My only other guitar is the Tele I made at .865/.985. That feels just right to me, so I may bring this one down a little more. The DC nut is slightly wider, too: 1.735 vs 1.685. Amazing how a few hundredths of an inch here and there can make a difference.

The pictures show I got the wings glued on the headstock. I guess final shaping the peghead and heel will be up soon. In the meantime, I'll tighten the truss rod for a day or two to see how good my glue up was. The wood hasn't moved after carving it. If it holds fast, I'll probably get to installing the fret wire, too.

IMG_9790.jpeg IMG_9793.jpeg

18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

My favorite gibson style neck was taken from a vintage Goldtop. You can get this cool little tool that is designed for duplicating molding (I think) and copy the exact curve

IMG_1486.JPG IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1488.JPG

I've used those templates on quite a few guitars by now.

brandonh likes this.
  19. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

I'm happy with the week's work: face plate glued down, peghead shaped, tuner holes drilled, frets installed. I wanted to get the frets leveled, beveled, and dressed, but somebody took out our mailbox last night so that took up most of today's shop time.

IMG_9856.jpeg

Arch Stanton and guitarbuilder like this.
  20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You live in Alabama? With the mailbox thing sounds like it lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.