Double Bound Pinecaster "Fuzzy" build

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Arlo, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Raf,

Does that PG have a P90 route or FUll HB route?

2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I guess you're asking about my guitar. That guitar has a tele neck pickup rout, the pickguard shown has a P90 rout. As i mention in my post I've ordered another black PG, this guitar will be a traditional tele set up although other guitars that i build sport a P90/tele set up.

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Just offerin...
    I meant a very small piece kinda like the chrome one not a full PG.

4. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Sorry Stephen2 , I must have got lost along the thread. I am thinking of ordering one of them from Warmoth for the Cherrypicker I am making. Going with a Artec Gold Mini HB in the neck.

5. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Superb.

I hope a video is forth coming :)

6. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I'm a fly fisherman, and off in a very small segment of lunatics that fish bamboo rods. I began hanging around with a couple of bamboo rod makers, by whom I was taught an interesting distinction:

If you bought a blank (think of a neck and a body from Allparts) and parts and did the assembly, you built a rod. If you started with a chunk of bamboo and split, beveled, planed, and glued the strips, finished the blank, and did the assembly, then by God you made a rod.

To this point, I've rebuilt one, built one, and am currently at the stage of having planed the strips but not glued them on my project. I can be called a rodbuilder, but not quite yet a rodmaker. I think that if we employ similar logic to guitars, then you are most certainly a guitar builder. So tell the other guy that I said that makes you cool. :D

7. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Is this the same Todd who emailed me last week? Welcome to the TDPRI it's a great community to be apart of.

The space doesn't bother me really. I think it is very convenient for neck adjustments honestly. Owning over 40 guitars makes it hard to play them all on a regular basis so I find myself doing a lot of neck adjustments as they sit for a long spell.

I am sure that my son will give this one a good workout though.

I would have to let Jason answer this question. I know he is capable of a lot and he is a little swamped but send a PM to him. He is a great guy.

That Pinecaster is gonna be a killer Stephen!

I thought about a thin line guard too. It might be the ticket. Again it's gonna be my boy's choice but that is definitely an idea worth looking into.

I did that with this reclaimed Pine build:

[​IMG]

Mike, if you have some pic or something to show my son please post it here for us? I am not sure what he will think but it will be his choice. Thanks again for your insight and offer. :cool:

That's how I look at it too. Builder suits me fine.

8. stephent2

Thanks Arlo, the pinecaster may be too nice for me, right now it's slated to replace my black tele.

I had considered a black El Dorado PG, but it's too much, the single ply black matches the binding very nicely.

Even though I've built acoustics and electrics from scratch I prefer "guitar builder". There are a few special things I enjoy that are described in French,... Luthier is not one of them.

9. Cyrithicus

Cyrithicus Tele-Afflicted

Man, Arlo!

Are you adopting currently? I need a pine tele

10. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Sweet build Arlo!

11. Taipan

Taipan Tele-Meister

Arlo - One Sweeeet looking tele you build there. Your boy child has his dad's good taste !
    If it was mine son I don't think that I would be letting him take it to his mothers with him. I would tell him that it would have to stay here.....for safe keeping you know:lol:

Jawdawg - Great job on the binding and the finish !!!

Stephent2 - Looks like the making a fine axe there my friend!

12. mrplavick

mrplavick TDPRI Member

Arlo - I've mostly lurked here because for the last few years I set aside guitar for career and child rearing. But my kids are now interested in playing music so I've dragged out my various guitars and set about getting them, and me, in shape to play. I checked into TDPRI and that's where I saw your pine builds and youtube videos. They inspired me to build a pine tele as a project with my kids. I found a pine blank and sent it to USA Custom Guitars for routing. I'm also having them make a neck based on the dimensions and materials of my favorite guitars.

I feel that handing the body and neck construction off to pro craftsmen with the tools and time to do it best doesn't diminish my claim to creation at all. I'll put it together with my choice of electronics, hardware and finish. To me, it's like being the producer of a song - bringing together the songwriter and musicians to create the final product.

So, thanks for the inspiration.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very well said indeed, Mrplavick!

I'm contributing as much as I realistically can to each of these guitars; any more and I'm just stretched too thin. The goal is a truly decent guitar, and contracting components out to the masters increases the likelihood of a desirable result. Which IMHO is essential.

Welcome!

14. dougk

dougk Tele-Holic

Arlo,

Sometimes I'd rather trade wood skills for playing skills ;) But I know how that'd go... I'd finally be happy with my playing then loose a finger at work! LOL

That is gorgeous! Double bound on pine is the only way to go.

15. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Awsome !! Arlo, how did you do the decal for the head stock ?? id love to have one like that for my next build. :) and whats the color called that Ron painted in that one pic ? thats very nice too !!

16. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Great build Arlo, that clear pine looks lovely. I really want one of those bridges for my thinline build but they're just too pricey.

Did you have to level and dress the frets on the Allparts neck?

17. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

The decals I use on my builds were made by a guy in NY. His name is George Charles and his email address is GCharles@hvc.rr.com

He does a great job.

The artwork was taken from the body of my Dan-electro guitar. It was hand painted on the guitar by a pin stripe artist from Austin Texas. Unfortunately I don't remember his name but he was very good at striping a car at a hundred dollars an inch. This was back 86.

What I did was take a digital picture and then photo-shopped it into a usable graphic. It came from a from here:

[​IMG]

After vectoring it it was then used to create my decal and my amp badges.

The paint that Ron Kirn applied to that guitar was a Mary Kaye honey burst.

[​IMG]

I think I had to dress them only. But it was over a year ago when I got the neck and I have done so many since then that it is hard to remember. I think if it had been a lot of fuss I would have remembered. Nothing worse than buying a new neck that needs a LOT of attention. Like I have had with a few of mine.

18. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gorgeous.

Boy, Glendale sure has upgraded their packaging since the last time I bought anything from them.

I miss Fuzzy.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  19. stephent2

Man o' man Arlo. This is slightly spooky (and 'tis the season). Two Pinecasters and now this. I call her Betty but she hasn't found a home yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. kb1rcefn

kb1rcefn Tele-Meister

Arlo, can I ask a "maybe stupid" question?? How/why were you using the soldering gun to install the ferrules?? Does it heat them up so they insert easier?? Or does it "soften" the lacquer around the ferrules to avoid chipping?? I had this happen on a body I finished recently. It turned out beautifully, but as I was taping in the ferrules, the clear coat around a couple of the ferrules "chiped" - very dissapointing!!!! I have just accepted the outcome (don't want to try to get them out, and refinish).
    Please let me know what your procedure does??
    Oh, by the way - absolutely beautiful guitar!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.