Double Bound Partscaster Paint/Assembly

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 650thunderbird, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 650thunderbird

650thunderbird TDPRI Member

Not having suffered enough with my first kit build (Pit Bull T-type), I decided to go ahead with another. This time with all quality components. It should be an easier project as it's a Japanese body, and shouldn't have any delays due to paint drying times thanks to the spring/summer heat. I am assuming (yeah, I know) all pre-drilled holes will be in the correct location, this time. I haven't decided on a colour, or anything else, yet.

Double bound American Alder body:
    [​IMG]

Chunkocaster, netgear69 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  2. bangcaster

bangcaster Tele-Meister

Get a rosewood neck and slap a pickguard on it. It looks great the way it is.

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I'm a sucker for double bound teles and guitars...

The grains are nice for a sunburst.. shame to cover it up with a solid color, but then again, 60's custom car colors are lovely on a tele!!

here are mine!

AVRI62

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Looks great Fiesta red with a rosewood board neck looks cool

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That grain looks too beautiful and perfect to cover up.

Deeve and 650thunderbird like this.
  6. 650thunderbird

I am liking that blue! I was thinking of a translucent finish as I've already done a solid colour and I have a couple of factory bursts (Squier and Monterey) already.
    Good thought, but I have a red Tele with rosewood board.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So many good options for double bound. I like a RW board first & foremost. You can't go wrong past that.

650thunderbird likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I'm a sucker for classic black on a double bound Tele. Use a matching headstock, gold hardware, and a bound ebony board if you dare.

bender66 and 650thunderbird like this.
  9. 650thunderbird

I am somewhat partial to 'em myself, and I am 98% sure that's what will be on this body.

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Do yourself a favor.. since you cannot hear what color it is.. choose one that places the fewest "speed bumps" between now and when ya strike that first chord... make it natural... because you haven't enjoyed the "pleasure" of the cramped fingers as you scrape any color you choose off the binding before starting the clear coats...

r

fenderchamp, Deeve and 650thunderbird like this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those Japan Hosco? bodies are great. Same with the necks.
    I'm getting geared up to refinish one of my double bound 3t sunburst bodies in candy purple using Duplicolor metalcast. Mainly because I have two identical 3t sburst bodies and partly because I just did a non bound body in candy orange/tangerine and have a can of silver metallic ground coat leftover.

Black or ice blue would look cool too. Candy red using metalcast?

I'm going to mask the binding because the body already has a finish on it.
    I would also mask your binding if using duplicolor. You can buy nitro aerosol cans on ebay from a Sydney guitar shop and have them delivered or they sell it by the quart for spraying with your own setup if you want to go with nitro. They have all the usual Fender finishes, fiesta, lake placid, Sherwood green etc as well as tinted and non tinted clear.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  12. 650thunderbird

I am hoping to mask it well enough, that it won't be too much of a chore. I really want a good contrast with the binding.

Is it Hosco, it's from an Aussie shop? I got a MIJ neck done in nitro for my Elite, no complaints there. I am thinking translucent purple stain type thing (I don't have a purple guitar), I want the grain to show through. Red Tele, I have already:[​IMG]

Jim_in_PA, zippofan and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

I'm guessing it's Hosco. I have seen Hosco bodies listed for sale by Aussie ebay stores. Hosco and Allparts are the only Japan made body and neck sellers I know of and Allparts usually stamp the pocket with their name. Both are high quality and you should have no probs with matching Fender specd hardware and necks etc.

Aussie ebay stores also have a range of tinted clear nitro in aerosol or by the qrt. They might have a purple? I know they have reds and blues.

14. 650thunderbird

Yeah, I will most likely get the neck from the same guy, last one was sweet. I am just spacing purchases out, to lessen the hit on bank account.

15. Chunkocaster

It's worth waiting for the quality neck, I just missed out on a maple paddle headstock neck mij listed by a aussie ebay seller for $199 a few weeks ago because I couldn't quite afford it at the time. I think that was hosco too, they are very close to if not the same product as allparts. Possibly made in the same factory? They look and feel a lot alike.
    I have a few Allparts necks and like them a lot. Especially buying them unfinished so you can work on the frets and fingerboard edge and tint to your own preference.

650thunderbird likes this.
  16. 650thunderbird

$199AU, you mean? That's where they start, where I am looking, but already have headstock shaped.

17. Chunkocaster

Yes $199 au delivered from ebay, There is a site called Ace guitar parts AU that has them listed for around that but I have never purchased from them. Not sure what their service is like. The site has looked the same for the past couple years and I don't remember it having a checkout. I think you have to email them to buy so not sure how secure that is.
    The Allparts unfinished on ebay are around $320 delivered now due to crappy exchange rate and our extortion tax on all imports. I bought most of mine a few years back for under $240 au landed.
    They are $109US but the price of progress means we need to pay around $320au delivered.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  18. 650thunderbird

Ace is the place. Never had an issue with him, don't let the bodgy looking website fool you. I prefer to buy from AU, where possible, especially when there isn't much difference in the price.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I'm a colots guy myself but when I look at that grain I would go with a stain. Not sure how a purple would work, but I would go for that. 3T SB would be nice too.

20. 650thunderbird

I've decided to go with a transparent violet nitro, even though I might be biting off more than I can chew:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the weather has gone against me, turning cold and windy for the whole weekend, so no spraying nitro.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.