Don't ya'll think this data mining bit has done got outta hand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Absolutely not!

I'm an equal opportunities deviant. I mean, my 'friend' is an equal opportunities deviant...

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Nah, I think william tele is just illuminating the path that society is going down.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If anybody was ever in doubt that the intentions and spirit of the owner of this forum is anything but golden...
    please allow me to dispel that notion immediately. Thank you, Paul!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Dang I should have known that. He is a big trendsetter!

william tele likes this.
  5. william tele

More like..."Bitter little man who doesn't know how to make the best of a bad situation...":)

I love all those Spectrum monster commercials. My favorite is the Mom and Dad werewolves called in to the classroom...:D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I have spectrum, and the only reason I do is because I don't want to have a phone sex with AT&T every month. Well, it's not really phone sex, but they do use the phone to sc*w you every month.

Muff and william tele like this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Man, reading you guys' posts sure cheers me up!

8. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

To add to the general bummers of data mining there's the part where your financial status is available to criminals.
    Why bother with bulk hacks when you pin point your targets.
    Facebook is an excellent place start and they sell your account activity to anyone.

9. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

I might be paranoid, but these smart speakers/home assistant things (Google Home, Amazon Echo) make my skin crawl. The notion of having a "smart device" listening in at the house seems incredibly creepy. However, I still carry around a smart phone - which can have the microphone turned on remotely. And the camera. Just like on a smart TV. Or your laptop.

A while ago - a month or so? - I saw a thread on Reddit where a guy and his wife were talking about just this sort of thing. So, they tried an experiment. They don't own a cat and never have. But, they spent the weekend talking about cat food around their smart phones. They didn't search for cat food on their web browsers. Just talked about it around their smart phones.

They started getting served up ads in their web browsers for cat food. Or so they claim. You know how the internet is. French models abound. "Uh. Bon Jur."

I first saw the internet in the mid-1990s (I think it was around '94). When I saw it I was immediately awed by it. I remember thinking that it was the greatest invention for the transfer of information between peoples in the history of our species - at least as important as the invention of the printing press, and possibly more important. There was no predicting all of the ways that it could be beneficial to our species, but it would obviously change our world. I had hoped it would do so in a more democratic way (notice: small d - not doing the "p" word thing here).

But it couldn't change human nature. While universities can more easily share, criminals could more easily share as well. Greed is an element of humanity. People and organizations have been mining the web for ways to make more money, privacy be damned. Organizations (not pointing fingers at any particular group here, there are many offenders) that claim to distribute news distribute propaganda instead. Take a look at the recent net neutrality decision. It seems that bot inputs were rampant during the public comment period.

It seems like for every good, there's an evil.

So, I have become a Luddite. I don't have a cable/satellite account nor an internet account at home. I don't even have a computer any longer. The last one broke and I thought "I work with these things every day. Why do I want to mess with them at home?" It has been two years since there was a working computer at my place. I do have a smart phone, which I use as little as possible. Were it not for my flat panel (decidedly dumb) TV in my living room, walking into my apartment is like traveling back to the mid-1990s. I like it that way.

If I have my way in a few years my life will get - by our connected standards - even more primitive, and I really like the thought of it.

P Thought and william tele like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

That is so cool!

william tele likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I have spoken quite loudly into and around my phone, my computer, my wife's computer, all of the televisions, even my amps, and the radio that sits on my desk; "I would really be interested in purchasing one of the objects that broke the internet." So far, not even an add for a champagne glass!

william tele likes this.
  12. Muff

Muff TDPRI Member

HEY-------ya`ll need ta oil up your shot guns and lets bust sum DUCKS... I mean get outside and say ta heck with things that track ya :)

My moto is always check the sites adverts for deals.... whats a few bucks.,... sites aren`t free -N- all ;)

oh well 2 cents shot ta hell()

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

You are not paranoid, you are using your brain.

Generic Schmoe likes this.
  14. william tele

Forget that. The shipping alone would break you...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

So you think we don't know how many ducks you HID away in that compartment UNDER you truck?

Your friends

The game wardens.

Muff likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Earlier on, it wouldn't have been too costly, but you're right, now it would be a heavy haul, permits and such would eat you alive!

william tele likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I hate to be the one to tell you, but if that flat screen is a Samsung, and you've ever played huggy bear in the living room, you've most likely been recorded for posterities sake.

18. Generic Schmoe

It isn't. It's a cheap best buy house brand (Insigna? Something like that). No camera. No microphone. No Internet connection. It is only connected to a DVD player.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

As far as you know. :D

Generic Schmoe likes this.
  20. Generic Schmoe

C'mon now....I'm not that paranoid. :p

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.