Don't ya'll think this data mining bit has done got outta hand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, Dec 18, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow! You already know I'm a digital dunce but what a lot of great information. I gave up quite a while ago on trying to absorb every PC trick in the book to stay in the digital fast lane. It's just not that interesting to me and if I can just use something like a laptop for communicating and some e-commerce without having to reconfigure the browser, learn how to talk to a registry or reformat several times a year I would be happy.

Most all of that stuff is interesting to some people and it's part of the future...sooo..."you might as well GET interested." Wrong. As much as I enjoy talking to you guys I get really frustrated with all the junk involved.

More frustrating is my perception that all the stuff in my younger life growing up seemed beneficial and logical. Now, the things I see that are accepted and common place seem to be creating counter productive outcomes...the idea that you should have to navigate a menu to operate all the peripherals of an automobile, the fact that you're even able to text and drive, and the idea in general that you need to exchange information constantly with anyone.

I knew that one day I'd become my Grandpa. I never thought that I'd be a grown man and barely able to tell one car brand from another...but...viola! That time is here.:(

I'm only 63 but seriously do have a problem seeing the "new normal". Certain things should be able to be decided by common sense. It shouldn't have been so hard to forsee the ability for hackers to one day wreck all the "progress" of technology...but here we are. And by "hackers"...I don't just mean the illegal ones.

P Thought, Obsessed and telemnemonics like this.
  2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

They get the goldmine, we get the shaft

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hmmm. I see Enemas and Alligators as the new Discovery Channel replacement for Pitbulls and Parolees! Brilliant!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have not checked that site yet, but is there really a way to prevent the internet from keeping records of the data your IP address requests?
    Like a way for a retailer to not know what we bought from them?
    If we go there, and there is theirs, when we're there, we're theirs.

I use adblock to prevent them sending me records of what I did when I was there, but I'm not sure I can go there without them knowing where I went.
    I really don't care about them knowing where I've been when I'm there, though I'll admit there's a few things that have annoyed the crap out of me, before adblock.
    It's also annoying to be blocked from sites who refuse to allow visitors with adblock.
    I do clear my cache frequently, because it makes my computer sluggish.

Overall my life is too dull to bring big brother in due to my alarming searches.

william tele likes this.
  5. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

All the freakin time. I've looked up things on my WORK computer then gone home seen adds for the same exact thing on my wife's phone. It's beyond creepy.

telemnemonics and william tele like this.
  6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I am not worried . Everything that I order online is delivered wrapped in plain brown paper.

LeftFinger and william tele like this.
  7. telemnemonics

OK '55, the mysterious haze surrounding your identity is drifting away.
    We now have a clearer picture of what you've been up to.
    Are you an internet martial artist?
    Is that a profession?
    Or a secret society?
    I suspect you could make money as a consultant!

But, maybe you should delete the content of your posts on the subject before the edit option expires.
    Thanks for the info!
    Now get out before the SWAT team arrives!

tonytrout, 1955 and william tele like this.
  8. telemnemonics

Y'know I gotta say I'm amazingly unimpressed by what the tech giants seem to do with all their data gathering tech.
    Sending us ads for stuff we already looked at?
    That just seems mind numbingly dumb.
    One poster handled some V-8 at the grocery store, and somehow a multi billion dollar surveillance and data mining giant saw this user activity, and with its massive power, was able to inform the tracked/ mined/ stored/ activity processed user, that hey! You coulda had a V-8!

WTF?
    Can't they come up with something more imaginative?
    No advanced extrapolation software?
    Cross reference the most likely reasons for considering vegetable juice with the users other physical and virtual paths, to determine what that user might buy that they have not yet looked into!

If the user has been buying vitamins and supplements, advertise more advanced health nut products.
    If the user buys plus size clothing, advertise weight loss products and gyms.
    If the user has some recipe search history, advertise all clad cookware and the latest cookbooks.

Just blows my mind that they still send us ads for what we already looked at.

william tele likes this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you log in to Google.com or Bing.com or whatever browser at work, then you are also logged in at home - sure, it's really easy to transfer data to both places.

william tele likes this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Anonymous proxy. It takes a bit of geekery, but it can be done. It is also a bit of a pain in the butt, but if you are concerned...

Store shopping? That is harder. As long as you are logged in somewhere - google.com, amazon.com, wherever - then you are giving your search and purchase history to that vendor. It is part of the EULA when you signed up.

Even with an anonymous proxy, the connection and searches are still available to your ISP. Now, if you VPN to an anonymous proxy, well, then the only place that has your search history is the anonymous proxy owner, so you have to trust they don't sell your data.

The sad fact is, the only safe computer is one that is unpowered, with multiple, highly magnetized screws through every device. The only safe site to visit is, well, there are none. All the search and visit history data is available somewhere to someone - and it is available to a clever enough cracker, or for the right price, or with the right warrant.

william tele, Obsessed and tonytrout like this.
  11. telemnemonics

So we can hire a proxy server to use its own IP address and search for us, then give us what it found, without our having done the search from our own IP address?
    And then our search history will include the use of a proxy server to hide our illicit activity?
    And of course we cannot log in to any retail or other sites that know who we are during any searches we do using a proxy?
    Or are there also proxy consumers who will buy stuff at our request and send it to us after the retailer sends it to them?

All this effort might be worthwhile if we are stockpiling weapons with malicious intent.
    For the basic law abiding consumer though, it might be more cost effective and liberating to visit a psych doc and get some anxiety meds.
    If the whole country took drugs to avoid having to worry about Govt and private surveillance, the corporations would have a much easier time hooking us all up with what will keep us happy and content in our halcyon daze.

Wait, the whole country is on drugs!
    Now they advertise drugs on TV so we can tell our docs which ones we should be taking!
    A sedated population is a pliable population!
    Casualties in the war on awareness are to be expected.

The machines need not become self aware.
    Instead, humanity is systematically becoming self unaware.
    Even those behind the data mining seem self unaware, trying to sell us what we already bought.
    So, who is in charge?

BTW, just as an aside, a member of a 12 step program I go to got a personal visit from a trooper and town officer she grew up with. They suggested she stop attending 12 step meetings because they were doing statewide surveillance on them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    william tele likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I was waiting for unixfish to chime in here and set us all straight.

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Unpowered, ground to dust, and scattered on the winds, more like. And even if there were a safe website, your data goes through other computers to get to it.

I barely even trust silicon itself any more, since I was reading articles about various custom ICs having circuitry other than was was ordered put into them.

william tele and telemnemonics like this.
  14. telemnemonics

How did you know @unixfish had that information???
    Mining are we???

william tele and Obsessed like this.
  15. Obsessed

This is exactly how I feel. I think society will pay a big price down the road for it too.

16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Oh great! Just Great! Now my wife is going to start getting the ads that I get here of girls with big boobs in tight Tshirts that have inappropriate slogans on them.

How am I supposed to explain that?

william tele likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Haa, yeah, but my brain did the mining, remembering him recently posting about him data mining Bluetooth users at a mall.

18. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

In addition to running CCleaner I also manually run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware. It's amazing to see how many trackers and other spyware are running on my machine. Great software.

19. telemnemonics

IMO we are already paying the price, as in the apocalypse those crazies warned us about has been happening for a while.
    But it came with a side of Stockholm syndrome, so most of us think we want this.

I see it in the quality of the food in the store, the lack of fish in the sea, the inability of children to look up from the rabbit hole, the adults inability to find time for things like child rearing and lawn care because all the modern conveniences keep us tied to our devices, like so many sci fi movies portrayed in decades past.
    We may own our pods, but we as a species are being genetically modified by sitting in front of screens watching simulated lives.

Much of what @william tele spoke of as past logical beneficial things are largely unknown to the youth of today, and lost in the shuffle to those who might remember them.
    Not entirely, but the swarm is big and growing fast.

william tele and Obsessed like this.
  20. Muff

Muff TDPRI Member

Use tor or tails always use https and no script---> hey while I am at Dump MSN--- use linux all distro`s are free and well worth using..a-men.
    Code:
    https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Privacy&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.