Don't ya'll think this data mining bit has done got outta hand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, Dec 18, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ok...I can deal with the fact that this site and every other invasive software snoop wants to track my every thought but something happened today that really pisses me off.

We make this cracker dip that's delicious and simple. It's a bottle of pepper and onion relish mixed with slab or two of cream cheese. We use Harry and David's relish. I got on the forum today and the ad on the sidebar is...you guessed it! Harry and Davids Pepper and Onion relish. The thing is...we made it today.

I'm trying like hell to figure out how this would show up over there, so I asked my wife if she had done any searches for the relish on her totally separate machine and...sure enough...she had searched for it.

This seems just plain wrong. Is it really OK with people that any machine on an IP address gets snooped and that information gets swapped between them?

2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Now you know why windoze was free this time.They make their money on the advertising:eek:

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

LOL windoze ha ha ha. Oops! Your Chinese iMac hard drive crashed! Go get your info back!

4. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Turn off JavaScript.

Problem 90% solved.

5. william tele

I turned it off...thanks. I'll give it a try. What's the drawback? Anything?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You can donate to remove the advertising. Might save you on blood pressure medicine in the long run. Just sayin'

william tele likes this.
  7. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Some sites don't work.

I don't go to those sites.

If I absolutely have to (e.g. Bank), then I use a different browser exclusively for sites I trust.

You can use plugins do it all in one browser if you like.

telemnemonics and william tele like this.
  8. william tele

I could. It's not that the ads are there...even if I don't get the ads the spying is still going on. You and I are old enough to recall when people didn't take for granted that corporate busy bodies were living in your machine...:)

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

True, true. I actually disconnected from the whole thing including the phone line (basically before cell phones) for about ten years. And I was one of the first few hundred ever to be involved in on line banking, so there must be a certain amount of years before burnout occurs. You might be getting close.

Once I got hooked back up, I knew I was selling my soul to the man. It is a freedom of choice although even that is dissolving isn't it?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I had a lot of this intrusion; my eBay and Amazon views were being reproduced as adverts on my partner's Facebook page (our computers share the same IP address). You can use the Digital Advertising Alliance tool to stop websites targeting your computer. I won't link it, just Google search this:
    DAA WEBCHOICES BROWSER CHECK

11. william tele

Thanks! I'll check it out.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I’m getting ads appear for special deals at a local motel and for divorce lawyers.

Should I be worried?

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Use a different search engine.

Google is just an advertising machine. Try www.duckduckgo.com

Clear out your crud using CCCleaner.

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

You're logged into your google account? TDPRI just gives google space on this site, but are not responsible for content in those adds.

Google just sees your account, remembers that you made a search for relish and there you have it

I'm a simple man, so all I ever see on every site I visit are guitar adds :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can also wipe your cookies from time to time, they don't serve any purpose besides keeping you logged on and keeping the items in your basket when shopping. You can set your browser to wipe them at the end of each session.

16. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

recently made it legal for corporations to sell information they have collected about you. they don't have to ask, and they don't have to tell you they did it. you are for sale. here's scary one ... if you have a Roomba, or one of those robotic vacuums... they map the interior of you house and make a floor plan. that data belongs to.... Roomba. WHAT? and... they can potentially retrieve it at any time. hope you trust them, hope nobody hacks their data. me.... I have NO "smart" stuff in my house. I have a 15 dollar flip phone, when those no longer work you can write me a letter.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

In the UK, we have things called "telephone preference service" and "mail preference service". Isn't it about time that there was an "internet preference service"? The idea would be that you, the user, gets to choose which, if any, sites you're happy to store your data and use it. In Europe (which, thankfully, still includes the UK), there's new legislation called Article 82 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (the "General Data Protection Regulation" or the "GDPR"). A bit of a mouthful but it places some very significant restrictions on the data held on individuals and the way in which it is stored, processed and used.

I like the internet, for the most part, but it really pi$$es me off when megacorps impose their will on users to the point where they probably know more about your life than you do. IMO, we need to fight for internet neutrality and keep businesses out of our business. Ultimately, are we here for their benefit or are they here for ours?

tonytrout and william tele like this.
  18. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

In the UK there are laws coming into force soon whereby companies will have to be much more open about what info they collect on you so at least it should be transparent.

There’s already a law whereby you can demand any information a company is holding about you and you can request they delete it.

I’d be surprised if in a libertarian country like the US that laws like this aren’t already in place. I’m not really up on the constitution but wouldn’t there be something like freedom for any person to go about their business unimpeaded? Maybe not..

william tele likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

if it was not true, it would be a dystopian horror story

william tele and Obsessed like this.
  20. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey William Tele,
    I know just want you need. Click here to get another bottle of
    Harry and David's Pepper and and Onion Relish.

william tele, waparker4 and kubiakl like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.