Don't Want to be "That" Guy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele56, May 9, 2013.

1. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

So, just to play devil's advocate: for everyone bagging on "that guy" - how do you know you're not "that guy"?

2. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

The guy who waits until the end of the seminar, when we are about to go on a much needed break, who waits until the teacher says" That's all for this session. Anyone have any questions" who raises his hand to ask a long winded overly technical question that he already knows the answer to, to show everyone how much HE knows.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Just teasing you GB, it was just too good to let pass! Most times you are a pillar of cool, but once in a while!;)

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Do you show any of the behaviors listed? If not, you're not that guy.

5. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Last time I was at Drivers Training School there were a lot of that guy-s there.I didn't mind since we had to be there for a full day, I got to hear lots of I am innocent the police was wrong type stories.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I knew a guy who had to go to drivers ed because of a drunk drivers ticket he got. I'm not sure what he learned was what they intended. He became expert at grabbing a drink going down the road to the point I sometimes didn't even know he was drinking when I was riding with him. I was forced to ride with him in a work situation, he was driving a COMPANY vehicle, he was also the boss. I finally without saying anything to anyone just started driving my own vehicle to work. It was tense for a few days then it smoothed out. That was back in the very early 90s. Not long after I quit riding with him his position was eliminated, but I had nothing to do with it, just worked out that way. I can't say I was unhappy about his leaving. I think he really was THAT GUY!

7. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Code:

I don't know about your state, but in MN all licensed contractors, builders, plumbers, & electricians have to take a continuing Ed course. It's only one day a year, but we have to pay for it, along with the license renewal.

So...you end up in a room with about 300 self-employed slobs full of bad manners. :neutral:

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Crazy enough but tile contractors don't have to be licensed here.

How do I know ?

I repair a lot of new installations 5 years old or less ! :lol:

9. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

How do you know you're not exhibiting behaviors that cause others to perceive you as "that guy" and so now there multiple "that guys"? Do others always perceive us as we perceive ourselves?

10. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Please don't be "That Guy" who asks a detailed, technical question he already knows the answer to, just to bicker every slight bit and nuance, just to prove you are smarter than the instructor. Nobody cares, really.

Don't be "That Guy" who treats each statement by the instructor as a straight line so you can turn the seminar into a comedy routine starring you.

Don't be "That Woman" who finds every excuse to turn the discussion into an excuse to mention some story about what your child/grandchild said or did. Nobody cares.

At the same time, to the instructors and the corporate people who decide what is contained in the seminars:

NOTHING is more depressing than someone trying to raise your morale (except maybe team building games and exercises).

A previous post mentioned "Death by Powerpoint". That includes an instructor simply reading the words on the slide. We would rather read it ourselves because if it gets boring, we can hear it in our heads being read by Morgan Freeman, Jackie Mason or someone to spice it up a bit. You droning on just makes it more painful.

Don't tell the "funny" stories about some activity you shared with the president or vice president of the company. We are thankful for working here but we don't know the guy and really don't think he's that big of a deal.

11. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

I think I can more easily tolerate "that guy," than the presenter who 'spices' up the presentation with archaic nuisances like, "...think outside the **x" (I can't bring myself to type it,) or starts every answer to a question with, "...so,..."

Also annoying (sorry, it has to be said) are the smokers who come back from a break completely jacked up on whatever is in those things and who answer/volunteer/ask/interrupt/chatter/laugh inappropriately/relate anecdotes (which they call "antidotes.") The coffee abusers (myself included) are second in line, and the Boring People are right after, with the compulsion to tell long-winded stories that are far related to the subject at hand, but often include copious name-dropping.

In conclusion, I love meetings!

12. choupique

choupique Tele-Holic

A few years ago I went to a week long maintenance training class at the Ampex factory in Colorado Springs. It turned out that I was the only student. I have been to many other classes at Sony and Ampex but I really had to pay attention. There was no one to answer any questions asked by the instructor besides myself. So, I guess I was That Guy by default.

13. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

I used to run Training classes fairly regularly.
    Still do from time to time.

I take it as my job to 'manage' the attendees for the overall benefit of the group / session.

That would include managing attendees who seemingly felt it was somehow their job to manage my class ..
    ;)

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're aware of "that guy" - you probably aren't "that guy".

Exhibit A...

15. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Oh, man that made me laugh! There's a special place in hell for all the people who organize and ask their staff to attend these meetings.

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Posting as someone who gives talks and seminars; though not the kind of seminars people are forced to attend. If you do this a lot you tend to learn the "heckler" tricks of:

"I'll be covering that further in the talk"
    "Perhaps we can cover that after the session so as not to go past the allocated time"

I also learned to speak to the wall at the back of the room so that you avoid eye contact with the wanabes and distractors. I think professional musician’s know the drill as well.

Early on in my presentation experiences, it would bother me to see certain types in the audience and lots of audience mannerisms would distract me. The guy in the front row with his head rolled back and snoring, the hand raisers, figiters, snackers and gum smackers. Speaking to the back wall generally improves that for the speaker.

As long as someone goes away having benefitted from the talk, it’s all good. Grin and bear it.

17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

This is hilarious!

I'd like this rulebook approach across the board, outlining the "correct" laws of behavior in different situations. I'm one of those people that never worked in a corporate environment, so I am totally in the dark about these types of events, and have not developed the skills.

A lot of the trouble seems to me to stem from a passive/aggressive, but unspoken pc code. The redirecting ability, patience, and concentration of the speaker is bound to an extent by politeness, juggling distractions and egos.

It would be nice if people just said what they mean. Instead of doing the Zen-master force-field, smiling, affirming, and reeling back in to the topic, just saying: "That is irrelevant, and I'm going to stop you right there, so please keep your questions short and to the point."

It's similar to live performance etiquette in a way. I'm not one of those people who can easily validate and redirect a negative or self-absorbed attention-hog. Possibly I am the man in the mirror, as I did not enjoy being subjected to the oratory sadism of school teachers. My curve-balls as an unwilling participator centered around distilling incongruity or terminal systematic flaws in the machine.

However, the rules are different in the op's scenario, because people choose their careers, and the ones who apathetically (or for whatever reason) choose the wrong career can make life awfully tedious for those who do care about their work.

I may be a windbag here on the forum, but in a situation described by the op, I'd have my mouth shut and be aware of not disrupting or distracting. Just garden-variety courtesy!

And, why don't we have "quiet plastic" by now? Noisy plastic wrapping has ended marriages and probably helped lose wars.

18. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

How about try not to fall asleep during the boring parts, and don't get too serious about role playing.

19. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

20. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

Don't answer your cell phone in class and hold a conversation. We don't care how important you think you are.

Dep

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.