1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don't touch the red button

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, May 10, 2020.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If you are told not to touch it why do you do it? If everyone remains calm and does not approach the red button with their finger the rest of us can go on in civility. But some must touch the red button without any regard for anyone else. They think it is their duty to muck everything up. Most of the members on this site are truly the best people in the whole world. The camaraderie is amazing between all of the members. But there are a couple of pessimists that will do the wrong thing at the wrong time because they think it is their duty to be the muckfork. I'm tired of the muckforkers already. Rant over.

Stubee, marc2211, RomanS and 8 others like this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

it only turns red when you touch it.

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I (imho) haven't encounter the red button pushing crowd , though my interest in grindage guitar noise go ( very politely ignored)
    I have suffered no assaults on my personality or attempts to degrade me, a big plus, Though sometimes I get a little ass-dore when post I think are perfectly o.k. but that's why we have moderators, right ?

Have you snitched about any of the offending red light button pushers to the management?
    Perhaps less caffine might help? more sleep and vigorous exercise.
    my mom used to tell me don't be a taddle tale, no body likes taddle tales an yes I did notice you rant didn't name names as in omertà

4. wowazeplin

wowazeplin Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

alnico357, carpenter, 68tele and 8 others like this.
  5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Does that count for the little tap button on my amp? Now I'm afraid to touch it.

tintag27, beagle and 39martind18 like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some people like to stir up crap simply because they crave the attention. The best way to deal with folks like that is to not take the bait and just ignore them.

RomanS, TG, GibbyTwin and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I installed a red kill-switch button on my guitar. But no, I don't touch it. :lol:

beagle likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

This seems like a good analogy of what’s going on currently

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure what you're referring to but it reminds me of the old Candid Camera show where people were left alone in a waiting room with a cabinet marked "Do No Open". A thousand ping pong balls poured out if opened.

(I was always tempted to set up our medicine cabinet in the main bathroom like this when we hosted parties, but that's another story)

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This is where my mind went!
    Big fan, back in the day - when my kids were kids!

11. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I work in an oil and gas facility full of literal big red buttons. You should not touch them... unless you know what they do and why. Sometimes pressing one is what saves your hide.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Where is this red button you're babbling about?

Thinline casket and beagle like this.
  15. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Not sure what this is about.

Thinline casket and tintag27 like this.
  16. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Target fixation.
    If you must say "Don't touch the red button" you need a follow up reason or consequence.
    "If you touch the red button ........."

Some adults act like children. Try telling a child not to do something.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Humans hate to be told what not to do. Only the well disciplined can resist.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I am a recording engineer by trade. I listen, tweak knobs, and watch displays. I love to touch the red button. In fact, one of my consoles had 5000 controls on the front panel that I got to tweak. My need to touch buttons goes back a long way. But...

When I was eight my dad took me to work with him at his lab. He was an environmental scientist. There were knobs and dials EVERYWHERE and I was entranced. My dad said, "Don't touch anything without asking." Playfully, I ran over to a big heated "bath" (liquid research vessel), grabbed the knob on the front, gave it a good twirl, and said, "What does this do?" I looked over at my gentle father who stood staring, gritting his teeth, and trembling from the effort required to contain himself. His mouth repeatedly opened and closed as he attempted to speak. When he finally could reply, he pulled down the clipboard next to the knob, handed it to me, and gently said, "Here is a record of every adjustment we've made with this thermostat, up and down, to dial in the temperature of this bath within a tenth of a degree." There were several pages of signed, dated entries. He asked, "When was the last adjustment?" I checked and say that it had happened the day before. Then he asked, "When did we start?" I dug through until I found the first entry. It had taken three months of carefully fine tuning the analog thermostat to bring the bath to exactly the right temperature for an experiment. I had just thrown out three months worth of work.

It was an excellent but costly lesson for me in unintended consequences. Seeing the physical effect of my impulsive act on my dad, who didn't shout or punish me, was embarrassing and distressing. The lesson followed me into my profession, where settings can be hard-won and impossible to duplicate, and into my playing guitar.

Understand that I am a VERY tactile individual. A thing doesn't exist until I touch it. But I've had to learn to just stand there with my hands itching and wait.

Bob

Martian, Modman68, Jlwctn and 3 others like this.
  19. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

For a small price I will install this blue button to get you back down-Daffy Duck

Jakedog likes this.
  20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some people think they’re special. That the rules don’t apply to them. They’re always pushing buttons, just to see how much they can get away with. Or to see what kind of a reaction they can get from it.

They get extra excited when somebody gets upset, or angry, or sad. It makes them feel like they’ve accomplished something. They often gleefully point out and brag that they’ve “triggered” or “owned” someone else.

They think it’s funny or exciting to make somebody else feel bad, or when their words or actions result in somebody else (or many somebody elses) having a hard time. They get a rise out of trying to bait or lead somebody into a “gotcha” moment because it makes them feel somehow superior.

They are typically not group minded, and think only about themselves, and what they want. When it blows up in their faces, it’s always somebody else’s fault. That person becomes the one who ruined the fun. Because that somebody else “takes themself too seriously”, or “doesn’t have a sense of humor”, or is a “buzz kill”. Or a “Boy Scout”. Or a “goody two shoes”.

These people aren’t right in the head. Not even a little bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.