1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"don't stop believing" by Journey: can we discuss this?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I thought Journey's first album was great, but it was mostly prog rock. I watched some "history of Journey" video on YouTube which described how that was great and all but it wasn't getting them sales and so they went out of their way to do what it took to become commercially successful. You'd have a hard time arguing against the results. I did not follow them after that and wouldn't see them for free if it involved having to go anywhere.

As far as the lyrics being open to interpretation, consider that many pop songs are only memorable for a single line of lyrics, the rest being "fill in the blank with whatever you like" story wise. To me this is actually pretty clever. I think of Justin Hayward (Moody Blues) who wrote, among others, "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights in White Satin"... he had this approach down to a craft. Tell just half of the story. Paint some images and leave them hanging there so the listener paints themselves into it and feels part of what's going on (e.g. because I looked out of a window sadly on a rainy day once). As soon as you start talking about Joe and Mary, it's about "someone else".

I don't write songs that way and I don't seek to try to relate to people's emotional side in my songs anyway, but I can see it as an effective strategy.

2. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

In one of the episodes, Tony says "It's all a big nothing". But at the end of the show he's definitely fallen in a big way. He's isolated, he's killed Christopher who he put so much hope in, and his crew is in shambles. At the restaurant in the finale, AJ reminds Tony of something he said in season 1 at Artie Bucco's restaurant... that they have to remember nice family moments like this. Tony has no recollection of this when AJ brings it up in the finale. I think Tony has gotten his just desserts but he's a black hole so everyone around him suffers too.

3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

"Can we discuss this?"

Why? It's a big, stupid pop song with a wank-off guitar intro. Zzzzz.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

It's totally subjective. Clearly millions of record-buying fans love it. It just always bugged me somehow. And believe me, I like my share of cheesy 80s rock (and other stuff). Not insulting them or anyone who likes them. JMHO.

And obviously, I'm not writing anything better right now, so there's that... :rolleyes:

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

But at least you’d have CKLW. :)

tanplastic likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's no different from

Don't
    Stop
    Thinkin'AboutTomorrow
    Don't
    Stop
    It'llSoonBeHere

Innocuous and harmless melody, yet hypnotic and uplifting all at the same time.

John Nicholas, archetype and Ronzo like this.
  7. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I always thought Journey's job was to back up, support and feature Steve Perry's vocal talents. Lyrics are secondary to his delivery. The replacement is very good but lacks something that Perry had. If they had an average singer to start with they wouldn't have had the hits.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

A lot like Journey for that matter,,,

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Get a good antenna and see if you can pull in 89.7 WTMD (Towson MD). It's what WHFS used to be. It doesn't have Damian, but it has The Weasel on Fridays and Saturdays.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Audiowonderland

Journey existed long before Steve Perry joined them

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. They were basically Santana without Santana's choice of using already recognized singers and songs. When it was clear that big prog fusion bands rarely ever move beyond musician audiences, they got an actual singer and recorded songs for the radio.

Granted, I'm genx to the core. Which would at least explain age-wise why I never knew they existed pre-Perry until I was way past the very brief teenage prog rock appreciation phase that I actually did go through, more or less. I liked Yes and Rush in the 80s. That was about it. Anyway, my point being is that despite the old boomer guitarist rumblings of early Journey preferences, the vast majority of the Earth's population would have absolutely no knowledge of Neal Schon had he never met Steve Perry. Santana, notwithstanding.

Don't Stop Believin'? Cheesy as hell. But still a great song. And just like all of Journey's hits, it's Steve Perry's pipes that make it. Period. End of story.

GeneB likes this.
  12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I'm lazy and not motivated to look up who it is, but the bass playing on those old Journey songs is really good; growly and driving the songs.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never gave the song much thought, so I just listened to it and remembered why. Also, I totally had it confused with another song I never really paid attention to:

:lol:

I've never seen The Sopranos, but getbent, this is just beautiful:

:)

Then this—every bit as beautiful and true:

:lol:

Peegoo likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

My thoughts exactly about the Sopranos. Possibly the best drama I've seen.

I thought the song fit.

15. Audiowonderland

Ross Valory

John Nicholas likes this.
  16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, now, there is that.

17. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Don’t Stop Believing ‘borrows’ pretty heavily from Rush’s Spirit of Radio, right down to the key, chord progressions and rhythm.

18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It's Ross Valory with a good, piano-like tone on Don't Stop Believing. A pick and lots of upper midrange? He got fired from Journey. They say it steps from a an attempted corporate coup by Valory and drummer Steve Smith. Who knows the reality? Journey has always operated as a corporation, which in itself is not a bad thing for a band.

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

this is absolutly the truth, Wabashslim. thank you for reminding me of this fact.

20. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I don't know what the song is about other than staying positive regardless of your place or situation in life.

I did go down this wormhole on youtube a while back, it's pretty funny. There are a bunch of videos of people remaking the separate ways video.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.