1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"don't stop believing" by Journey: can we discuss this?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

The unexpected twist to the story, whatever in the world they're not supposed to stop believin' in...

Born and raised in South Detroit = most likely some uneventful single-family home in La Salle, Ontario.

[​IMG]

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That band really is pretty much perfect to many folks in many ways you think about it, and it makes sense; that vapid quality is a big part of their broad appeal

They could certainly craft a perfect-sound:

jman72 likes this.
  3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It seemed to rank high (low?) on the recent 'songs you hate' thread that was floating around. It's certainly no favorite of mine but always thought there were far worse songs.

However, because I detested the final episode/ending (and frankly, the last season) of the Sopranos, it was pretty much ruined for me by 'cut to black' at the end.

Don't stop:

upload_2020-11-5_5-43-27.png

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t like Journey.
    Yes, each of the members (including the replacement members) are more talented than I will ever be at their respective craft.
    Yes, they’ve made more money off this one song than I’ll ever make off music in my entire life...

...But they were the Nickelback of the late 70s/early 80s.

This song doesn’t bother me—probably because I’ve never (been forced to) play it...And it’s a good singalong to get folks to develop a rapport...however, I can live without ever hearing it again.

I’ve always thought it was about searching for love through somewhat seedy or sleazy means—singles bars, etc (no offense if that’s how you found love). The idea of not stopping “believing” was because it’s a somewhat self-defeating exercise of trying to find true love amongst people who just want a hook-up.

That paragraph^ is a more serious analysis than this pop song deserves.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I hate it!
    I still listen to Classic Rock stations in the car ( Uber Driver and gigs) because I am an idiot, still nostalgic about great radio I grew up with...

The ' Big 100' ( I Heart Radio) radio stations' playlist have shrunken so much, daily it seems, that I bet in one year there will oniy be 4 songs played:

Don't Stop Believin'
    Living On A Prayer
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    * pick a Pat Benetar song

My own fault for still listening

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

The moral center of the Universe starts with you.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Classic rock radio has degraded into the least artistically accomplished hits by the biggest classic rock bands of yore.

If you listen to classic rock radio, ZZ Top consists of Legs, Sharp Dressed Man and Gimme All Your Lovin’...all of which are songs I like, but they’re not their best tunes by a mile.

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

If you were a city boy from south Detroit, you'd be from Windsor, Ontario and I suggest you let that one marinate

61fury likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Don't get me started! ( too late)

I remember in the late '80's-early '90's, here in DC area a station, WCXR 105.9 ( called Classic Rock) was getting started and they were just fantastic. They played an insane variety of '60's and '70's rock, R&R, deep stuff ( in the daytime), Motown & Stax R&B

- full albums all night Saturday nights, the Blues Room show on Sunday nights

And WHFS the alternative Rock station
    Radio .
    It was wonderful and I was just in heaven for a few years.

Then over the years, things just got 100% Hit oriented, and the constant shrinking, shrinking, shrinking

Criminal, the music that just disappeared

thunderbyrd, Bassman8 and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Heaven's just a funky moose!

This. This will never get old.

USian Pie likes this.
  11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

As an 80's kid, I have fond memories of Journey playing on the radio. I never took them too seriously, but always enjoyed their stuff. I have friends who are a bit older that hate Journey, so I think it might be a case of how sophisticated your musical tastes were at the time.

I was 9 when Don't Stop Believing came out, so my main focus at the time was the Journey Escape Atari game and NOT high level music criticism.

12. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I can lose myself in music, but have never been “deep” enough to interpret lyrics. That song has a catchy, cool melody. I’ll leave it at that.

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I never could get that wheedeeley wheedeeley wheedeeley wheedeeley part to sound right. I'm just too slow.

14. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

how can you not like Don’t Stop Believing? I’m not a Journey fan or anything but it’s a great song.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  15. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure it's about the White Sox winning the world series in 2005

Mouth, Wallo Tweed and Willie Johnson like this.
  16. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I’ve never understood this “there is no south Detroit” argument. It makes zero sense.

South is just a direction....there is a part of Detroit that’s the furthest south.....is that not “south Detroit”?

Cyberi4n likes this.
  17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

only if their debut album was called 'cheaper fumes'

18. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I was never a Journey fan. But I always dug "Faithfully." [Normally, I'd post the Youtube link here. But I suspect you're familiar with the song.] Yes, it's bubblegum and manipulative, but no more so than all those great Tommy James songs.

"Don't Stop Believing" does nothing for me. I always thought the triplets in the guitar part sounded like a place-holder--the guitar player intended to come back and replace it with something more expressive but never settled on a preferable alternative.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  19. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Funny, the wheedeeley wheedeeley wheedeeley wheedeeley thing is about my only discernible skill in life.

Greggorios and Blue Bill like this.
  20. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Beat me to it. :)

Pop music and television serials are serious business. You should allow them to shape your personal life philosophy. :twisted::p

Whatizitman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.