1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"don't stop believing" by Journey: can we discuss this?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Nov 5, 2020.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

very simply, is this song about anything at all? don't stop believing in WHAT?

here's how i read it. this song was used at the end of the finale episode of the Sopranos. david chase, who invented the show, does not believe in anything - there is no moral center of the universe and he wrote the show to reflect his belief. you watched the Sopranos expecting to see their "just desserts" fall on them, but it never did. yes, things went wrong for them here and there, as life will do for anybody, but we watched Tony Soprano continue on and on and the axe did not fall on him, not really.

so: the finale episode. ending the way the show did, we saw that the entire length of the Sopranos was "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

so this song by Journey was the perfect soundtrack. the song is full of drama and thunder, but it doesn't mean a damn thing.

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Don't get me wrong, but the wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Don’t Stop Believing in finding love, romance, one night stand, whatever. It’s not like Journey songs were anything deep or esoteric. :D

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I never care for that song or for Journey...

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the song is about yearning for love, that deep connection and that everyone is looking and hoping for it and the suggestion is that we owe it to ourselves to keep looking and not settle for anything less than a full complete love.

that is the essence of the sopranos... it isn't nihilistic at all. it is the situational values and constant shifting of context so that right becomes wrong and wrong right.... As we come to know the characters we see that in ALL of them....

it is just the malleability of value (morality, love, family, community) and how arbitrary but concretely we (people) do acrobatics to justify what we do.

the show was so great because it called all of us, while we sat on high, it called each of us on the ways we do the same stuff....

the ending was just desserts... life just keeps going, we know they'll all end up dead as we all do, some will get whacked, some cancer, some killed in a car crash, some old age. some will pull a stretch in prison... all of it just as normal as a night in the diner.

6. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

It may be my all-time least favorite song. Completely pretentious and depressing... to me, anyway. Other people obviously liked it.

t-ray, Bassman8, thunderbyrd and 2 others like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

agree. never liked journey much, but knew very hot girls who LOVED it.

8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you'll find the answer somewhere in South Detroit...

9. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

"Smellawine" would be an excellent band name.

old soul, Nubs, ale.istotle and 7 others like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve been required to play it in a number of wedding, and bar bands.
    It goes over well, or did go over well.
    The fast lick in it doesn’t serve the song, at all.
    I’m glad it seems to have disappeared from set list of my life.
    Hopefully my luck will hold!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh Sherry.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Two things... for me, this is the quid of the question:

Streetlights people
    Livin' just to find emotion
    Hidin' somewhere in the night

Don't stop believin'
    Hold on to that feelin'
    Streetlight people

Just a song about nightlife. When I hear it I think on a man inside a Taxi just cruising back home, late at night, a bit drunk and stoned and he is just watching through the window

Regarding a "moral center of the universe" is an often mistake by religious people, think that they have the one and only right to own a moral. Moral is not owned by religious people of... witch religion? All of them says they own the right to say what is moral and what is not. Sorry, but you can be an atheist and have some strong moral feelings and coherent behaviour as well as you can be a religious from any of the thousands of religions and be a bad person.
    As Fiódor Dostoyevski says in the "Karamazof brothers" "If there is no god, everything is permitted" but there are a thing called "laws" that won't let you that even if you want to whatever you believe or not.

No mate, the song is not about that...

Sorry if this is against the forum rules, please, delete if so. I think is just...
    philosophy

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  13. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Ohh,ohh,ohh na, na, na, na ,na, whoa ,oooh, oooh...

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

A friend and I used to play the Don't Stop Believing game when drunk and wending our way home.

The game involves replacing the lyrics with any random words.

Cheesecake, steeples
    Sewing just to find a shoelace
    skirting boards, ants' nests out of spiiiiiiite!!!

The song didn't lose any of its, er, power.

15. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

A vaguely uplifting lyric with simple words. A lead vocal pitched between normal M and F ranges, so everybody can sing along to at least part of it. A dramatic increase in intensity over 3 minutes. A flashy short guitar break for the players in the crowd to enjoy, but not too long to turn off the non-musicians. I can see why it is a hit. People loved it at every wedding reception I played.

ukepicker likes this.
  16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

El Marin nailed it here.

From studying the history of the song, and also having performed it as a band many times (think old people high school reunions), it's mainly that which El Marin asserts.

Post-gig contemplation and thoughtful introspection while watching people milling around at night, both in Los Angeles (keyboard player Jonathan Cain) and in Detroit (Steve Perry).

Written by three different members of Journey, knowing that each of the guys put their own stamp and history on the song, the true meaning of the song becomes therefore quite convoluted. And that's okay. It's just a song.

Cain brought the title into the songwriting mix, and that was lifted from phone conversations he would have with this dad years before.
    In his early days in the music business, he would call his dad, and talk to him about how tough it was trying to make a living in L.A., and trying to survive on the Sunset Strip.

His dad would say, and I'm paraphrasing, "Don't stop believing, or you are surely finished."

Words of encouragement then.
    And people-watching while getting a buzz on at three a.m.

I guess Neil Schon's contribution was the deedla-deedla-deedla-deedla- wheeeeeeeeeeer bit.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

17. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

That's what R&R IS, or haven't you noticed?

The lyrics just have to sound good, they don't have to mean anything. It's best if they don't.

18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wonder what it is about certain songs that makes them so intensely polarizing? Songs that are massively popular, but also intensely despised by an equal number. Some songs just provoke an instant visceral reaction that almost defies explanation.

Cyberi4n and thunderbyrd like this.
  19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Call me an old intellectual fart factory (band name?) but I cling to the belief that words should mean something. Even sha-na-na should mean something in context. In fact it can often mean quite a lot.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My fave part is near the beginning where Neal comes in with the guitar, slowly at first and it speeds up "dahdahlahdah, dahdahlahdah, dahdahlahdah, dahdahlahdah, dahdahlahdah DAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...."

Other than that I don't care much for it

Whoah, I was scooped by @Sparky2 :
    I guess Neil Schon's contribution was the deedla-deedla-deedla-deedla- wheeeeeeeeeeer bit.

:)

Deathray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.