Don't see these every day

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by elpico, Jan 23, 2020.

1. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Well, I don't open many cupboards and find something like that anyways. Might be more common across the pond.

They're used and not a true pair as you can see by the slightly different base colors but I'm curious to see if they test okay and how they might sound compared to the 6L6 I'm used to.

Any Kt66 users out there?

2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had an amp tech who put Kt66s in my re-issue twin reverb. It broke up a lot quicker, but I missed the snap of the 6L6s. Much heavier on the mid-range.

3. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I see a 12AX7A in there and an ECC83. Where'd you find these?
    I'm going to go home and start opening cupboards. Nice score there.

4. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Meister

Are there really 7199's in those boxes? If there are and they are good, you can pretty much name your price.

5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

The KT66 was essentially a 6L6 redesigned with a larger cathode and a shorter, fatter anode. The KT66 had less rapid acceleration, longer electron paths, and almost no kink. It was ace for audio hi-fi but the electrons took longer to reach the anode and were more open to influence from magnetic, etc, fields on the way. Moreover, under HF conditions the electron stream was not perfectly in phase with the grid signal and this resulted in a loss of output power if used for RF applications.
    Your 6L6 is a pentode.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think I remember some ampegs and Hiwatts
    back in day with them. So not in awhile.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

shhhhh! I might want one or two of those!!!
    Do I see a 6973?
    nice little stash, Elpico. The KT66’s are nice, but the rest of it really intrigues me.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Nice find !
    A NOS matched pair of GEC KT-66s has to be north of $500 now days. Who knows if those are even still good or even close to a match? But still what a cool find !

9. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

If you could use it to keep a jukebox or old radio going my grandfather probably had a dozen spares. He used those 7199s for seeburg jukeboxes I believe. Would be up to my uncles these days what to do with them, I'm just trying to help them clean up the basement without throwing out anything useful. The kt66 are a neat surprise to me because I've never seen British tubes in his collection before. Can't imagine how they ended up nearly 5000 miles from home back then. Thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing these old travelers too.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have two amps that run a 7199....an Alamo Fury and a California and a Califone conversion from a commercial turntable/P.A. The 7199 performs the input and driver stages for the 5watt Califone that runs a single EL-84. Both of these amps are great guitar amps. I don’t run across 7199s very often. The sockets can be rewired for equivalent tubes of which I do have in fair quantities, but I would like to run across some NOS 7199’s. many times repairmen replaced working tubes. I see some 7199s in other boxes. Those are likely UOS ime from dealing with repairmen’s stashes.
    in your position, I would either offer to buy those tubes or to manage the sale of them. It may be that they have a use for them, though. Many sons of TV/Radio/electronic technicians follow in their fathers’ steps even if on a hobby basis.
    At any rate.....:D...

11. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Oh those sound pretty cool. I love low watt amps.

None of my uncles got into electronics, but there are still a bunch of jukeboxes and antique radios in the family so the spares for those should probably keep doing what they're doing.

I took a peek in one of those 7199 boxes and it was definitely used, but it took me two days to find where they moved the good tube tester to so I didn't get started checking anything before I left.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.