"Don't know what you've got till it's gone" what gear do you want back?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jack Clayton, Nov 12, 2018.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There are photos of him with a Sheraton and with a Riviera. I saw him in 1983 and he was using a Riviera and a black guard Tele for most of the set, but the Jazzmaster did make an appearance or two.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

To quote the first line from the Love Story theme, "Where do I begin, to tell the story".......
    I'll go back to my first electric, a used National Glenwood I received for Christmas in 1966. Out of the hundreds of guitars I've had since, my top want backs are a 1957 Les Paul Special, 1981 Ibanez AS200, 1956 Martin 0-18, late 70's Washburn Timber Ridge. There are a few others, ala several Guild Starfires, a sweet Gibson Firebird and a 1967 Gibson ES-335. Better end mow or I'll Liz em all!

3. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Too many to list.

4. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

My 1983 Les Paul. We needed money in the early 90s, and I had to let it go. I was looking through some old pictures today; I think this is the only one I have of that guitar.
    IMG_2945.JPG

Zepfan likes this.
  5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

My ugly joe strummer telecaster!
    Not the most beautiful tele but what a neck!

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I can relate sean79, I had to sell off my stuff to move.

7. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

The first guitar I ever sold; an early 60’s ES-330.

I ditched an early blackface Vibrolux head about 35 years ago for reasons probably related to Aquanet poisoning.

I traded a late 60’s 3 pickup SG Custom for something I don’t remember in the mid-90’s. Still wish I’d have kept the SG.

There are more over the last 50 years, but those are the ones that stand out.

8. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

9. CigBurn

CigBurn TDPRI Member

In 73 or 74 I'd saved up enough to hit a trade-in sale and bought one of the ones that had been traded in. An old Oly white strat with a rosewood board, for the princely sum of $180 as is, no case (I had $200 on me and no idea if I should bargain or what so being a kid I just said I'll take it). It had seen better days and I had to do a couple things to get it sorted out. Switch was bent over about about 45 deg, warped pick guard. No trem bar and one screw holding in the claw, which in turn had one spring. At the time, it was just an old guitar, kind of a beater and fixer upper that had to last until I could afford better. No clue what year it was made and at that time it really didn't matter. Had it until I'd been married for a couple years in the 80's and sold it off for peanuts to a different music shop.

I can tell you this though. I remember like it was yesterday the feeling I had when I got it home, put my strap on it and put it on for the first real time.

I wouldn't mind having that one back.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

A couple of Peavey amps. I had a teal stripe Studio Pro 110 that I really liked, but gave it to my son. I don’t want to take it back from him, but I wouldn’t mind having another. Even more so my Bandit 65 that was stolen. I’d like to have that exact one back, or at least another Bandit 65.

I’d like to have back in my hands the guitars I learned on/played as a kid, but that’s really more about sentiment than a “don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone” item, so I won’t go into that here.

11. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

My 72 Les Paul Custom. Mostly for the good memories attached to it.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’d like to have it all back. All at once. In one big lump. That way I could sell it all again, but all at the same time. I’d have enough to pay off my house, car, and my other debts. Without that to worry about, I could buy guitars I really love when I wanted to.

13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I traded a longboard for a LTD Viper.

Knowing that I'd turn right around and get rid of the Viper a month later, I'd rather have just kept the longboard.

14. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

All dumped after a couple of years - we didn't know we were using vintage gear when we were 21:

62 Strat - 61 Fender reverb unit - 63 Tremolux head with 2 tens - 64 Bandmaster - 65 telecaster maple neck, 66 Fender Jaguar electric 12 string and last:

1965 Ampeg B15XL - direct from the factory through a connection in NJ who knew the boss. Only 4 or 5 made - I had one, Lenny Breau had one, Chet Atkins had one. JB Lansing 15 inch speaker, a steel horn, two tweeters and a crossover system. No balls for heavy gigs but a great sound.

15. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Growing up, I didn't have 2 nickels to rub together, so I never really had anything that I regret letting go, as purchased equipment goes. I did however have 2 items I built that I wish I had never gotten rid of. One was a Bass I built, and the other was a 24" x 54" amp/speaker cab that had 4 D130's with a Fender Blackface look to it, black Fender tolex, with that pretty 60's Fender grill cloth. Power amp tucked into a shelf in the rear, similar to the Silvertone 1484. Built to rival the Beatles amps of the times, we called it The Super Beach Boy !!

16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I've had a few regrets; I went through the 2000s in a bit more of a "collector" mode than now so I would try things and then flip them. I cooled that off here in the 2010s, preferring to have instruments that spoke to me - once I found one of a type (say a Tele or a Strat) I would stick with it more.

But still I wish I had this one back - a 2002 G&L ASAT Special Deluxe. I ordered this one and it came out just right - not too heavy, neck just the right depth (G&Ls could be more hit-and-miss in the neck shape and weight back then - much more hand shaping of necks, etc.). Sold it (along with 3 other guitars) to fund a Gibson Historic:

[​IMG]

No photos handy but I also miss these guitars:

• 1999 Fender AVRI '62 Strat in the "Sherwood green" (it was more emerald green than the "real" Sherwood; they got the Sherwood color right on later CS guitars and the recent AV '59 Strats - sold to fund a PRS
    • 1996 Hamer Studio cherry sunburst - one of the ones made with a wrap-tail bridge instead of the tune-o-matic and it had a back contour like a Strat or a PRS - traded on a "real" Gibson that turned out to be a dog as the neck was so green it would move enough to pop 4-5 frets loose every 4 months (not knocking Gibson; out of 6 Gibsons that's the only "dog"; the rest were great)
    • 2010 Collings 290 in their version of TV yellow - wonderful guitar; too much guitar for me really so I sold it to a guy I knew somewhat who was a great player; he made it sing like I never could
    • 2013 American Standard Tele - one of those things where you stop it to try out some amps, but wind up taking home the guitar you used instead. Sold it in 2015 when I went on hiatus (and paid off some medical bills). Should have just put that one away in the basement for when the urge to play hit me again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.