Don't bust my bushings too hard...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by McGlamRock, Sep 27, 2020.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Long story short, the tuners on my partscaster bit the big one. I bought a replacement set that were supposed to fit in the existing bushings but unfortunately they did not. I could go back and exchange the tuners for a set that would fit, but I thought this might be a fun learning opportunity.

I put in the new bushings, but the holes in the headstock were a just little too big. So I wrapped little pieces of cardboard around the new bushings and started fitting them in. I'm starting to think this might work...

Attached Files:

3-Chord-Genius and rangercaster like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I admire the creativity. :cool:
    I used small pieces of shrink wrap to fit over the slot-head tuner shafts that were missing bushings on a dumpster-find guitar.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Peace - Deeve

3. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Cut strips from an aluminium can to wrap around the bushing body to use as sleeves. It'll give a better mechanical fit without the compression you will experience over time with the cardboard.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve heard good results from the method posted above

I’ve used painters tape when this happens

mkdaws32 likes this.
  5. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

I’ve had the same problem with my Squier bullet, so at the Home Depot I bought a rod of aluminium and I’ve made the adaptors with the late. I’ve tried wrapping with everything that came to my mind but it was always a bad work, not perfectly centered and not very steady
    64C63C99-D04A-4165-94A2-84D626EA160E.jpeg 8473C868-597D-4D22-92FB-DF26394D072F.jpeg 4AF9BF51-F637-4781-8345-98496091A3E6.jpeg

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I tried the aluminium foil method and didn't like it.

So I followed another poster's advice and gradually built up the holes with superglue. When it was dry I filed away any excess, and it worked perfectly. Eight years later, no issues.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I first did this in the 1970s. Now, I can afford to just buy the correct size bushes.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm not sure how much space you have to take up, but there's a size of copper tubing that has the perfect o.d. and i.d. for putting stock tuners back where schallers used to be.
    Consider finding tubing with the proper i.d. and reaming the holes to accept it.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've tried a few things over the years. If they're just slightly off, normal sticky tape sticks well and doesn't wrinkle too much as you push the bushing in, and you can easily cut it to size before applying it so it's invisible.

If they're 8.5mm bushings going into 10mm holes, You can get nickel conversion bushings off eBay for about $5.

McGlamRock likes this.
  10. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've fixed stripped or over-large pickup bobbin screw holes this way. I learned it's important to try to keep the layer-by-layer build-up symmetrical, by the way.

hemingway likes this.
  11. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    bushings are available for about $10 if you are determined to keep the tuners

12. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

The bushings seem to be holding ok. Before I screwed the neck back to the body, I gave the headstock a good whack against the couch a few times to make sure the bushings were securely in place. Seems like they're in there pretty good.

And even though the cardboard is sticking out a bit, I think i can live with it.
    The best part is, if any of the bushings come loose at a gig, I can just ask the bartender for an empty six pack (or just a can)

Attached Files:

13. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

Spent 9mm brass works too...

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.