1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Donnie Darko

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by simonsp, Aug 7, 2015.

1. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I watched this movie again last night on TV. It's one of my very favourite movies. It starts so well, with Echo and The Bunnymen thrumming away like they're weaving a spell and never lets go its grip until the very end.

[​IMG]

But, I've never understood the reasoning surrounding the denouement of the film where (SPOILER ALERT) Donnie dies in the crash.

Can anyone enlighten me? I've always been certain that there is a logic at work, the whole film is so deftly managed that I can't believe that there would be a plot hole.

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You should check out the director's cut. It's an inferior film, but it gives a LOT more insight into what's going on.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

awesome movie

4. Reverb Dude

Reverb Dude Tele-Meister

Maybe time travel?

I have only seen the movie once but will be watching it again soon.

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I have the Director's Cut. I think it's inferior. The Bunnymen are absent from the start and while the music used is similar it's not as good. I don't remember much else being very different, I should watch it again.

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Definitely time travel, yes. And I think that the jet engine is the talked of travel machine entering the portal but I struggle to get my head around the bigger picture or logic of it.

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There are extra scenes and some excerpts from the book on time travel that shed a bit more light on things. But yeah the theatrical cut is a lot better as a film.

8. TouringBubble

TouringBubble Tele-Meister

I always thought it was effectively predestination. Donnie's death was the only way to stop the loop and "fix" the hole in time.

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

So, Donnie should have died in the first jet crash but didn't 'cos he was sleeping on the golf course? And that error results in his girlfriend's death, which can only be fixed by ...a jet falling out of the sky..Hmmm

What adds an extra layer of confusion is Donnie's illness, I think that's definitely real. Does his illness give him insights/clues about what action should be taken?

It's an amazing bit of filmmaking. I don't think there's a weak shot in the whole film. Many of the shots are bravura filmmaking, lots of mise-en-scene where multiple actions unfold in the course of a single shot.

10. blowtorch

This song is a great one, and perfect for the movie, BUT, he shoulda subtitled it "apologies to Michael Stipe" :lol:

11. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

What's the music that's playing in the party scene, where the ectoplasm stuff goes weaving through the house? It syncs brilliantly to the action.

Found it - The Church - Under The Milky Way

12. blowtorch

I've been wanting to perform that Church song for decades, just never got around to working up a version

13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Great movie, great soundtrack. That song by the Church is an all time favorite, such a mood setter. Their song Reptile is another favorite.

14. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I remember enjoying the film very much but being inevitably confused by it. It seems that there is a logic at work throughout, but there are certain very important aspects of the plot that nobody could reasonably be expected to figure out without extra help.

It's a bit like needing copious notes to understand details in a book like James Joyce's Ulysses, although in that particular case the elusive plot points are nowhere near as critical to overall understanding as they are in the case of Donnie Darko.

15. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

It is really worth while after having seen it a couple times to read the Wikipedia page on the film. There is a lot more backstory that was not in the film and explanation of things that don't get explained in the film.

16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

In a nutshell, yes, Donnie Darko should have died in the FIRST crash. When he didn't, the hole in the time/space continuum was ripped open, which as Frank says, will lead to the destruction of the universe in 8 days. Through the course of the movie, Donnie realizes Frank is telling the truth, therefore he returns to his bed that morning and sacrifices himself to save the universe.

Search the internet if you want more details. Some have suggested that DD is a superhero, and that the movie is a superhero movie.

I had to watch it a few times and surf the web to figure things out. BUT I will say this is one of my favorite WTF? movies!

17. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

I've seen an interesting theory (jeez, it might even be on Wikipedia) about how the movie is about parallel universe. It's sort of trippy. I'm not quite sure how Jake Gyllenhall gets to the point of the parallel universe.... Maybe that's the point...!!!???? The plane engine hits him and yet misses him? Jake's second movie...... October Sky first...:D

18. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

No offense meant, but I don't understand... What does Micheal Stipe have to do with this? He didn't write the song, nor sing it.... Is it because it "sounds" like REM?

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

* The Church is touring the US for the second time this year.... in August/September...

doing a joint tour with the Psychedelic Furs....

if you want to catch them..... http://thechurchband.net/

20. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the explanation, it does begin to drop the pieces into place. I wonder at what point Donnie realised the truth. Could it have been when his friend gets run over. I always wondered about his shooting Frank, he does like he's an automaton, he's not angry at him - he just shoots him (come to that where did the gun come from!)

I wonder if this means that Donnie isn't mentally ill, that his visions are real and intended as a warning. The action that he takes under their guidance result in positive benefits - the unmasking of Patrick Swayze.

It's one of those movies that leave loose threads but give you the feeling that if only you could crack the logic that everything would fall perfectly into place. (this could of course be totally illusory!).

Thank you everyone for your input, I'm going to take majorbugout's advice and check out wikipedia.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.