Donner's parent company is a pretty large conglomerate

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Jun 22, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I posted this here in the pedal forum, because that's what they're most known for, although they make guitars with the Donner name too
    https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/guangzhou-rantion-technology-co-ltd-4006311
    Their parent company makes a wide range of products under several different brand names, some of them also music and audio related
    I found this out from a post on Squier Talk, where a member there bought a Donner pedal and posted some gut shots, and the board had the company name on it
    20210614_225047.jpg 20210622_123640.jpg 20210622_123713.jpg

2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting how Japanese companies work. Mitsubishi make everything from cars to air conditioners. Subaru is part of a larger conglomerate. Etc.

I like donner pedals. It’s interesting to know this. Thanks!

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  3. Coffeemutt

Coffeemutt Tele-Meister

Eastar (band and orchestral instruments) and Moukey (recording equipment) are two other Donner-related brands that I didn't see listed on that link.

I agree with dlew919, it is indeed very interesting.

dlew919 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Except this is a Chinese company, not Japanese. We're all aware of giant Japanese companies that have their hands in everything, Like Matsushita (Panasonic), and of course Yamaha, who I just found out now also owns the iconic piano maker Bosendorfer

emisilly and Festofish like this.
  5. dlew919

my most profound and humble apologies.

dalezjc, ColdEye and northernguitar like this.
  6. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Interesting pedal, but hard to find a good demo.

7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I had a terrible experience with Donner. Just like Chrysler, never again.

8. dlew919

May I ask what happened?
    I’ve heard it said the best music company on the planet in terms of quality and range. Hard to argue.

9. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You can get timeless American made EHX classics new or used fairly cheap. I don’t need cheap Chinese pedals to save $10? Having said that...I own two that were gifts from my man.
    Caline Puffer fuzz...the lightest fuzz I’ve ever heard. Sits in the drawer.
    Xvive Singing Autowah...amazing for the money. I didn’t expect much. Excellent little pedal!
    I had a Mooer Synth...don’t do it!

emisilly, dlew919 and northernguitar like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, this is how it is done in China and probably adopted from the Japanese corporate model. Just check out Yum corporation for the fast food industry to get a better feel for how enormous these can get.

emisilly likes this.
  11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The fact that they make a variety of products is less interesting than the fact that they exist solely because of Ebay. I'm not sure most people realize how transformative eBay and later Amazon have been for creating new companies and a radically different style of getting product to market.
    Rantion started in 2009 to take advantage of cross border e-commerce sales on eBay. By 2014 they had reached $1 million in sales after expanding to Amazon. By 2017 they had sold 2 million dollars on prime day alone and had gross sales of over 70 million. That they were able to build a relatively good sized company in a competitive market without any of the traditional marketing tools or brick and mortar retail presence is new and a definite change to the way companies used to do business.

But do note they're not that big, Yamaha's music business not the other stuff has sales of over 700 million in the USA alone.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Funny, I've had the opposite!
    Loved my Dodge Caravans- drove only (bought used) Caravans for work/gigs from 1990-2014. Drove a few until they died ( very high mileage & my poor maintenance upkeep...), but they were perfect for me.

Have a pedalboard with 3 Donner pedals ( yes new, so still 'on honeymoon') on it, and using at gigs.

The RevEcho, a Chorus, and Big Muff clone- they all sound very good, and seem to be sturdy ( I play sitting down and gentle on stomping), so time will tell

13. northernguitar

I had a Grand Caravan. Shall we discuss the second or third transmission replacement?

As for Donner, all I wanted was a simple pedal tuner. Easy peasy. Eight weeks later, I had two paperweights (the replacement sent was also faulty) and was out $40.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. northernguitar

I have great pedals made in a variety of places. At present, nothing from China (save for the parts inside, which are likely MIC). I don't think that MIC means poor quality. Slave labour? Possibly.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  15. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

I always felt comforted knowing my guitar, outboard motor and turntable all came from the same factory!

dlew919 and zippofan like this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I did have a few tranny replacements, but at 175K miles or so...I just dug the Caravans, very comfy for a big guy - and perfect for gigs, so I may be a bit forgiving

17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Awesome. As a fellow pedal fiend I’m glad you’re into it. I’d probably be right there with you if I hadn’t already been collecting for 30 years when these came along. For my money...a used Boss or EHX is better. I feel confident that they’ll last. I’ve also got a couple Tone City minis that are heavy as a Boss! Good pedals too.

18. northernguitar

I had mine for doing live DJ'ing, and yes it was excellent for that. Big enough for subs and tops. However, my first transmission dies at 175k KM!! Then that one crapped out at 230k km. It also handled like a tank.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. northernguitar

I certainly have proof of the old pedals being bulletproof. My oldest on my board are a DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus and an Ibanex g10 EQ. They're both perfect. I even have the battery door for the DOD. In storage I also have an Ibanez AD Delay and BPL Phaser. All of these pedals work flawlessly with original parts.

20. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I love EHX pedals-cool designs and generally a good value. But, I have been gigging with two on my board for several years and have had more reliability issues with EHX than with Donner.

The two Donner pedals on my board, on the other hand--Yellow Fall and Ultimate Comp weren't just inexpensive--they sound great, have been super reliable, and have become my preferred delay and comp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.