1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Donner Noise Killer or Soph Gate or...??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Would the Soph Gate with loop be better? I don't see much info on people using it. Anything else in this price range to look at? I'm tempted to get the Soph Gate because it's fancier and not much more $$. But, if the Noise Killer works just as well, is the more $$ just for the loop? Is the loop something I'll need? I'm not even sure how I would setup the loop?

I'm thinking my chain would be...?

Guitar>Overdrive>Overdrive>Joyo American Sound>(Noise Gate?)>Delay/Reverb>Direct to PA or computer interface (or loop of amp)

Donner Soph Gate Intelligent Noise Gate Effects Loop Guitar Pedal True Bypass
    Donner Soph Gate is an intelligent noise gate and effect loop pedal that gives you a noise-free and full dynamic performance.
    With the intelligent noise gate algorithm, it can fully reduce the unwanted noise whatever you are using some distortion pedals or a high gain big noise amplifier.
    Threshold, Attack, Release, Hold and Return parameters help you set up your tone that easy to suit for all kinds of music genre.
    Send and return FX loop for patching noisy pedals or amplifier through or creatively sidechaining in other audio signals, provide you a satisfied noise cutting instrument playing solution.
    True bypass allows for optimum clarity and zero high-end loss.
    Once you are using Soph Gate, you will never want to remove it from your pedal board.
    https://www.donnerdeal.com/products/donner-soph-gate-intelligent-noise-gate-effects-loop-guitar-pedal-true-bypass?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldWUXFwP0u02IroPTWWHKj5RxUpMVfPYRDDPiXUpB8khuhZaH7ex3C0aAvxWEALw_wcB

upload_2021-2-25_12-36-53.png

The Noise Killer is a super easy-to-use smart noise gate pedal with two noise reduction modes. The fast noise detection and smooth attack/release keeps everything quiet without affecting the notes you played.
    Sensitive but Smooth
    The Noise Killer features smart, fast noise detection and smooth attack/release time. It reduces background noise effectively when
    you are not playing without tone sucking.
    Easy Control, Wide Flexibility
    Adjusting the noise reduction degree:-70 10dB.
    No complex, annoying noise gate settings any more! Connect this unit to your pedal-board or amp, set a threshold level, and done.
    Two Modes
    The Noise Killer offers two noise reduction modes for satisfying different musicians. For most scenarios, set it to SOFT mode; if you need stronger noise reduction, set it to HARD mode.

Donner Noise Killer Guitar Effect Pedal Noise Gate Pedal 2 Modes
    https://www.donnerdeal.com/products...ate-pedal-2-modes?_pos=3&_sid=8b2c03c82&_ss=r

upload_2021-2-25_12-44-41.png

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I wouldn't see the need for a loop with your intended signal path. You've got it in the right place in your chain - the reverb/delay afterwards will smooth out the transitions for any gate. I don't know these two products, but the noise killer has two fixed attack/release options, one of which could work perfectly for you - or not. The Soph gate will let you tailor the attack (how quickly the gate opens after you start playing) and release (how slowly the gate closes when you stop playing). Is the use of the loop optional?

There are lots of fancy "smart" gates, hum eliminators and such, but I've always found a good old Boss NS-2 to do it's job well and not kill my tone. Th NS-2 is not an expensive pedal, but a bit more than these two.

Chimey1 likes this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I used to use a noise reducer. Now I just turn down and/or turn off the distortion when the song is over.

Chimey1 likes this.
  4. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

EDIT: I think I'm confused how the Threshold works...I'll keep researching this. Still undecided on which one to get.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Aren't you the guy who was looking for a pedal power supply?

Do you actually have noise problems now? Will you have noise problems after you get a power supply?

I own a noise gate that I bought early in my pedal hobby to attack a problem that I really didn't have. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it in the last 15 years.

I'd save my money and spend it on fun stuff, if it were me.

northernguitar and Chimey1 like this.
  6. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm just so used to the silence from using my Boss GT100 multi effects pedal that has a gate/suppressor I'm gonna want a noise gate for this small budget analog pedal board I'm putting together.

Should this Amazon review on the Donner Soph Gate concern me? :

"The one big problem I encountered with this pedal is that the gate would kick in too soon and cut off sounds I didn't want it to even when I had the threshold knob turned all the way left. I was able to correct this by placing a boost between this pedal and the guitar to ensure my signal was always elevated by a few decibels. It was an easy enough problem to address, but I feel like a noise gate pedal should have a much lower threshold floor out of the box. I have a separate noise gate (without a loop obviously) that I did not have this problem with, and I imagine it might be an annoying thing to encounter for someone who doesn't happen to have a spare boost pedal lying around.

A smaller problem I encountered was that the gate did not close as quickly as I would have liked even with the "Hold" switch flipped to "quick.""

7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I'd buy another brand. I ordered a Donner 'Deluxe' tuner, direct from China. The first one arrived and it was kaput. It just wouldn't read the signal. I complained, they sent out another. This one had a broken display. It also worked like garbage, and it was a tuner fer heaven's sake. Impossible to tune a low E on a bass with it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

Hmm. Yeah, I just think the smart thing to do is get the pedals all together with the power supply and see if you actually have a problem first. But that's just me.

I'm sure any of those noise gates would be fine. But if you find out that you don't need a noise gate (like 90+ percent of all guitarists find) then even the cheapest one is an expensive door stop.

Chimey1 likes this.
  9. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

But I want one. Lol :D

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

You've got more important things to buy.

pedal.jpg

telemnemonics and Chimey1 like this.
  11. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

What the!!?? Lol :lol: Nope...I'm not even gonna look that one up.:D But, it is good to know it is safe here. :lol:

12. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Ok, I think you guys are right and talked me down. I won't be ordering a noise gate.

I'm waiting on patch cables, of all things, but I hooked up my two overdrive pedals that were delivered today into my American Sound with the long cables that I have.

All powered up fine by the Hiree power supply that was delivered today too.

I'm not getting any unmanageable noise. So, I'm good. Thanks! :)

p.s. Tell me about good, cheap fun rotary/vibe pedals...:D

13. the recluse

the recluse TDPRI Member

Coming into this late, but you also might want to check out the Joyo Gate of Kahn. Single knob mini pedal that does a great job at noise reduction. The Soph looks like a clone of the TC Electronic Sentry or EHX Silencer. Not bad pedals, but I like the simplicity of the Joyo pedal.

northernguitar and Chimey1 like this.
  14. JuneauMike

https://reverb.com/item/38207484-digitech-ventura-vibe-used
    I wanted to get this guy once upon a time (went with an EQD Depths), but Moen, BBE, and MXR have economical Vibe pedals. They are economical because they aren't real, they don't use photocells and LFOs.

Univibe is a type of phase pedal, but other modulation pedals get close enough. If you can get that Ventura for less than $100, it would be a good buy. It was sold for a short time, then discontinued, so it may someday be considered a unique find.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Chimey1 likes this.
  15. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm still looking at noise gates. I didn't really believe myself either when I said I wasn't. Lol...

A friend says he uses EHX Silencer and it works fine. I looked it up...seems affordable even new now at $70ish...but (Edit: even with that many reviews suck. Lol) I may get one anyway...

That one knob Joyo Gate of Khan looks like the Donner Noise Killer, Mooer, Caline... and a dozen other one knobers....are they all the same? Who knows...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  16. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Noise gates are fairly common in metal or other applications where you want silence in between chugs, power chords, etc., so they stand out cleanly. Think staccato as opposed to sustain.

17. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

EHX Silencer ordered. Ok, I'm done for awhile now. Wait. What? Lol :D

I think I just need a few more patch cables...maybe some 1 footers...to try this Silencer loop out. :)

northernguitar likes this.
  18. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

And...I cancelled the EHX Silencer order. I don't need a noise gate. Crazy i know.. But, I'm playing around with my new pedal setup and I have no noise issues. Except when the living room dimmer lights are on I get a buzz. And, that's an easy fix. Don't turn the living room dimmer lights on. :D

Sooo.. I have $70 for another cheap but good... pedal or two. Lol :)

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have no noise issues with pedals most of the time with SC pickups.

The two worst pedals in the past were an MXR Dyna Comp 20 years ago and an old Fuzzrite 50 years ago.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I decided not to scrimp on a gate because I like my trail off dynamics.
    Depends on how you lay and use dynamics I guess.
    Many dirt pedal demo players pretty much slam the strings over and over, while the minority is handling delicate nuance where the dying guitar signal stays audible.
    Normal rock drowns that stuff out anyhow so if you don’t need the loop design to read your guitar output then buy a two jack end of chain gate.

It’s not my business if you like $40 Chinese pedals but I don’t and my beer money went to an ISP Decimator G string.
    One thing I like compared to some of the other high end noise gates is it has one damned knob.

Sometimes I need to adjust it a little, and the thing is stupid easy to adjust.
    Cheaply made pedals and fiddly pedals annoy the hell out of me.

Oh the reason is I use Muffs which are just plain noisy.
    Dead silence when I stop is nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.