Donkey Drool.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Mar 29, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Drove to Custer State Park today, the resident troupe of begging Donkeys worked us over pretty good while searching us for handouts. Unfortunately, we didn't think to bring them anything, but they sampled the car door anyway, licking and slobbering all over the passenger side door sill. Friendly bunch, though. Next time we're going to bring them a bag of apple slices, they'll love that.

IMG_20200329_130726989_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200329_130721460.jpg

IMG_20200329_145114546_HDR.jpg

2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

And now you also have rabies....

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The poor old Donkey... like the underpaid bit actor in all those Westerns..

they copped all sorts of unkind abuse, pushed and shoved around with full loads on their backs...often on steep mountain tracks.. listening to Ya Mule!.. all day...:rolleyes:

they couldn't strut around snorting like their horsey brothers, always up front with the heroes of the action... the better rations/photo ops, etc.... no.. they got the overweight guy with a blanket and a sombrero back of shot......

I always loved the FU attitude of the old Donkeys... I'll move when I'm ready, Cowboy...:lol:

stormsedge likes this.
  4. John Backlund

Maybe, but they're probably cute, but stubborn, rabies.

trev333 likes this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the venerable donkey. some apples would be nice... I miss going out to feed the animules... breaking bread with friends.

nick0 and John Backlund like this.
  6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I remember being in Custer and coming up on a heard of buffalo. I got way too close, and they came even closer. I was on my Low Rider. My wife freaked. Good times.

7. John Backlund

The park Buffalo were all over the place today, we must have seen several hundred of them near the Wildlife Loop Road. We also spotted one Pronghorn, and a small group of Bighorn Sheep in the park.

We took a long drive today, down to Custer Park and back, but we never got out of the car.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the smile you brought to my face. That's a nice break from chaos on the home front. For those dudes you don't need to slice the apples. :)

John Backlund likes this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

On the deer lease one year my brother and I went in his VW square back. We misjudged the time when the cows were moved from one area to the next and got swarmed by 75-80 cows. Licking the windows, windshield, doors, antenna, & tires.
    Lost the antenna & a wiper blade before they all moved on and we could enter the hunting compound
    I had forgotten about that until just now. Good memories

stormsedge likes this.
  10. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I hope you didn't laugh at them... that can be very dangerous!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    SPUDCASTER and Kirchensfan like this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

We loved Custer when we stopped in SD on our "Great Divide" trip a couple of years ago. The loops you mention are key to really seeing the animals, but I think most people overlook/avoid them because they are unpaved (as they should be). The day we were there, the bison were congregated away from the paved roads, but we saw hundreds and spring calves from the gravel. I guess we missed the donkeys:(.

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

A couple of years ago, I carried my ground blind to a ridge top (for coyotes), and one particular cow got interested in my bundle, following me up. I figured she'd move on when there was no chow and set up anyway. I sat down to watch the low ground, and within a half an hour I was surrounded by the entire staff of Farmer Chris' beef on the hoof. "Nothing to see here". LOL. I left my blind there and used it one other time before they trampled it.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Did a road trip a while back Las Vegas to Las Angelas. Just out of Lake Havasu we wandered into an old mining village, Oatman I think it was called. Anyways, when the mining company moved out they left the donkeys behind and they did OK. Now it's just a small place with a few tourists but the donkeys are the natives! They have absolute right of way. The fellah in the pic. was kicking the door of the shop because it was closed and he wanted the food that the shopkeeper usually gave him. Oatman Arizona 6.JPG

SPUDCASTER and stormsedge like this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My aunt raises miniature donkeys. My wife has a picture of me dragging two of them back to the barn - she captured it "Dragging A$$".

SPUDCASTER, 8trackmind and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Everytime we pass one I say "what's that jacka $$ doing" in a deadpan manner.
    My wife hates it.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Simpson and his Donkey are legends down here...:)

[​IMG] https://www.anzacs.net/Simpson.htm

"Attack and counter attack began.

During the morning hours of April 26th , along with his fellows, Jack was carrying casualties back to the beach over his shoulder – it was then that he saw the donkey. Jack knew what he had to do."

"In these amazing 24 days he was to rescue over 300 men down the notorious Monash Valley. His prodigious, heroic feat was accomplished under constant and ferocious attack from artillery, field guns and sniper fire. "

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.