Done with Guitar GAS - now it's time for some amp GAS

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tfarny, Aug 16, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The more I play the more I realize that I already have great electric guitars thatjust about meet all my needs - and nearly all of my wants. One mod to one guitar and I'll be done with them for a while.

But also the more I play, the more I realize that I want to own a couple / few classic tube amps. I have been on the "tube fence" for a long time - I have owned a variety of amps, of different kinds. There are some good SS amps, and I have owned TWO Katanas, so don't get me started there. None of them that I have owned and played, if I'm being really honest, have sounded as nice as a simple cranked DRRI. I will probably keep my Roland Blues Cube but it's time for me to step up and get old-fashioned.

I'm an occasional bar gigger, no more no less. A 112 combo is really all I will ever need, and even though part of me is tempted to just dive into the future and go for a Helix, whatever, for that $ I could get a couple of classic style tube amps that would be all the tones I would ever want from a Helix anyhow.

I basically have always had a couple of sounds in my head: A Vox tone from fairly clean to a bit crunchy. The other one is (of course) a clean-ish Fender tone, but maybe not sparkly clean. Deluxe to Vibrolux is probably where I'm at there. With those two sounds (Vox and blackface), and POSSIBLY a big-bottle Tweed amp like a 5e5-a, I think I would be good to go, would never need a firmward update, no USB cables in my gig bag, etc. I have no need or desire for more gain than, for instance, an AC15 can provide stock.

I've narrowed the possibilities down to several (on the used market; I'm quite the cheapskate). If people have owned the '68 Custom Deluxe RI amp, how does it compare to the regular DRRI? And does the "revoiced" normal channel really sound like a Bassman? I thought that seemed like quite a claim to make. I doubt I will get a chance to play before buying.
    Another possibility is one of the Super-Sonic series. They are supposed to have BF and Tweed tones available from the normal channel - do they really do a convincing job of it?
    Third possibility is to start the journey with another Ceriatone - maybe one of their Matchless clones or their 5e8-a or 5e5-a clone. I can make my own cab and I am very happy with the Champ they made me.

As you can see, I'm all over the place. I figure to spend between $500 and 1000 for each of the two / three amps I'm looking for. A piece of me does wonder if an old Hot Rod Deluxe and a beat up AC15 @$350 each would satisfy me....Anything you can see that I'm missing?

2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah...something lightweight.

I'm kidding but only kinda. Have you seen the MarkBass guitar amps? If I was in your position I would give this a hard look.

Here's a better player with one.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I haven't - but I've decided that I'm gonna give old-fashioned a try. I've been playing a Katana and a Blues Cube for a couple years now. Time to see if I'm really missing anything. Not gonna convince me not to try the old stuff.

I also don't see much advantage to super-light over just light - if I can carry it in one hand, pedalboard / gear bag in the other, & a guitar in a gig bag on my back, I'm happy. Doesn't have to be 2 lb or something.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a new B-stock AC15C1 for $435 from Full Compass a couple of years back. Never found a thing wrong with it. It really is a great amp. The tones are great and they're a cool contrast to Classic Fender. It's a very loud 15-watts too.

The DRRI sounds really nice though. I've been kinda daydreaming about the '68 Custom Deluxe for a couple of years now. I feel like it would complete the stable.

5. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

as a Marshall crossover to older Silverface player now...the 68 CDR is a darn good amp ! it does clean & some nasty OD. I was able to get just about anything i desired out of it..it took every guitar well Gibson & Fender..it acts just like my classics. I have the Super RI also..love it cdr1.jpg

gridlock and Dismalhead like this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You are all over the place.
    I like some of the new supros.
    Put all 3 and get a drz ghia..tad better than vox ballpark
    Have fun

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I dont know if "I want a Vox and a Fender" is "all over the place" - I have played one of the new supros and I liked it, but like I said, I have two basic ballpark sounds I need / want. DR Z seems boutique to me, never tried one they just seem like super-expensive souped up versions of classic amps. I just want a couple classic amps.

Edit: I just realized I said I was all over the place in my OP. Oops!:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    uriah1 likes this.
  8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Guitars, then amps ... Then effect boxes ... Soon your rig will sound so great you will need some recording gear ... Then you will need a PA system for all the gigs you will be getting... Then you need a semi for your gear and a tour bus for your band and crew ... Next, a place to park them ...

tfarny likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm not that interested in effects. My "board" has has had just an EQ, trem, and delay on it for 6 months now. With the right amp I could get that down to a delay and a channel switcher.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.