Done with cartridge razors. Tell me about DE Safety Razors for beginners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

Can you post a pic of the 1917 razor?

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I shave every day since I was about 12 years old. I'm 69 now. I started out using a hand-me-down Gillette safety razor from my dad and Gillette Super Blue blades. We switched to stainless steel blades right away when they hit the market. I like the Mach 3 razor now. I get razor rash with the double edge stuff, too easy to take off a layer of skin.

I think your rash has more to do with technique than tools, and shaving so infrequently isn't helping you. Try this:

*Shave every day. You will get better at it. Your skin will get used to it quickly and be less vulnerable. And you won't start looking shabby at the end of the week.
    *Stop shaving in the shower. Lather up and shave in the sink after your shower. Keeping the lather on the whiskers helps.
    *Lighten up your touch. If you only shave once a week, you don't need to get every last whisker down to the skin. Shaving every day, you will look better than you do now even if you don't go ultra close.
    *Use an after shave

Colin1230 likes this.
  3. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Man up and use a straight razor, you will soon learn how not to cut yourself, seriously though, just take care with any safety razor, they are easy enough to use, generations successfully used them. If unsure, practicecshaving a balloon as barbers used too.

4. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yup 5 blades, Schick Hydro here too!

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I know its not "cool like all the old school things but the vibrating Gilletes are amazing to me. Best shave I ever had and have stuck with them since they came out.

The vibrating is absolute magic. Plus I do it IN the shower, skins nice and warm, soft and ready for action.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A Merkur 34c and a can of Barbasol is all you really need (the whole brush/soap thing many people believe that automatically goes with a DE is BS)

If you don't shave daily and have thick stubble ,and have acquired a bit of experience, a FATIP Picollo is an amazingly efficient razor.

And of course good TECHNIQUE that is 99% of what you need for a comfortable close shave.

You will have to stop shaving in auto pilot mode and actually THINK of what you are doing .

And remember that beard REDUCTION is key: you will need 2-4 passes for a very close shave ,but even one pass if done properly will make you presentable.

Also shaving AFTER you shower is pretty much essential.

Thankfully there's a ton of "wet shaving'' (what a BS term by the way...) in YT that you can refer to for DE technique.

I have been shaving with a DE daily since 1981 (when I started shaving) and the thought of using a cartridge or disposable razor (I fly a lot and never check in bags) always gives me the creeps (shaving with those contraptions is inefficient, irritating and SLOW).

Also those things are indestructible..

I still have my first razor ever ,a Gillette Fatboy from the late 50s my grandpa gave me in 1981) and use it often.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  7. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

Although I'm a beardy weirdy I still keep me' neck trimmed. I've used DE razors my whole hair strimming life. They are simple to use and the blades are far cheaper than cartridges (there's a reason the handles are usually free).
    Don't over-think it, let the handle do the work and make sure the fuzz is good n' wet. You'll suss it a couple of shaves in.
    For blades, whatever is in the shop, feathers are good though. For razors I use a Jagger DE86 for regular growth and a Merkur slant for heavy growth.
    Alternatively, just grow a wild one, neck and all!

Ricky D. and stnmtthw like this.
  8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Just to add- I actually enjoy shaving with a safety razor since I figured out how to do it properly. Its nice to have an extra 20 minutes to myself and just systematically work through something. Its relaxing, as odd as that sounds.

9. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Merkur and Astra: inexpensive, reliable, efficient ... ‘nuff said ...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  10. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I usually shave with my Merkur 15c with Gillette Platinum blades. I have a Merkur Futur, but despite being a pricy razor it gives a lousy shave.

Find a good preshave. I prefer the Proraso preshave with is a rich cream, but the oil based are good, too. A decent aftershave is a must. Again I go with Proraso because is less perfumed than many and soothes the skin. Clubman is good because it has that “barbershop “ smell. I go with a three pass shave. I change blades every three shaves, but buy a 100 at a time for $12.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Get a copy of the Merkur Futur adjustable double-edge razor and set it to 1 to start with and work your way up to whatever you want.

You can buy 100 top quality Astra blades for under $9.

Get a sensitive skin shaving soap, King of Shaves, or use aqueous cream.

Here's the razor I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F29M2X5/?tag=tdpri-20

12. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

when i shaved regularly i learned that to avoid irritation i had to shave dry or maybe just a little hot water after i got out of the shower or tub.

i used the disposable double blade bic razors.

dry and cold works too but you have to commit to a quicker speed

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

This pretty much.

It’s not the razor, it is more likely one or more of:

- Skin is not clean enough
    - Not shaving often enough and the hair is too long
    - Razor is dull/rusted/tarnished from too many uses or sitting too long

This is probably something a dermatologist would be able to help with. It can actually be a low level infection that you’re getting into the skin when you shave.

I have had this issue and have really thick/coarse hair. If I skip a day it’s a heck of a lot worse. The biggest things that have helped were to religiously toss the blade after 7 days, always wash skin with hot wat and a known good soap before putting shaving cream on,and not to shave too close through pressure or by using one of the 5-blade razors.

Some people sterilize the razor or even keep the blade in alcohol.

Ricky D. likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know the OP was hot after a DE razor, but having used those things for years, and inflicting many embarrassing injuries to my mug, I gave up on those long ago. I use the cheapest razor you can get at Walmart, works perfectly, never cut myself ever. They last forever, I just throw one away when I get tired of looking at it, I don't think they ever wear out.

[​IMG]

Ricky D. likes this.
  15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I've been using a 1958 Gillette Fatboy for about 5 years now, usually with Gillette Silver Blue blades, sometimes with Feathers. I'm never paying those ludicrous prices for multi-blade cartridges when I can get 100 excellent DE blades for under $20.

I never cut myself - well maybe I'll slightly nick an ear once every twelve months or so.

[​IMG]

Once in a while I'll use another razor though - mostly vintage post-WW2 Gillette Superspeeds or adjustables...

[​IMG]

16. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I started out with a Merkur short-handle quite a few years ago. About two years ago my kids got me a 1958 Gillette Super and I have been using that, mostly. I use Stirling soap (bergamot lavender) and usually finish with a splash of their witch hazel and aloe. I buy a couple hundred blades at a time. Right now I’m using Astra, but I like the Shark blades as well.

KevinB likes this.
  17. KevinB

I use Stirling’s products too. They’re great people and have a huge range of high quality, very fairly priced items.

I’m on “Sandpiper” at the moment. :)

bsman likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use the BIC single blade cheapie's in "Sensitive Skin". I change them every couple of shaves. They work well. Probably similar to a DE shave being single blade. Maybe just try them. Why mess with a dirty metal holder? With these you get a clean holder every time you start a new one.

19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Already too much one-use plastic in the waste stream. That’s the main reason I went the DE route

20. KevinB

Just to address your questions...

First off, You should probably see a dermatologist about the irritation. I probably wouldn't look for medical advice on a guitar forum!

Secondly, a Merkur or an Edwin Jagger (they may actually share the same head) is an excellent razor. Some people say the chrome plated zamak heads (on a chrome plated brass handle) are prone to corrosion but I have a Jagger that's over 10 years old that looks like it's brand new. They do need just a small amount of care. A hot water rinse after each use and a scrub with some soft soap and an old toothbrush every month or so removes any residual soap scum.

Personally, I like a bit of weight in my razors and I have large hands so that's why I prefer the long handled versions (and the weight of a Gillette Fatboy) but that's just my personal preference. I don't buy that shorter handles might be better for beginners.

Your Barbasol will be fine for now. Companies like Stirling have unscented soaps that might be better for you. They sell for about $10 for a puck that will last you at least 3-4 months. And as nice as a good badger brush is you really don't need to spend a fortune. Stirling has excellent brushes - a synthetic one rather than traditional badger or boar might be best for you - in the $10-$12 range. After you've tried a good brush and soap you won't be going back to Barbasol. Dove will work but those soaps don't have the richness of a true shave soap and you won't get as smooth a shave.

That's an excellent idea to buy a sample pack of blades. They're all a little different and none of them are that expensive but I do think you get what you pay for.

I have a bunch of razors but I don't have any of them to prove anything. I got interested a few years back when I decided I wanted one just like my dad used and I ended up with a small collection. Most of the vintage ones I have came from eBay and I bought them in the $20 - $50 price range. I gave each of them a good cleaning and disinfected them with Barbicide. There's a certain charm to the vintage razors; American design and manufacturing at its most inventive although the Canadian and English made ones have probably the highest quality. The older ones were made from nickel plated brass by complex machines that turned them out in the millions. Gillette sold them at a loss as they were making a ton of money on blades; an adjustable Fatboy was given a model number of 195 when they were sold in the late 1950's as the price was $1.95. When Gillette realized they could make a lot more money by selling cartridges in the early 1970's they either scrapped, or sold off, all the old machinery that made both razors and DE blades, which is why most of the blades are now manufactured in the third world. Many "modern" razors are also made in developing countries but typically with somewhat inferior metals. And recently there has been a resurgence and the market has plenty of stainless steel, fully machined examples at prices well into the hundreds of dollars. Beautifully made razors...but not for me!

As I said in a previous post, I nick myself very, very rarely, and it's usually on an ear. It's just not a concern for me at all.

Good luck with your shaving!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.